Old 12-23-2011, 09:04 AM
linux guy

Default OT: How much RAM should I get in a new laptop ?

I'm specing a new laptop, probably a Dell XPS 17, with an i7
processor. It will have an SSD and be driving 2 monitors.

The XPS 17s come in two varieties, one with 2 DIMM slots and the other
with 4 DIMM slots.

- I do a ton of browsing for research purposes and may have as many as
20 Firefox sessions open at one time.
- I use Thunderbird with mail accounts with more than 100K messages in them.
- I do some software development in Eclipse with gcc. Compile times
can be lengthy on some projects.
- I use Digikam to manage and edit all my Nikon D7000 images, which
are shot in raw
- I want to get into editing D7000 video files
- I want to get into 3D CAD.

How much RAM do I reasonably require ? Is it worth paying more for 4
DIMM sockets over 2 ?

Thanks !

Old 12-23-2011, 09:13 AM
"Robert P. J. Day"

On Fri, 23 Dec 2011, linux guy wrote:

> I'm specing a new laptop, probably a Dell XPS 17, with an i7
> processor. It will have an SSD and be driving 2 monitors.
>
> The XPS 17s come in two varieties, one with 2 DIMM slots and the other
> with 4 DIMM slots.
>
> - I do a ton of browsing for research purposes and may have as many as
> 20 Firefox sessions open at one time.
> - I use Thunderbird with mail accounts with more than 100K messages in them.
> - I do some software development in Eclipse with gcc. Compile times
> can be lengthy on some projects.
> - I use Digikam to manage and edit all my Nikon D7000 images, which
> are shot in raw
> - I want to get into editing D7000 video files
> - I want to get into 3D CAD.
>
> How much RAM do I reasonably require ? Is it worth paying more for 4
> DIMM sockets over 2 ?

not sure this will help but i went through the same grappling when
spec'ing out a new ASUS monster laptop. in the end, i learned that
the model advertised as coming with 12G RAM simply had 3/4 slots
filled, and just buying a separate compatible 4G stick to fill it out
to 16G cost all of $29 extra. problem solved.

more RAM is generally better, but don't feel you have to pay for it
as part of the advertised model.

rday

Old 12-23-2011, 09:39 AM
Christopher Svanefalk

In your case, I would say go for at least 8GB, especially if you do a lot of heavy compilation. If your machine supports DDR3, you should be able to find some rather cheap deals.

On Fri, Dec 23, 2011 at 11:13 AM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:

On Fri, 23 Dec 2011, linux guy wrote:

> I'm specing a new laptop, probably a Dell XPS 17, with an i7

> processor. *It will have an SSD and be driving 2 monitors.

> The XPS 17s come in two varieties, one with 2 DIMM slots and the other

> with 4 DIMM slots.

> - I do a ton of browsing for research purposes and may have as many as

> 20 Firefox sessions open at one time.

> - I use Thunderbird with mail accounts with more than 100K messages in them.

> - I do some software development in Eclipse with gcc. *Compile times

> can be lengthy on some projects.

> - I use Digikam to manage and edit all my Nikon D7000 images, which

> are shot in raw

> - I want to get into editing D7000 video files

> - I want to get into 3D CAD.

> How much RAM do I reasonably require ? *Is it worth paying more for 4

> DIMM sockets over 2 ?

*not sure this will help but i went through the same grappling when

spec'ing out a new ASUS monster laptop. *in the end, i learned that

the model advertised as coming with 12G RAM simply had 3/4 slots

filled, and just buying a separate compatible 4G stick to fill it out

to 16G cost all of $29 extra. *problem solved.

*more RAM is generally better, but don't feel you have to pay for it

as part of the advertised model.

rday

Robert P. J. Day * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA

* * * * * * * * * * * *http://crashcourse.ca

Twitter: * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * http://twitter.com/rpjday

LinkedIn: * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * http://ca.linkedin.com/in/rpjday

Old 12-23-2011, 12:51 PM

> I'm specing a new laptop, probably a Dell XPS 17, with an i7
> processor. It will have an SSD and be driving 2 monitors.
>
> The XPS 17s come in two varieties, one with 2 DIMM slots and the other
> with 4 DIMM slots.
>
> - I do a ton of browsing for research purposes and may have as many as
> 20 Firefox sessions open at one time.
> - I use Thunderbird with mail accounts with more than 100K messages in them.
> - I do some software development in Eclipse with gcc. Compile times
> can be lengthy on some projects.
> - I use Digikam to manage and edit all my Nikon D7000 images, which
> are shot in raw
> - I want to get into editing D7000 video files
> - I want to get into 3D CAD.
>
> How much RAM do I reasonably require ? Is it worth paying more for 4
> DIMM sockets over 2 ?

not sure this will help but i went through the same grappling when
spec'ing out a new ASUS monster laptop. in the end, i learned that
the model advertised as coming with 12G RAM simply had 3/4 slots
filled, and just buying a separate compatible 4G stick to fill it out
to 16G cost all of $29 extra. problem solved.

more RAM is generally better, but don't feel you have to pay for it
as part of the advertised model.

Regarding sockets,
4*2GB is usualy slightly cheaper than 2*4GB.
On the other hand, if you choose 2*4GB, you can always upgrade to 4*4GB.
Same with 4*4GB vs 2*8GB.

So costs versus flexibility.

hw

Old 12-23-2011, 01:35 PM
Dave Ihnat

On Fri, Dec 23, 2011 at 03:04:59AM -0700, linux guy wrote:
> I'm specing a new laptop, ...
> The XPS 17s come in two varieties, one with 2 DIMM slots and the other
> with 4 DIMM slots.

Slots, or just populated slots? IIRC, it only comes with 4 slots.

> How much RAM do I reasonably require ? Is it worth paying more for 4
> DIMM sockets over 2 ?

Price the machine with the minimum memory you can order, then with the max.
Then go to a good memory provider (e.g., www.crucial.com) and see what it
would cost to get the maximum memory from them.

Heck, let's go look...OK, it comes with 4GB minimum; 16GB adds $360.00.
(Dell website, no reseller/premier discounts). That's presumably a 4GB
kit--2x2GB. We're going to have to throw that out if we max the memory.

Now to Crucial...hmm...all they offer is the "Dell XPS 17 3D"--I'd call
'em to confirm these work, but they should--it's shown as DDR3 on the Dell
website, and the Crucial site confirms they're offering DDR3 components.
Let's go ahead and use what Crucial's offering on the site.

You'd need two 8GB kits to max the memory--the 8GB kit is $45.99, so
two of those would run you $91.98, plus tax + shipping. (And there's a
lifetime warranty on Crucial memory.)

$360 - $92 = $268 savings. I think it'd be worth it.

Vendors usually use memory and disk to really jack up the profits.

Cheers,
--
Dave Ihnat
President, DMINET Consulting, Inc.

Old 12-23-2011, 02:15 PM
linux guy

Thanks for the replies.

I was more wondering if its worth about $150 to get 4 DIMM slots
instead of just 2 DIMM slots.

I was thinking I could get away with 2 x 4 GB for a total of 8 GB.
But given its an i7 and all, I'll probably keep it for a while and
should probably plan that someday I'll want 16 GB (!) and should thus
pay about $150 extra for the 3D screen (which is brighter and has a
faster refresh rate) and then one gets 4 DIMM slots as well.

To get to 16GB with 2 DIMM slots would require 2 x 8 GB modules, which
would probably make up for most of the $150 over 4 x 4 GB modules.

Old 12-23-2011, 02:26 PM
Ed Greshko

On 12/23/2011 11:15 PM, linux guy wrote:
> Thanks for the replies.
>
> I was more wondering if its worth about $150 to get 4 DIMM slots
> instead of just 2 DIMM slots.
>
> I was thinking I could get away with 2 x 4 GB for a total of 8 GB.
> But given its an i7 and all, I'll probably keep it for a while and
> should probably plan that someday I'll want 16 GB (!) and should thus
> pay about $150 extra for the 3D screen (which is brighter and has a
> faster refresh rate) and then one gets 4 DIMM slots as well.
>
> To get to 16GB with 2 DIMM slots would require 2 x 8 GB modules, which
> would probably make up for most of the $150 over 4 x 4 GB modules.

If you have the $ then 150 doesn't seem that much for the added
flexibility. Not having looked at the system, it is often that the
slots need to be populated in pairs.

If that is the case, I would still go with 4 slots and populate now with
2 x 8GB. If you went with 4 x 4GB you'd end up having to trash modules
to add more memory when you found that you'd really like to have more
than 16GB. :-)

fools. -- Douglas Adams in "Mostly Harmless

Old 12-23-2011, 02:56 PM
John Mellor

On Fri, 2011-12-23 at 08:15 -0700, linux guy wrote:
> I was more wondering if its worth about $150 to get 4 DIMM slots
> instead of just 2 DIMM slots.

Just remember how you intend to use this laptop. DDR3 memory is not
very efficient, which is why some manufacturers are even making extra
memory stick fans available. If the laptop is plugged in all the time,
then the extra memory slots will not be a problem. However, if you are
going to use it for a significant amount of time on battery, you should
be aware that each stick of RAM will cost you an extra 11-13 watts, so
the 2-slot motherboard will have significantly longer battery life than
the 4-slot model. It will also run hotter, and therefore have more fan
time, which also cuts battery life.

If you assume that historical pricing models will not be continuing, and
8GB sticks will not be getting cheaper with time, it may however, be
more flexible for future expansion. Ymmv, of course.

Old 12-23-2011, 05:39 PM
Thomas Cameron

Old 12-23-2011, 07:50 PM
Robert Moskowitz

I'm specing a new laptop, probably a Dell XPS 17, with an i7
processor. It will have an SSD and be driving 2 monitors.

The XPS 17s come in two varieties, one with 2 DIMM slots and the other
with 4 DIMM slots.

- I do a ton of browsing for research purposes and may have as many as
20 Firefox sessions open at one time.

And I will have a dozen taps open in many of them.

- I use Thunderbird with mail accounts with more than 100K messages in them.

I have 4 copies of Thunderbird running.

- I do some software development in Eclipse with gcc. Compile times
can be lengthy on some projects.
- I use Digikam to manage and edit all my Nikon D7000 images, which
are shot in raw
- I want to get into editing D7000 video files
- I want to get into 3D CAD.

None of this for me.

How much RAM do I reasonably require ? Is it worth paying more for 4
DIMM sockets over 2 ?

I went with 4Gb ram. I am currently @ 3.1Gb used and 800Mb swap (I
allocate 2x swap over memory). So 8Bg could work for you.

not sure this will help but i went through the same grappling when
spec'ing out a new ASUS monster laptop. in the end, i learned that
the model advertised as coming with 12G RAM simply had 3/4 slots
filled, and just buying a separate compatible 4G stick to fill it out
to 16G cost all of $29 extra. problem solved.

more RAM is generally better, but don't feel you have to pay for it
as part of the advertised model.
The place I bought my Lenovo from (B&H photo) provided a good brand SIMM
at 1/5 the price of Lenovo memory. And I took the install myself option
and saved a bit more.