Old 12-24-2011, 11:26 PM
Derek Tattersall

Default Set up serial console for fedora 16

I am in the process of setting up a router/file server using F16. I
would like have the boot messages go to the serial console.

How do you do that in F16?

It seems to use a different version of grub than other versions, and
what worked in F14 won't work in F16. I think. Or will it?

Thanks.

Derek Tattersall

Old 12-25-2011, 12:27 AM
"T.C. Hollingsworth"

On Sat, Dec 24, 2011 at 5:26 PM, Derek Tattersall <tatters@newsguy.com> wrote:
> I am in the process of setting up a router/file server using F16. I would
> like have the boot messages go to the serial console.
>
> How do you do that in F16?
>
> It seems to use a different version of grub than other versions, and what
> worked in F14 won't work in F16. I think. Or will it?

The format of the GRUB configuration file is slightly different, but
you still use the same kernel argument (console=ttyS<N>,<options>).

No matter what version of GRUB you're using, you can add kernel
arguments easily with grubby. For example:
# grubby --update-kernel=ALL --args='console=ttyS1,9600'

-T.C.