-   -   Can't start gdm (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/613735-cant-start-gdm.html)

Joe Zeff 12-25-2011 12:46 AM

Can't start gdm

I tried installing kdm and modifying /etc/sysconfig/desktop to use it,
but X is still trying to use gdm. I'm not sure, but it might be because
I was told to specify KDE, not KDM. However, I'm now getting a log file
from gdm that contains this:

gnome-session[1537]: ERROR: Unable to open '/etc/dconf/db/gdm',
specified in dconf profile

Checking, there isn't any such file, and the dconf profile reads as follows:

user
gdm

I'm not sure what's going on, but I'm going to try uninstalling and
reinstalling gdm, as I'm not sure at this point that simply having yum
reinstall it is sufficient. (See, I do learn from other people's
experience.)

"T.C. Hollingsworth" 12-25-2011 01:22 AM

Can't start gdm

On Sat, Dec 24, 2011 at 6:46 PM, Joe Zeff <joe@zeff.us> wrote:
> I tried installing kdm and modifying /etc/sysconfig/desktop to use it, but X
> is still trying to use gdm. *I'm not sure, but it might be because I was
> told to specify KDE, not KDM. *However, I'm now getting a log file from gdm
> that contains this:

"KDE" is correct. My system has:

% cat /etc/sysconfig/desktop
DESKTOP="KDE"
DISPLAYMANAGER="KDE"

A quick look at /etc/X11/prefdm verifies that's correct too.

-T.C.

Joe Zeff 12-25-2011 01:31 AM

Can't start gdm