Old 12-24-2011, 09:48 AM
Roberto Ragusa

Default OT: How much RAM should I get in a new laptop ?

On 12/23/2011 04:56 PM, John Mellor wrote:

> you should
> be aware that each stick of RAM will cost you an extra 11-13 watts

That appears really a lot. Are you sure this is the case for laptops?
Any reference?

I've seen a few years ago laptops running with less than 9W, all
included (CPU, GPU, HD, LCD, ...).

Roberto Ragusa mail at robertoragusa.it

Old 12-30-2011, 06:18 PM
linux guy

Update.

After a bunch of order tuning, I ordered my XPS 17 with the 3D screen
(which got me 4 DIMM slots) and 16GB of RAM. Yes, 16 GB. I don't
feel I need that much right now, but as a package, it was cheap to add
it.

Not to advertise for Dell, but the complete system (i7, BD player, 16
GB, 3D screen, no 3d glasses, backlit keyboard, high end video card,
BT 3) for just under $1300.

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with Dell. This will be my first
Dell laptop, other than the Duo I already own.

Old 01-13-2012, 01:33 PM
Christopher Svanefalk

After a bunch of order tuning, I ordered my XPS 17 with the 3D screen

(which got me 4 DIMM slots) and 16GB of RAM. *Yes, 16 GB. *I don't

feel I need that much right now, but as a package, it was cheap to add

it.

Not to advertise for Dell, but the complete system (i7, BD player, 16

GB, 3D screen, no 3d glasses, backlit keyboard, high end video card,

BT 3) for just under $1300.

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with Dell. *This will be my first

Dell laptop, other than the Duo I already own.

1300 for that whole package??? Man you Americans are lucky.*

Old 01-13-2012, 02:05 PM
"Robert P. J. Day"

On Fri, 13 Jan 2012, Christopher Svanefalk wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 30, 2011 at 8:18 PM, linux guy <linuxguy123@gmail.com> wrote:
> Update.
>
> After a bunch of order tuning, I ordered my XPS 17 with the 3D screen
> (which got me 4 DIMM slots) and 16GB of RAM. *Yes, 16 GB. *I don't
> feel I need that much right now, but as a package, it was cheap to add
> it.
>
> Not to advertise for Dell, but the complete system (i7, BD player, 16
> GB, 3D screen, no 3d glasses, backlit keyboard, high end video card,
> BT 3) for just under $1300.
>
> Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with Dell. *This will be my first
> Dell laptop, other than the Duo I already own.
>

> 1300 for that whole package??? Man you Americans are lucky.*

i went thru the same exercise a couple months back, and got a
high-end ASUS. more RAM is always better, and i discovered that the
model i wanted came with only(!) 12G RAM but had only 3/4 slots
filled, so for an extra $29, i bought another 4G on the spot and had
their service dept open the box, open up the laptop, and put it in for
me. that was a noticeably cheaper alternative than going up to the
next model that advertised itself as having 16G, but had more features
i didn't need.

rday

Robert P. J. Day Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA
http://crashcourse.ca

Twitter: http://twitter.com/rpjday