Old 12-24-2011, 07:38 PM
Rahul Sundaram

Default Why updatedb doesn't traverse my external HD?

On 12/25/2011 01:51 AM, JB wrote:

> Anything mounted on /media has to be of actual "type" of that media.
> Btw, a CD mounted on /media, even if temporarily, represents "a persistent
> storage device", and certainly NOT "volatile memory" (e.g. of type shm).
>
> I think systemd devs need to remove it - it is a pure nonsense.

Remove what?

Rahul

Old 12-24-2011, 07:39 PM
"T.C. Hollingsworth"

On Sat, Dec 24, 2011 at 1:21 PM, JB <jb.1234abcd@gmail.com> wrote:
> Anything mounted on /media has to be of actual "type" of that media.
> Btw, a CD mounted on /media, even if temporarily, represents "a persistent
> storage device", and certainly NOT "volatile memory" (e.g. of type shm).
>
> I think systemd devs need to remove it - it is a pure nonsense.

/media is on tmpfs simply because it's faster to keep the mountpoints
in memory than on disk. That way, you don't have to hit your root
disk just to locate something that is almost certainly on another
disk. It doesn't affect the mounts below it in any way.

-T.C.

Old 12-24-2011, 07:44 PM
Rahul Sundaram

On 12/25/2011 12:28 AM, Marko Vojinovic wrote:

> (1) What is the proper place to customize this configuration? I want /media to
> be ext4, so that it doesn't get excluded by updatedb. I know I could
> reconfigure the /lib/systemd/system/media.mount, but that would probably be
> overwritten on update or something. How are these things meant to be
> customized?

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Systemd#How_do_I_customize_a_unit_file.2F_add_a_cu stom_unit_file.3F

Rahul

Old 12-24-2011, 07:57 PM