Old 12-23-2011, 10:49 AM
"Daniel Bossert"

Default SSH on Fedora 16

Hi all

I did a fresh install of Fedora 16 two days ago.
Really I searched much on the internet but couldn't find any solution.

I have the problem that I only can connect locally to my PC, not from
remote with ssh.

First he denied the connection, so I went and disabled the firewall even
though port 22 was enabled..
Now I can connect, but entering the password is always the wrong one?

I checked with service sshd restart, checked chkconfig for sshd on on
runlevel 3-5..

Has anyone a solution?

Kind regards
Daniel

--
PGP-Key-ID: 0x7C7A722B

Old 12-23-2011, 12:32 PM
Roberto Ragusa

On 12/23/2011 12:49 PM, Daniel Bossert wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I did a fresh install of Fedora 16 two days ago.
> Really I searched much on the internet but couldn't find any solution.
>
> I have the problem that I only can connect locally to my PC, not from
> remote with ssh.
>
> First he denied the connection, so I went and disabled the firewall even
> though port 22 was enabled..
> Now I can connect, but entering the password is always the wrong one?

Are you using root or a normal user?
Root login may be disabled in /etc/ssh/sshd_config.

Roberto Ragusa mail at robertoragusa.it

Old 12-23-2011, 12:43 PM
Daniel Bossert

Hi Roberto.

I am connecting as normal user, I don't want to connect as root remotely.

Kind regards and thank you

Daniel

--

Skickat från min Android-telefon med K-9 E-post. Ursäkta min fåordighet.

Roberto Ragusa mail at robertoragusa.it

Old 12-23-2011, 12:46 PM
Frank Murphy

I am connecting as normal user, I don't want to connect as root remotely.
Kind regards and thank you
Daniel
--

Is the keymap correct for your language?
type "locale" at command prompt.

Frank Murphy
UTF_8 Encoded
Friend of fedoraproject.org

Old 12-23-2011, 01:30 PM
suvayu ali

Hi Daniel,

2011/12/23 Daniel Bossert <db@dabo.ch>:
> I am connecting as normal user, I don't want to connect as root remotely.

It would be helpful if you could give more details and say what
command you are trying and its output with the verbose flag set like
this -vvv.

PS: Please do not top post on this list.

--
Suvayu

Old 12-23-2011, 02:14 PM
Tom Horsley

On Fri, 23 Dec 2011 15:30:16 +0100
suvayu ali wrote:

> It would be helpful if you could give more details and say what
> command you are trying and its output with the verbose flag set like
> this -vvv.

Yep, the -vvv option on the remote ssh and taking a look at /var/log/messages
and /var/log/secure should provide details about why failure happens.
Perhaps the sshd_config file is set to only allow public key connections?
That would certainly make a password attempt fail (and is how I have my
server setup for remote connections versus local network connections
where I do allow passwords).

Old 12-23-2011, 03:07 PM
Daniel Bossert

It would be helpful if you could give more details and say what
command you are trying and its output with the verbose flag set like
this -vvv.

Yep, the -vvv option on the remote ssh and taking a look at /var/log/messages
and /var/log/secure should provide details about why failure happens.
Perhaps the sshd_config file is set to only allow public key connections?
That would certainly make a password attempt fail (and is how I have my
server setup for remote connections versus local network connections
where I do allow passwords).

Hello

Here are the outputs:

Output from the remote machine:

daniel@saturn:~$ ssh -vvv daniel@172.25.0.1
OpenSSH_5.5p1 Debian-6+squeeze1, OpenSSL 0.9.8o 01 Jun 2010
debug1: Applying options for *
debug2: ssh_connect: needpriv 0
debug1: Connecting to 172.25.0.1 [172.25.0.1] port 22.
debug1: Connection established.
debug1: identity file /home/daniel/.ssh/id_rsa type -1
debug1: identity file /home/daniel/.ssh/id_rsa-cert type -1
debug1: identity file /home/daniel/.ssh/id_dsa type -1
debug1: identity file /home/daniel/.ssh/id_dsa-cert type -1
debug1: Remote protocol version 2.0, remote software version OpenSSH_5.8
debug1: match: OpenSSH_5.8 pat OpenSSH*
debug1: Local version string SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_5.5p1 Debian-6+squeeze1
debug2: fd 3 setting O_NONBLOCK
debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEXINIT sent
debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEXINIT received
debug2: kex_parse_kexinit:
diffie-hellman-group-exchange-sha256,diffie-hellman-group-exchange-sha1,diffie-hellman-group14-sha1,diffie-hellman-group1-sha1
debug2: kex_parse_kexinit:
ssh-rsa-cert-v00@openssh.com,ssh-dss-cert-v00@openssh.com,ssh-rsa,ssh-dss
debug2: kex_parse_kexinit:
aes128-ctr,aes192-ctr,aes256-ctr,arcfour256,arcfour128,aes128-cbc,3des-cbc,blowfish-cbc,cast128-cbc,aes192-cbc,aes256-cbc,arcfour,rijndael-cbc@lysator.liu.se
hmac-md5,hmac-sha1,umac-64@openssh.com,hmac-ripemd160,hmac-ripemd160@openssh.com,hmac-sha1-96,hmac-md5-96

debug2: kex_parse_kexinit: none,zlib@openssh.com,zlib
debug2: kex_parse_kexinit: none,zlib@openssh.com,zlib
debug2: kex_parse_kexinit:
debug2: kex_parse_kexinit:
debug2: kex_parse_kexinit: first_kex_follows 0
debug2: kex_parse_kexinit: reserved 0
debug2: kex_parse_kexinit:
diffie-hellman-group-exchange-sha256,diffie-hellman-group-exchange-sha1,diffie-hellman-group14-sha1,diffie-hellman-group1-sha1

debug2: kex_parse_kexinit: ssh-rsa,ssh-dss
[...]

debug2: mac_setup: found hmac-md5
debug1: kex: server->client aes128-ctr hmac-md5 none
debug2: mac_setup: found hmac-md5
debug1: kex: client->server aes128-ctr hmac-md5 none
debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEX_DH_GEX_REQUEST(1024<1024<8192) sent
debug1: expecting SSH2_MSG_KEX_DH_GEX_GROUP
debug2: dh_gen_key: priv key bits set: 120/256
debug2: bits set: 545/1024
debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEX_DH_GEX_INIT sent
debug3: check_host_in_hostfile: host 172.25.0.1 filename
/home/daniel/.ssh/known_hosts
debug3: check_host_in_hostfile: host 172.25.0.1 filename
/home/daniel/.ssh/known_hosts

debug3: check_host_in_hostfile: match line 1
debug1: Host '172.25.0.1' is known and matches the RSA host key.
debug1: Found key in /home/daniel/.ssh/known_hosts:1
debug2: bits set: 524/1024
debug2: kex_derive_keys
debug2: set_newkeys: mode 1
debug1: SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS sent
debug1: expecting SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS
debug2: set_newkeys: mode 0
debug1: SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS received
debug1: Roaming not allowed by server
debug1: SSH2_MSG_SERVICE_REQUEST sent
debug2: service_accept: ssh-userauth
debug2: key: /home/daniel/.ssh/id_rsa ((nil))
debug2: key: /home/daniel/.ssh/id_dsa ((nil))
debug1: Authentications that can continue:
publickey,gssapi-keyex,gssapi-with-mic,password
debug3: start over, passed a different list
publickey,gssapi-keyex,gssapi-with-mic,password
debug3: preferred
gssapi-keyex,gssapi-with-mic,publickey,keyboard-interactive,password

debug3: authmethod_lookup gssapi-keyex
debug3: remaining preferred:
gssapi-with-mic,publickey,keyboard-interactive,password

debug3: authmethod_is_enabled gssapi-keyex
debug1: Next authentication method: gssapi-keyex
debug1: No valid Key exchange context
debug2: we did not send a packet, disable method
debug3: authmethod_lookup gssapi-with-mic
debug3: remaining preferred: publickey,keyboard-interactive,password
debug3: authmethod_is_enabled gssapi-with-mic
debug1: Next authentication method: gssapi-with-mic
debug1: An invalid name was supplied
Cannot determine realm for numeric host address

debug1: An invalid name was supplied
Cannot determine realm for numeric host address

debug1: An invalid name was supplied

debug2: we did not send a packet, disable method
debug3: authmethod_lookup publickey
debug3: remaining preferred: keyboard-interactive,password
debug3: authmethod_is_enabled publickey
debug1: Trying private key: /home/daniel/.ssh/id_rsa
debug3: no such identity: /home/daniel/.ssh/id_rsa
debug1: Trying private key: /home/daniel/.ssh/id_dsa
debug3: no such identity: /home/daniel/.ssh/id_dsa
debug2: we did not send a packet, disable method
debug3: authmethod_lookup password
debug3: remaining preferred: ,password
debug3: authmethod_is_enabled password
debug1: Next authentication method: password
daniel@172.25.0.1's password:
debug3: packet_send2: adding 64 (len 57 padlen 7 extra_pad 64)
debug2: we sent a password packet, wait for reply
debug1: Authentications that can continue:
publickey,gssapi-keyex,gssapi-with-mic,password

Permission denied, please try again.
daniel@172.25.0.1's password:
debug3: packet_send2: adding 64 (len 57 padlen 7 extra_pad 64)
debug2: we sent a password packet, wait for reply
debug1: Authentications that can continue:
publickey,gssapi-keyex,gssapi-with-mic,password

Permission denied, please try again.
daniel@172.25.0.1's password:

[root@merkur ~]# cat /etc/ssh/sshd_config
# $OpenBSD: sshd_config,v 1.82 2010/09/06 17:10:19 naddy Exp $

# This is the sshd server system-wide configuration file. See
# sshd_config(5) for more information.

# This sshd was compiled with PATH=/usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/bin

# The strategy used for options in the default sshd_config shipped with
# OpenSSH is to specify options with their default value where
# possible, but leave them commented. Uncommented options change a
# default value.

Port 22
#AddressFamily any
#ListenAddress 0.0.0.0
#ListenAddress ::

# The default requires explicit activation of protocol 1
Protocol 2

# HostKey for protocol version 1
#HostKey /etc/ssh/ssh_host_key
# HostKeys for protocol version 2
HostKey /etc/ssh/ssh_host_rsa_key
HostKey /etc/ssh/ssh_host_dsa_key
#HostKey /etc/ssh/ssh_host_ecdsa_key

# Lifetime and size of ephemeral version 1 server key
KeyRegenerationInterval 1h
ServerKeyBits 1024

# Logging
# obsoletes QuietMode and FascistLogging
#SyslogFacility AUTH
SyslogFacility AUTHPRIV
#LogLevel INFO

# Authentication:

LoginGraceTime 30
PermitRootLogin no
StrictModes yes
#MaxAuthTries 6
#MaxSessions 10

#RSAAuthentication yes
PubkeyAuthentication yes
#AuthorizedKeysFile .ssh/authorized_keys
#AuthorizedKeysCommand none
#AuthorizedKeysCommandRunAs nobody

# For this to work you will also need host keys in /etc/ssh/ssh_known_hosts
RhostsRSAAuthentication no
# similar for protocol version 2
HostbasedAuthentication no
# Change to yes if you don't trust ~/.ssh/known_hosts for
# RhostsRSAAuthentication and HostbasedAuthentication
#IgnoreUserKnownHosts no
# Don't read the user's ~/.rhosts and ~/.shosts files
#IgnoreRhosts yes

# To disable tunneled clear text passwords, change to no here!
#PasswordAuthentication yes
PermitEmptyPasswords no

# Change to no to disable s/key passwords
#ChallengeResponseAuthentication yes
ChallengeResponseAuthentication no

# Kerberos options
#KerberosAuthentication no
#KerberosOrLocalPasswd yes
#KerberosTicketCleanup yes
#KerberosGetAFSToken no
#KerberosUseKuserok yes

# GSSAPI options
#GSSAPIAuthentication no
GSSAPIAuthentication yes
#GSSAPICleanupCredentials yes
GSSAPICleanupCredentials yes
#GSSAPIStrictAcceptorCheck yes
#GSSAPIKeyExchange no

# Set this to 'yes' to enable PAM authentication, account processing,
# and session processing. If this is enabled, PAM authentication will
# be allowed through the ChallengeResponseAuthentication and
# PasswordAuthentication. Depending on your PAM configuration,
# PAM authentication via ChallengeResponseAuthentication may bypass
# the setting of "PermitRootLogin without-password".
# If you just want the PAM account and session checks to run without
# PAM authentication, then enable this but set PasswordAuthentication
# and ChallengeResponseAuthentication to 'no'.
# WARNING: 'UsePAM no' is not supported in Fedora and may cause several
# problems.
#UsePAM no
#UsePAM yes

# Accept locale-related environment variables
AcceptEnv LANG LC_CTYPE LC_NUMERIC LC_TIME LC_COLLATE LC_MONETARY
LC_MESSAGES

AcceptEnv LC_PAPER LC_NAME LC_ADDRESS LC_TELEPHONE LC_MEASUREMENT
AcceptEnv LC_IDENTIFICATION LC_ALL LANGUAGE
AcceptEnv XMODIFIERS

#AllowAgentForwarding yes
#AllowTcpForwarding yes
#GatewayPorts no
#X11Forwarding no
X11Forwarding yes
#X11DisplayOffset 10
#X11UseLocalhost yes
#PrintMotd yes
#PrintLastLog yes
#TCPKeepAlive yes
#UseLogin no
#UsePrivilegeSeparation yes
#PermitUserEnvironment no
#Compression delayed
#ClientAliveInterval 0
#ClientAliveCountMax 3
#ShowPatchLevel no
#UseDNS yes
#PidFile /var/run/sshd.pid
#MaxStartups 10
#PermitTunnel no
#ChrootDirectory none

# no default banner path
#Banner none

# override default of no subsystems
Subsystem sftp /usr/libexec/openssh/sftp-server

# Uncomment this if you want to use .local domain
#Host *.local
# CheckHostIP no

# Example of overriding settings on a per-user basis
#Match User anoncvs
# X11Forwarding no
# AllowTcpForwarding no
# ForceCommand cvs server

/var/log/secure:
Dec 23 17:01:59 merkur sshd[9744]: error: Could not get shadow
information for daniel
Dec 23 17:01:59 merkur sshd[9744]: Failed password for daniel from
172.24.0.150 port 46323 ssh2
Dec 23 17:02:07 merkur sshd[9744]: Failed password for daniel from
172.24.0.150 port 46323 ssh2

/var/log/messages:
Dec 23 16:58:31 merkur dbus[882]: [system] Activating service
name='net.reactivated.Fprint' (using servicehelper)
Dec 23 16:58:31 merkur dbus-daemon[882]: dbus[882]: [system] Activating
service name='net.reactivated.Fprint' (using servicehelper)

Dec 23 16:58:31 merkur dbus-daemon[882]: Launching FprintObject
Dec 23 16:58:31 merkur dbus-daemon[882]: dbus[882]: [system]
Successfully activated service 'net.reactivated.Fprint'
Dec 23 16:58:31 merkur dbus[882]: [system] Successfully activated
service 'net.reactivated.Fprint'
Dec 23 16:58:31 merkur dbus-daemon[882]: ** Message: D-Bus service
launched with name: net.reactivated.Fprint

Dec 23 16:58:31 merkur dbus-daemon[882]: ** Message: entering main loop
Dec 23 16:59:01 merkur dbus-daemon[882]: ** Message: No devices in use, exit
Dec 23 17:01:01 merkur systemd-logind[874]: New session 21 of user root.
Dec 23 17:01:01 merkur systemd-logind[874]: Removed session 21.

daniel@saturn:~$ locale (((REMOTE)))
LANG=de_CH.UTF-8
LANGUAGE=de_CH:de
LC_CTYPE="de_CH.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="de_CH.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="de_CH.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="de_CH.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="de_CH.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="de_CH.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="de_CH.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="de_CH.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="de_CH.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="de_CH.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="de_CH.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="de_CH.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=

[root@merkur ~]# locale (LOCAL MACHINE; FEDORA)
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=

Kind regards
Daniel

Old 12-23-2011, 03:11 PM
Reindl Harald

Am 23.12.2011 17:07, schrieb Daniel Bossert:
> # Change to no to disable s/key passwords
> #ChallengeResponseAuthentication yes
> ChallengeResponseAuthentication no

so why are you doing this if you want password-login?

Old 12-23-2011, 03:21 PM
Daniel Bossert

# Change to no to disable s/key passwords
#ChallengeResponseAuthentication yes
ChallengeResponseAuthentication no

so why are you doing this if you want password-login?

I know I had e mess... I changed to yes; even though it isn't working...

Kind regards
Daniel