Old 12-23-2011, 12:52 AM
Paul Allen Newell

Default Listings Question About Ping

On 12/22/2011 5:50 PM, Craig White wrote:

----
can't say for certain (and I'm not going to research) but I've been
using Linux for many years and never see blinking names from an ls
command except for broken symbolic links. Blinking/flashing makes sense
in terms of drawing your attention to things that are broken.

Craig

Craig:

Thanks for semi-confirm ... and I certainly wouldn't expect anyone to
research it just because my computer is in the shop. That's for me to do
as I'm the one who is bothered by certain displays

Paul

Old 12-23-2011, 01:10 AM
Ed Greshko

On 12/23/2011 09:50 AM, Craig White wrote:
> can't say for certain (and I'm not going to research) but I've been
> using Linux for many years and never see blinking names from an ls
> command except for broken symbolic links. Blinking/flashing makes sense
> in terms of drawing your attention to things that are broken.

I'm not going to do any research either.... But, I did want to point
out one thing.

Sometimes a broken link isn't a "broken link". If the link points to a
file in a directory to where you don't have access. An example of this
would be /etc/named.conf in a chroot environment. As a normal user
you'd go to /etc and see named.conf flashing....but it really isn't broken.

fools. -- Douglas Adams in "Mostly Harmless

Old 12-23-2011, 01:22 AM
jdow