Old 12-22-2011, 03:52 PM
Michael Cronenworth

Default Buy an SSD now, or wait?

Heinz Diehl wrote:

In my opinion, SSD
harddrives are just too expensive.

The cheapest SSDs are about $1.50 per gig now. Very cheap compared to a
year ago. Even cheap SSDs are better than an HDD. All you need is enough
room to run your root partition on so the 60 to 80 gig models are
plenty. A HDD is obviously still more cost-effective to store videos,
music, etc., and you can still use a HDD as your home directory.

I am quite satisfied with my
7200rmp SATA disks.

You will kick yourself once you finally get an SSD for not getting one
sooner.

Old 12-22-2011, 03:54 PM
"Alan J. Gagne"

I just wondered if anyone here has had any experience in using SSDs in
general, and with Fedora in particular? I am thinking about an upgrade, but
I am uncertain whether it is worth it to invest in an SSD now, or let the
technology ripen for a few more years. I believe the SSD market will expand
massively in the coming years, and with that, innovation and development in
the field as well, so waiting seems more reasonable at this stage. Any
thoughts?

I would definitely go for it. I have been using ssd's in a couple of
systems for about a year and half. So far I am quite happy

with the performance gain they provide.

Alan

Old 12-22-2011, 03:58 PM
Ralf Corsepius