Old 03-28-2008, 11:41 AM
"Tom Horsley"

Default Where's the bluetooth jargon demystifier?

I go to the official bluez-utils web site and their documentation page
basically says "You don't want to look at our docs, they suck.".

I go to the official bluetooth web site and their documentation either
tells me why I ought to be making bluetooth devices or talks about
radio spectrum and communications layers.

Where is the web page that explains to a human what the gibberish
in the hcid.conf man page actually means?

All I'm trying to do is arrange for my bluetooth keyboard (which definitely
works with manual poking and prodding) to work automatically once
my fedora 8 system has booted. Seems like it ought to be a simple task :-).

Old 03-28-2008, 09:26 PM
Tom Horsley

On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 12:41:56 +0000
"Tom Horsley" <tom.horsley@att.net> wrote:

> All I'm trying to do is arrange for my bluetooth keyboard (which definitely
> works with manual poking and prodding) to work automatically once
> my fedora 8 system has booted. Seems like it ought to be a simple task :-).

The more I poke around with bluetooth searches on the web, the more
it seems like I had the good fortune to buy my bluetooth keyboard
at the exact same time hidd is going away and the new hcid input server
is replacing it. Perhaps this will all work if I start an annoying
gnome session and use the gnome bluetooth tools to setup the files
I need in the /var/lib/bluetooth directory. Hopefully I won't have
to run gnome all the time to get the keyboard to continue to work...

Old 03-28-2008, 09:31 PM
Bill Davidsen

Tom Horsley wrote:

I go to the official bluez-utils web site and their documentation page
basically says "You don't want to look at our docs, they suck.".

I go to the official bluetooth web site and their documentation either
tells me why I ought to be making bluetooth devices or talks about
radio spectrum and communications layers.

Where is the web page that explains to a human what the gibberish
in the hcid.conf man page actually means?

All I'm trying to do is arrange for my bluetooth keyboard (which definitely
works with manual poking and prodding) to work automatically once
my fedora 8 system has booted. Seems like it ought to be a simple task :-).

I have given up on BT for the moment. Under Windows there's a utility
which shows the mouse, the keyboard, the printer, and all the nearby
cell phones. Under Linux there's an icon which you can click (using a
PS2 mouse) which does nada. And after downloading all the bluez stuff
without reading the documentation (there is none on using the software,
as you note), no amount of clicking, typing, or swearing made anything
happen.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>

Old 03-28-2008, 10:32 PM
James Pifer

> > I go to the official bluez-utils web site and their documentation page
> > basically says "You don't want to look at our docs, they suck.".
> >
> > I go to the official bluetooth web site and their documentation either
> > tells me why I ought to be making bluetooth devices or talks about
> > radio spectrum and communications layers.
> >
> > Where is the web page that explains to a human what the gibberish
> > in the hcid.conf man page actually means?
> >
> > All I'm trying to do is arrange for my bluetooth keyboard (which definitely
> > works with manual poking and prodding) to work automatically once
> > my fedora 8 system has booted. Seems like it ought to be a simple task :-).
> >
> I have given up on BT for the moment. Under Windows there's a utility
> which shows the mouse, the keyboard, the printer, and all the nearby
> cell phones. Under Linux there's an icon which you can click (using a
> PS2 mouse) which does nada. And after downloading all the bluez stuff
> without reading the documentation (there is none on using the software,
> as you note), no amount of clicking, typing, or swearing made anything
> happen.

I've had similar experiences. I'm actually running OpenSuse 10.3 on my
laptop now. I'm running gnome but I have to run kbluetooth to get the
mouse to work. Couldn't get gnome to see it at all. Even with
kbluetooth, the mouse quits after a certain amount of inactivity.
Haven't figured out how much though. When this happens I have to
manually make kbluetooth reconnect. Very frustrating.

Same mouse and same laptop running Vista I never had these issues. It
was found easily and never disconnected.

James

Old 03-29-2008, 09:53 AM
Mike

James Pifer <jep <at> obrien-pifer.com> writes:

> I've had similar experiences. I'm actually running OpenSuse 10.3 on my
> laptop now. I'm running gnome but I have to run kbluetooth to get the
> mouse to work. Couldn't get gnome to see it at all. Even with
> kbluetooth, the mouse quits after a certain amount of inactivity.
> Haven't figured out how much though. When this happens I have to
> manually make kbluetooth reconnect. Very frustrating.

I use the following for bluetooth mouse - it seems to work reliably:

hidd --server --search (as root)

Then reset the mouse and it will pair up.

Then chkconfig --level 35 hidd on

That is it ! (Bluetooth should already running but check first)

(Can check as user by hidd --show to check it is paired)

Old 03-29-2008, 10:03 AM
Mike

Mike <mike.cloaked <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I use the following for bluetooth mouse - it seems to work reliably:

I realised that the info I gave you was for FC7 !

I also realised I had not used my BT mouse on my F8 laptop, and am in the
same boat as you guys!

However might be worth looking at
man hcid.conf

also
less /etc/bluetooth/hcid.conf

I guess I should play with this later this weekend and will report back
if I get my BT mouse working in F8. However the first thing is to ensure
service bluetooth start
and go from there...

Old 03-29-2008, 10:30 AM
Tom Horsley

On Sat, 29 Mar 2008 11:03:28 +0000 (UTC)
Mike <mike.cloaked@gmail.com> wrote:

> I also realised I had not used my BT mouse on my F8 laptop, and am in the
> same boat as you guys!

As near as I can tell, the theory is that hidd is obsolete and the
new InputService does the job. I accidentally stumbled across a
wiki page that gave an example of some dbus gibberish used to
feed the input service various info: http://wiki.bluez.org/wiki/Input
(I've rarely seen such dense gibberish :-).

My impression is also that the gnome-bluetooth stuff is supposed to
know how to talk to this thing, but the gui for bluetooth preferences
is barely less cryptic than the wiki page.

By using the gnome utility in combination with manually running
hidd --search and taking the back off the keyboard to get to the
button I need to push to make it connect, I finally got the input
service to record some files in the /var/lib/bluetooth tree, but
even with the files there, I still don't get the keyboard automatically
reconnected on a reboot - I still need to run hidd --search and
push the button.

It works much better with the logitech dongle that simply make it look
like a USB keyboard, but unfortunately X or the linux USB layer
or something doesn't recognize the mouse protocol, so the touchpad
will only work with the bluetooth adapter.

So right now my choices are: No mouse, or no auto connection.

Old 03-29-2008, 04:07 PM
Mike

Tom Horsley <tom.horsley <at> att.net> writes:

> As near as I can tell, the theory is that hidd is obsolete and the
> new InputService does the job. I accidentally stumbled across a
> wiki page that gave an example of some dbus gibberish used to
> feed the input service various info: http://wiki.bluez.org/wiki/Input
> (I've rarely seen such dense gibberish .

OK I use KDE.

I just powered up my Dell D610 laptop and did
yum install kdebluetooth.

Checked that service bluetooth status showed bluetooth was running.

Then went to
K -> System -> Bluetooth Wizard

I switched on the BT mouse and it was listed - and I clicked connect - and
hit the rest button on the mouse. It paired and works fine.

I don't know what the equivalent Gnome method is but this works fine for KDE.

Old 03-29-2008, 04:49 PM
Mike

Mike <mike.cloaked <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I just powered up my Dell D610 laptop and did
> yum install kdebluetooth.
>
> Checked that service bluetooth status showed bluetooth was running.
>
> Then went to
> K -> System -> Bluetooth Wizard
>
> I switched on the BT mouse and it was listed - and I clicked connect - and
> hit the rest button on the mouse. It paired and works fine.
>
> I don't know what the equivalent Gnome method is but this works fine for KDE.

I have been fiddling with this - and removed the BT mouse from the list
in the popup for some of the services - and now I can't get it to work...

So some reading will now be needed!

Old 03-29-2008, 05:53 PM
Mike

Mike <mike.cloaked <at> gmail.com> writes:

> So some reading will now be needed!

I went back to my start point :

As root did
hidd --server --search
clicked reset and it paired up with the Logitech BT mouse.

After rebooting it was not connected!

So I had to do as root
hidd --connect BT-MAC-Address
and then it connected...

So there is something not right with bluetooth -

Maybe someone else on this list can help out here?