Old 12-24-2011, 02:30 PM
Aaron Konstam

Default Listings Question About Ping

On Fri, 2011-12-23 at 22:59 +0100, Reindl Harald wrote:

> >> you need to understand what SETUID and CAPABILITIES are
> >> what examples are you expecting? these are technics
> >>
> >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Setuid
> >> http://kernel.org/doc/man-pages/online/pages/man7/capabilities.7.html
> >
> > Examples of a specific capability replaces a setuid. You web pages were
> > of more help.
>
> [harry@srv-rhsoft:~]$ getcap /bin/ping
> /bin/ping = cap_net_raw+ep
I see the cap_net_raw in man capabilities. But what does the +ep do?

Old 12-24-2011, 03:31 PM
Reindl Harald

Am 24.12.2011 16:30, schrieb Aaron Konstam:

>>> Examples of a specific capability replaces a setuid. You web pages were
>>> of more help.
>>
>> [harry@srv-rhsoft:~]$ getcap /bin/ping
>> /bin/ping = cap_net_raw+ep
> I see the cap_net_raw in man capabilities. But what does the +ep do?

sometimes google is your friend for details after get pointed in the right direction

http://linux.die.net/man/3/cap_from_text

A textual representation of capability sets consists of one or more whitespace-separated clauses. Each clause
specifies some operations on a capability set; the set starts out with all capabilities lowered, and the meaning of
the string is the state of the capability set after all the clauses have been applied in order.

Each clause consists of a list of comma-separated capability names (or the word 'all'), followed by an action-list.
An action-list consists of a sequence of operator flag pairs. Legal operators are: '=', '+', and '-'. Legal flags
are: 'e', 'i', and 'p'. These flags are case-sensitive and specify the Effective, Inheritable and Permitted sets
respectively.

In the capability name lists, all names are case-insensitive. The special name 'all' specifies all capabilities; it
is equivalent to a list naming every capability individually.

Unnamed capabilities can also be specified by number. This feature ensures that libcap can support capabilities
that were not allocated at the time libcap was compiled. However, generally upgrading libcap will add names for
recently allocated capabilities.

The '=' operator indicates that the listed capabilities are first reset in all three capability sets. The
subsequent flags (which are optional when associated with this operator) indicate that the listed capabilities for
the corresponding set are to be raised. For example: "all=p" means lower every capability in the Effective and
Inheritable sets but raise all of the Permitted capabilities; or, "cap_fowner=ep" means raise the Effective and
Permitted override-file-ownership capability, while lowering this Inheritable capa

Old 12-24-2011, 06:21 PM
Joe Zeff

On 12/24/2011 06:45 AM, Tim wrote:

We're mostly sensitive to green, then red,
then blue.

Not quite, AIUI. The wavelength the human eye is most sensitive to is
in the "greenish yellow" range, much more yellow than green.
Considering that the Sun is a yellow dwarf, it's much more likely for us
to find the wavelengths near and/or at its peak output to be easiest to
see rather than something off to one side.

Old 12-25-2011, 12:05 PM
Tim

Tim:
>> We're mostly sensitive to green, then red, then blue.

Joe Zeff:
> Not quite, AIUI. The wavelength the human eye is most sensitive to is
> in the "greenish yellow" range, much more yellow than green.

Well, as far as coloured sight goes, the primary colours are red, green,
and blue. That is, the sensors in our eyes are attuned to those
colours, with a small spread either side of them. All other colours
(e.g. yellow, cyan, magenta) are seen as combinations of the primaries.
And the non-colour sensitive parts of our eyes see the colours in the
proportions that I mentioned before, but without being able to tell
which colour is which. From the point of the receptors, it is green
that we see the most. If one were to draw a rainbow across a page as a
graph of the sensitivity of our eyesight, there's a peak around the
green, that slopes off either way, with the blue side sloping off faster
than the red side.

And then you have our display mechanisms, whether CRT, LCD, or other,
which show colours in the same way (primaries of red, green, and blue,
with all the other colours being created by combinations).

You're arguing with a cameraman and television engineer, this is all
very basic information to what we do.

> Considering that the Sun is a yellow dwarf, it's much more likely for us
> to find the wavelengths near and/or at its peak output to be easiest to
> see rather than something off to one side.

It's not actually yellow. If you were going to argue the line of us
being sensitive to the colour of the sun, actually it's far more logical
that we're least sensitive to the strongest colours about.

And for our next off-topic, do we have someone who'd like to discuss the
theory of relativity for us? ;-) Makes a change from discussing why
Gnome and Windows suck.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

Old 12-25-2011, 04:41 PM
Joe Zeff

On 12/25/2011 05:05 AM, Tim wrote:

It's not actually yellow. If you were going to argue the line of us
being sensitive to the colour of the sun, actually it's far more logical
that we're least sensitive to the strongest colours about.

As long as we're on that subject for a moment, I'd like to comment that
I learned back in the mid '80s that there's no such thing as a green
star. The frequency range for green is so narrow, that even if a star's
peak output is inside it there's going to be enough from one side or the
other that we'd see it as either blue or yellow. This, BTW, was from a
friend with a degree in Astronomy, so I'd tend to believe him.