Old 12-22-2011, 08:09 PM
JB

Default GNOME 3 Classic on the way

Cinnamon: GNOME Shell Fork With A GNOME2-Like Layout
http://www.webupd8.org/2011/12/cinnamon-gnome-shell-fork-with-gnome2.html

JB

Old 12-22-2011, 08:50 PM
Christopher Svanefalk

I switched to Gnome3 just recently, and frankly, I am not sure I would want to go back again. Yes, the project has to mature, and I expect we will hit F18 before Gnome3 is on par with Gnome2 in terms of raw stability (I sometimes cannot even log out without getting a freeze), but I absolutely believe G3, as it is, is the way to go.

Old 12-22-2011, 08:52 PM
Olav Vitters

On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 10:50:40PM +0100, Christopher Svanefalk wrote:
> I switched to Gnome3 just recently, and frankly, I am not sure I would want
> to go back again. Yes, the project has to mature, and I expect we will hit
> F18 before Gnome3 is on par with Gnome2 in terms of raw stability (I
> sometimes cannot even log out without getting a freeze), but I absolutely
> believe G3, as it is, is the way to go.

Please do file bugs for stability issues. That's just unacceptable.
Might not be a problem due to GNOME (e.g. nvidia binary driver was bit
iffy for me), but needs to be worked upon no matter where in the stack
the bug is.

Olav

Old 12-22-2011, 08:59 PM
JB

Christopher Svanefalk <christopher.svanefalk <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I switched to Gnome3 just recently, and frankly, I am not sure I would want to
before Gnome3 is on par with Gnome2 in terms of raw stability (I sometimes
cannot even log out without getting a freeze), but I absolutely believe G3, as
it is, is the way to go.

Note that this is a fork of G3 Shell - it retains G3 platform infrastructure,
but will acquire G2 Classic "look & feel" (I hope as close as possible).

Very smart move by Mint, me thinks (I hope it will attract even more users to
them).

JB

Old 12-22-2011, 10:31 PM
Geoffrey Leach

On 12/22/2011 01:09:40 PM, JB wrote:
> Cinnamon: GNOME Shell Fork With A GNOME2-Like Layout
> http://www.webupd8.org/2011/12/cinnamon-gnome-shell-fork-with-
> gnome2.html

Having switched to xfce4 when I discovered what a hash the Gnome
developers had made of the UI, why should I go back? Sure, there's a V2
UI, but what assurance do I have that it will get attention, or, for
that matter, it won't change suddenly?

Old 12-22-2011, 11:08 PM
Joel Rees

On Fri, Dec 23, 2011 at 6:59 AM, JB <jb.1234abcd@gmail.com> wrote:
> Christopher Svanefalk <christopher.svanefalk <at> gmail.com> writes:
>

>> I switched to Gnome3 just recently, and frankly, I am not sure I would want to
> before Gnome3 is on par with Gnome2 in terms of raw stability (I sometimes
> cannot even log out without getting a freeze), but I absolutely believe G3, as
> it is, is the way to go.
>
> Note that this is a fork of G3 Shell - it retains G3 platform infrastructure,
> but will acquire G2 Classic "look & feel" (I hope as close as possible).
>
> Very smart move by Mint, me thinks (I hope it will attract even more users to
> them).
>
> JB

Look-and-feel is great, but it's the infrastructure that I need right now.

Old 12-23-2011, 06:20 PM
Michael Schwendt

On Thu, 22 Dec 2011 22:52:04 +0100, OV (Olav) wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 10:50:40PM +0100, Christopher Svanefalk wrote:
> > I switched to Gnome3 just recently, and frankly, I am not sure I would want
> > to go back again. Yes, the project has to mature, and I expect we will hit
> > F18 before Gnome3 is on par with Gnome2 in terms of raw stability (I
> > sometimes cannot even log out without getting a freeze), but I absolutely
> > believe G3, as it is, is the way to go.
>
> Please do file bugs for stability issues. That's just unacceptable.
> Might not be a problem due to GNOME (e.g. nvidia binary driver was bit
> iffy for me), but needs to be worked upon no matter where in the stack
> the bug is.

It's not related to the nvidia driver, because it has started to hit me too
(using ATI Radeon) since a few days. Opening the top-right user menu
sometimes freezes entire gnome-shell. Though, firefox has also started
to freeze since some days ago. Fedora 16 has become less stable compared
with its release IMO.