-   -   Buy an SSD now, or wait? (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/612859-buy-ssd-now-wait.html)

Christopher Svanefalk 12-22-2011 02:43 PM

Buy an SSD now, or wait?

Thanks for the replies. I was looking to put one into my notebook (fairly new, and from what I know, SSD compatible). I take issue with my current HDD mostly due to the fact that spindown timeouts seem to be broken, and it gets way too hot in some cases. 120GB sounds like a good deal, I have a secondary drive for bulk storage anyway.

On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 4:23 PM, Itamar Reis Peixoto <itamar@ispbrasil.com.br> wrote:

On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 1:08 PM, Christopher Svanefalk

<christopher.svanefalk@gmail.com> wrote:

> I just wondered if anyone here has had any experience in using SSDs in

> general, and with Fedora in particular? I am thinking about an upgrade, but

> I am uncertain whether it is worth it to invest in an SSD now, or let the

> technology ripen for a few more years. I believe the SSD market will expand

> massively in the coming years, and with that, innovation and development in

> the field as well, so waiting seems more reasonable at this stage. Any

> thoughts?

get a sata 3 ssd disk *and a sata 3 motherboard

--

------------

Itamar Reis Peixoto

msn, google talk: itamar@ispbrasil.com.br

+55 11 4063 5033*(FIXO SP)

+55 34 9158 9329*(TIM)

+55 34 8806 3989*(OI)

+55 34 3221 8599*(FIXO MG)

Tom Horsley 12-22-2011 02:44 PM

Buy an SSD now, or wait?

On Thu, 22 Dec 2011 13:23:43 -0200
Itamar Reis Peixoto wrote:

> get a sata 3 ssd disk and a sata 3 motherboard

I just did that on my new system, and it is definitely faster.
I got a 64GB SSD and keep current and previous fedora
partitions on it (32GB each) along with a small stand
along grub for chainloading the fedoras:

http://home.comcast.net/~tomhorsley/hardware/zooty/newzooty.html

Heinz Diehl 12-22-2011 03:18 PM

Buy an SSD now, or wait?

On 22.12.2011, Christopher Svanefalk wrote:

> I just wondered if anyone here has had any experience in using SSDs in
> general, and with Fedora in particular? I am thinking about an upgrade, but
> I am uncertain whether it is worth it to invest in an SSD now, or let the
> technology ripen for a few more years.

It depends on your needs and personal taste. In my opinion, SSD
harddrives are just too expensive. I am quite satisfied with my
7200rmp SATA disks.