Old 12-23-2011, 07:18 PM
Paul Allen Newell

Default Listings Question About Ping

On 12/23/2011 11:58 AM, Joe Zeff wrote:

On 12/23/2011 08:09 AM, Craig White wrote:

dark terminal backgrounds are good for novelty but not good for actually
using on a semi-continual basis.

Speak for yourself, John Alden. I happen to like bright green on
black. Not only do I find it quite readable, it reminds me of days
gone by. If I ever tire of it, I'll probably change the foreground to
amber, for the same reason.

Joe:

If I read the prior posts correctly, Richard Heck cites a black text on
red background. That's alot different than bright green on black ... or
even amber (which I have to admit does remind me of old days as well).

Pure RGB red is a tricky one that works much better with white than
black ... and I will qualify by saying this is my opinion so nobody
flames me for advocating a fact without proof (though my memory recalls
lots of warnings based on fact ... I can only remember the "RGB red
doesn't map into NTSC color-space" at the moment which I learned from
experience).

Paul

Old 12-23-2011, 08:02 PM
Joe Zeff

If I read the prior posts correctly, Richard Heck cites a black text on
red background. That's alot different than bright green on black ... or
even amber (which I have to admit does remind me of old days as well).

That's why I was careful to specify that I use a black background.

May the candles on your screen,
Burn in amber or in green.
Happy Birthday,
Feep!
Happy Birthday,
Feep!

Now that you're the age you are,
Obsolescence can't be far!
Happy Birthday,
Feep!
Happy Birthday,
Feep!

Old 12-23-2011, 08:52 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Fri, 2011-12-23 at 15:57 +0100, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 23.12.2011 15:47, schrieb Aaron Konstam:

> >> Thanks. I did eventually figure this out. Unfortunately, there doesn't
> >> seem to be much documentation about this particular set of colors,
> >> though it is reminiscent of what happens with e.g. mount and umount.
> >
> > I guess I am thick because I can't understand the explanation in the web
> > page above. An example or two might have helped.
>
> you need to understand what SETUID and CAPABILITIES are
> what examples are you expecting? these are technics
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Setuid
> http://kernel.org/doc/man-pages/online/pages/man7/capabilities.7.html

Examples of a specific capability replaces a setuid. You web pages were
of more help.

Old 12-23-2011, 08:59 PM
Reindl Harald

Am 23.12.2011 22:52, schrieb Aaron Konstam:
>>> I guess I am thick because I can't understand the explanation in the web
>>> page above. An example or two might have helped.
>>
>> you need to understand what SETUID and CAPABILITIES are
>> what examples are you expecting? these are technics
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Setuid
>> http://kernel.org/doc/man-pages/online/pages/man7/capabilities.7.html
>
> Examples of a specific capability replaces a setuid. You web pages were
> of more help.

[harry@srv-rhsoft:~]$ getcap /bin/ping
/bin/ping = cap_net_raw+ep

it gets exactly the permissions it really needs
with SETUID it had full root permissions

from the view giving aech user/service/application the permissions
which are needed but not more capabilities are finer to control

giving as less permissions as possible is hardening the system
in the case of mistakes (buffer overlow, not well enough sanitized
inputs or whatever will happen) at maybe makes a pmerssion breakout
of a application in specific cases impossible where they with
SETUID would have the possibility to take over the system

Old 12-24-2011, 08:25 AM
Tim

On Fri, 2011-12-23 at 09:09 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> dark terminal backgrounds are good for novelty but not good for
> actually using on a semi-continual basis.

Can't say that I agree with that, because I believe the opposite. On
CRT and LCDs, I find brightish text on black backgrounds easier to read
than the opposite. Trying to view coloured text against white even
worse. It's really only dark blue text on black that I find hard to
read, but then that's the colour most people's eyesight is worst at.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

Old 12-24-2011, 08:49 AM
Craig White

On Sat, 2011-12-24 at 19:55 +1030, Tim wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-12-23 at 09:09 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> > dark terminal backgrounds are good for novelty but not good for
> > actually using on a semi-continual basis.
>
> Can't say that I agree with that, because I believe the opposite. On
> CRT and LCDs, I find brightish text on black backgrounds easier to read
> than the opposite. Trying to view coloured text against white even
> worse. It's really only dark blue text on black that I find hard to
> read, but then that's the colour most people's eyesight is worst at.
----
considering that blue is the default colorization for directories in ls,
then using a black background for your terminal means that you are going
to either have difficulty (and do your best to defeat colorization) or
customize it.

I don't generally use white backgrounds but tend to use the pastels
offered by Konsole and I find the colorization from ls not a problem at
all (and sometimes useful). Maybe the Gnome terminal handles things
differently.

Craig

believed to be clean.

Old 12-24-2011, 09:31 AM
Reindl Harald

Am 24.12.2011 10:49, schrieb Craig White:
> considering that blue is the default colorization for directories in ls,
> then using a black background for your terminal means that you are going
> to either have difficulty (and do your best to defeat colorization) or
> customize it.

really?

i had several operations on my eyes from 2006 until now, currently
only the left eye is able to recognize anything on a screen with
only 80% or a healthy person and i have no problems with it

so you better should consult a doctor to find out what is wrong
with your eyes instead explain others "that you are going"!

Old 12-24-2011, 01:24 PM
Tim

On Sat, 2011-12-24 at 02:49 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> considering that blue is the default colorization for directories in
> ls, then using a black background for your terminal means that you are
> going to either have difficulty (and do your best to defeat
> colorization) or customize it.

I've always customised colours, so it's a bright blue, not a dark blue.

Old 12-24-2011, 01:45 PM
Tim

On Sat, 2011-12-24 at 11:31 +0100, Reindl Harald wrote:
> really?
>
> i had several operations on my eyes from 2006 until now, currently
> only the left eye is able to recognize anything on a screen with
> only 80% or a healthy person and i have no problems with it
>
> so you better should consult a doctor to find out what is wrong
> with your eyes instead explain others "that you are going"!

Were you really replying to Craig? Because your comment doesn't make
sense with what you quoted from him.

If you're responding to my comment about blue being the hardest colour
for the human eye to see, it's a fact of life. It's the colour that
we're least sensitive to. We're mostly sensitive to green, then red,
then blue. The ratios of them are approx 59%, 30% red, then 11% blue,
to make up 100% of what we see. Also, the focal depth for each colour
is different. It's one of the reasons why so many people have trouble
seeing things well with those new LED torches, they're too blue.