Old 12-22-2011, 07:13 PM
Richard Heck

Default Listings Question About Ping

When I do:
ls /bin/ping
I get "ping" displayed with black text on a red background. I don't see
anything special about its permissions. What's up? I ask because I've
installed another program recently that has the same color display, and
I'm trying to figure out why.

Richard

Old 12-22-2011, 07:25 PM
Reindl Harald

On 22.12.2011 21:13, Richard Heck wrote:

> When I do:
> ls /bin/ping
> I get "ping" displayed with black text on a red background. I don't see anything special about its permissions.
> What's up? I ask because I've installed another program recently that has the same color display, and I'm trying to
> figure out why.

what about tell your fedora-version and the output
of "stat /bin/ping", i guess and older fedora
version with suid-bit

Old 12-22-2011, 07:33 PM
Michael Cronenworth

Richard Heck wrote:

When I do:
ls /bin/ping
I get "ping" displayed with black text on a red background. I don't see
anything special about its permissions. What's up?

Fedora switched[1] from using the suid-bit to capabilities. If you wish
to see capabilities you can run "getcap" on the file.

$ getcap /bin/ping

[1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/RemoveSETUID