-   -   Listings Question About Ping (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/613023-listings-question-about-ping.html)

Aaron Konstam 12-22-2011 08:48 PM

Listings Question About Ping

On Thu, 2011-12-22 at 15:13 -0500, Richard Heck wrote:
> When I do:
> ls /bin/ping
> I get "ping" displayed with black text on a red background. I don't see
> anything special about its permissions. What's up? I ask because I've
> installed another program recently that has the same color display, and
> I'm trying to figure out why.
>
> Richard

Same here. Do : ls /bin/* and you will see he programs hat display
like: mount, umount, ping, su, fusermounnt, and ping6.

I can't figure out what these programs have in common to be displayed in
a special color.

Aaron Konstam 12-22-2011 08:53 PM

On Thu, 2011-12-22 at 15:48 -0600, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-12-22 at 15:13 -0500, Richard Heck wrote:
> > When I do:
> > ls /bin/ping
> > I get "ping" displayed with black text on a red background. I don't see
> > anything special about its permissions. What's up? I ask because I've
> > installed another program recently that has the same color display, and
> > I'm trying to figure out why.
> >
> > Richard
> >

> Same here. Do : ls /bin/* and you will see he programs hat display
> like: mount, umount, ping, su, fusermounnt, and ping6.
>
> I can't figure out what these programs have in common to be displayed in
> a special color.

What they have in common is there Access is 4755 while the rest I think
are 0755

Michael Cronenworth 12-22-2011 09:03 PM

Aaron Konstam wrote:

I can't figure out what these programs have in common to be displayed in
a special color.

Aaron, did you receive my reply to the OP question?

http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/users/2011-December/410704.html

Michael Schwendt 12-22-2011 09:08 PM

On Thu, 22 Dec 2011 15:48:27 -0600, AK (Aaron) wrote:

> On Thu, 2011-12-22 at 15:13 -0500, Richard Heck wrote:
> > When I do:
> > ls /bin/ping
> > I get "ping" displayed with black text on a red background. I don't see
> > anything special about its permissions. What's up? I ask because I've
> > installed another program recently that has the same color display, and
> > I'm trying to figure out why.
> >
> > Richard
> >

> Same here. Do : ls /bin/* and you will see he programs hat display
> like: mount, umount, ping, su, fusermounnt, and ping6.
>
> I can't figure out what these programs have in common to be displayed in
> a special color.

Look up the manual "man dircolors". It's documented.

Michael Schwendt 12-22-2011 09:09 PM

On Thu, 22 Dec 2011 15:53:56 -0600, AK (Aaron) wrote:

> > Same here. Do : ls /bin/* and you will see he programs hat display
> > like: mount, umount, ping, su, fusermounnt, and ping6.
> >
> > I can't figure out what these programs have in common to be displayed in
> > a special color.
>
> What they have in common is there Access is 4755 while the rest I think
> are 0755

That's only half the truth, because white-on-red is not equal to black-on-red. ;)

Joe Zeff 12-22-2011 09:52 PM

Listings Question About Ping

Look up the manual "man dircolors". It's documented.

Yes, but only if you happen to understand the numeric codes and how they
interact. For somebody like me, who has no need to know that type of
thing, it's simply gibberish. That's why my .bashrc contains this line:

alias ls=ls

That gets rid of the colors that somebody "helpfully" decided that
everybody wants.

Reindl Harald 12-22-2011 11:59 PM

On 22.12.2011 23:52, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 12/22/2011 02:08 PM, Michael Schwendt wrote:
>> Look up the manual "man dircolors". It's documented.
>
> Yes, but only if you happen to understand the numeric codes and how they interact. For somebody like me, who has
> no need to know that type of thing, it's simply gibberish. That's why my .bashrc contains this line:
>
> alias ls=ls
>
> That gets rid of the colors that somebody "helpfully" decided that everybody wants

do colors hurt you?
what is so different in understanding a hdnaful of colors?

what is so different to understand a blinking red link is borken and
why do you think this is not helpful?

"somebody like me who has no need to know" sounds not smart to say it polite

Paul Allen Newell 12-23-2011 12:04 AM

Listings Question About Ping