FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 12-22-2011, 05:47 PM
Steven Stern
 
Default Buy an SSD now, or wait?

On 12/22/2011 10:18 AM, Heinz Diehl wrote:
> On 22.12.2011, Christopher Svanefalk wrote:
>
>> I just wondered if anyone here has had any experience in using SSDs in
>> general, and with Fedora in particular? I am thinking about an upgrade, but
>> I am uncertain whether it is worth it to invest in an SSD now, or let the
>> technology ripen for a few more years.
>
> It depends on your needs and personal taste. In my opinion, SSD
> harddrives are just too expensive. I am quite satisfied with my
> 7200rmp SATA disks.
>
>
And this is how we didn't get a color TV for a long time. My father kept
saying we should wait until it was perfected. :-)

With tech, it will always be faster, cheaper, and better next year. If
you can use the benefit now and it's hit your price point, buy it. If
it's not at your price point, wait a bit.


--
-- Steve
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 12-22-2011, 07:00 PM
Tom Horsley
 
Default Buy an SSD now, or wait?

On Thu, 22 Dec 2011 12:47:56 -0600
Steven Stern wrote:

> With tech, it will always be faster, cheaper, and better next year. If
> you can use the benefit now and it's hit your price point, buy it. If
> it's not at your price point, wait a bit.

As long as the memory chip factories don't get flooded
next month :-).
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 12-23-2011, 12:42 AM
Koh Choon Lin
 
Default Buy an SSD now, or wait?

Hi

On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 11:08 PM, Christopher Svanefalk
<christopher.svanefalk@gmail.com> wrote:
> I just wondered if anyone here has had any experience in using SSDs in
> general, and with Fedora in particular? I am thinking about an upgrade, but
> I am uncertain whether it is worth it to invest in an SSD now, or let the
> technology ripen for a few more years. I believe the SSD market will expand
> massively in the coming years, and with that, innovation and development in
> the field as well, so waiting seems more reasonable at this stage. Any
> thoughts?

HDD prices are starting to drop after the Thai flood had subsided and
one can expect SSD to follow suit, though not by much since they are
not made there.

I would buy one in 2012 Q2.


--
Regards
Koh Choon Lin
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 12-23-2011, 12:57 AM
Marko Vojinovic
 
Default Buy an SSD now, or wait?

On Thursday 22 December 2011 12:47:56 Steven Stern wrote:
> With tech, it will always be faster, cheaper, and better next year. If
> you can use the benefit now and it's hit your price point, buy it. If
> it's not at your price point, wait a bit.

Forgive my ignorance, what is a "price point"?

Best, :-)
Marko


--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 12-23-2011, 01:01 AM
jdow
 
Default Buy an SSD now, or wait?

On 2011/12/22 17:57, Marko Vojinovic wrote:

On Thursday 22 December 2011 12:47:56 Steven Stern wrote:

With tech, it will always be faster, cheaper, and better next year. If
you can use the benefit now and it's hit your price point, buy it. If
it's not at your price point, wait a bit.


Forgive my ignorance, what is a "price point"?

Best, :-)
Marko


The price you're willing to spend or can budget for a product.

{^_^}
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 12-23-2011, 02:24 AM
Fernando Cassia
 
Default Buy an SSD now, or wait?

On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 12:44, Tom Horsley <horsley1953@gmail.com> wrote:
> I got a 64GB SSD and keep current and previous fedora
> partitions on it (32GB each)

Iīve given some thought to SSDs as well, and I wonder if it wouldnīt
make sense to put the boot and OS partition as ext3, and /tmp on ext2
(why journal temp files anyway?). Then Iīd put /home on btrfs, to
enable per-directory compression of email etc.

Sounds good?.

FC
PS: are there any tools to mark swap partitions on SSDs with high
caching and write-delayed?
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 12-23-2011, 02:29 AM
Fernando Cassia
 
Default Buy an SSD now, or wait?

On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 15:19, Dave Ihnat <dihnat@dminet.com> wrote:
> *That situation will ease--the industry is saying by second
> quarter, but my bet is for at least a year, maybe 16-18 months (since they
> have to either dry out and refurbish flooded facilities, build new
> facilities, or expand existing facilities--all real-world bricks'n'sticks
> infrastructure development)-

Letīs all give a round of applause to the brainiacs who in the name of
cost cutting, selected a flood-prone area to place their investment
(factories), all due to the low wages.

Must have been the same guys who built Fukushima on a seismic area
prone to tsunamis.

Oh, the joys of shortsighted capitalism... ;-)

FC
--
"The purpose of computing is insight, not numbers."
Richard Hamming - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamming_code
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 12-23-2011, 03:01 AM
Craig White
 
Default Buy an SSD now, or wait?

On Fri, 2011-12-23 at 00:29 -0300, Fernando Cassia wrote:

> Letīs all give a round of applause to the brainiacs who in the name of
> cost cutting, selected a flood-prone area to place their investment
> (factories), all due to the low wages.
>
> Must have been the same guys who built Fukushima on a seismic area
> prone to tsunamis.
>
> Oh, the joys of shortsighted capitalism... ;-)
----
just as long as we're not expected to applaud yet another oppressively
cynical posting from Fernando. Surprise us... find a positive
affirmation about anything.

Craig


--
This message has been scanned for viruses and
dangerous content by MailScanner, and is
believed to be clean.

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 12-23-2011, 03:35 AM
jdow
 
Default Buy an SSD now, or wait?

On 2011/12/22 19:29, Fernando Cassia wrote:

On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 15:19, Dave Ihnat<dihnat@dminet.com> wrote:

That situation will ease--the industry is saying by second
quarter, but my bet is for at least a year, maybe 16-18 months (since they
have to either dry out and refurbish flooded facilities, build new
facilities, or expand existing facilities--all real-world bricks'n'sticks
infrastructure development)-


Letīs all give a round of applause to the brainiacs who in the name of
cost cutting, selected a flood-prone area to place their investment
(factories), all due to the low wages.

Must have been the same guys who built Fukushima on a seismic area
prone to tsunamis.

Oh, the joys of shortsighted capitalism... ;-)

FC


You think Mao or Stalin did any better? I submit they did far worse. The
Fukushima plant did a fairly thorough investigation and missed something
most others had missed, too. There were some really old geological records
that suggested events such as that huge earthquake did indeed create
tsunamis as big as we saw. But basically they were caught flatfooted
despite what should have been adequate research. It was after the event
that the geological record came to the awareness of the authorities.

I know honesty and fairness about criticism are foreign to this list. But
it's ever so much more effective if you criticize with genuine facts rather
than things "everyone knows" that they learned from media which is prone
to selling their product not truth.

{O.O}
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 12-23-2011, 03:37 AM
jdow
 
Default Buy an SSD now, or wait?

On 2011/12/22 20:01, Craig White wrote:

On Fri, 2011-12-23 at 00:29 -0300, Fernando Cassia wrote:


Letīs all give a round of applause to the brainiacs who in the name of
cost cutting, selected a flood-prone area to place their investment
(factories), all due to the low wages.

Must have been the same guys who built Fukushima on a seismic area
prone to tsunamis.

Oh, the joys of shortsighted capitalism... ;-)

----
just as long as we're not expected to applaud yet another oppressively
cynical posting from Fernando. Surprise us... find a positive
affirmation about anything.

Craig


Well, he's right. Capitalism sucks. The alternatives suck far far worse.
I wonder if we could get a good laugh asking him to post a valid alternative
suggestion to capitalism.

{o.o}
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 03:16 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright Đ2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org