Old 12-23-2011, 12:15 AM
jdow

Default Listings Question About Ping

On 2011/12/22 17:04, Paul Allen Newell wrote:

On 12/22/2011 2:52 PM, Joe Zeff wrote:

That's why my .bashrc contains this line:

alias ls=ls

That gets rid of the colors that somebody "helpfully" decided that everybody
wants.

Joe:

My F14 Linux box is getting repaired so I can't test ... what is this alias
changing about 'ls'? I don't remember seeing any factory-setting .bashrc that
has ls aliased to ls with some options?

It's been standard since RedHat 5.something, at least.

It is in your .bashrc if you make a stock install and don't copy in a fixed
.bashrc.

{^_^}

Old 12-23-2011, 12:22 AM
Paul Allen Newell

My F14 Linux box is getting repaired so I can't test ... what is this
alias
changing about 'ls'? I don't remember seeing any factory-setting
.bashrc that

has ls aliased to ls with some options?

It's been standard since RedHat 5.something, at least.

It is in your .bashrc if you make a stock install and don't copy in a
fixed

.bashrc.

{^_^}

jdow:

So factory setting .bashrc does have it aliased to something? What is it?

I remember seeing certain files or directories colorized to some color
over black which, in my opinion, is visually difficult to read and I've
been following the thread with the hopes of seeign a solution. I don't
mind, and actually like, colored text on a white background for dirs,
links, excutables, whatever. Its just that one bad combination that I
want to get rid of.

And I can't tell how it becomes that color except I am thinking it might
relate to directories created under cygwin?

Wish I had my machine to test with rather than asking questions based on
memory (and running the risk of having a senior moment in my memory)

Thanks,
Paul

Old 12-23-2011, 12:23 AM
Joe Zeff