-   -   After a while, dolphin, konqueror (and other KDE apps) won't start... (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/612801-after-while-dolphin-konqueror-other-kde-apps-wont-start.html)

Rex Dieter 12-22-2011 12:13 PM

Steven P. Ulrick wrote:

> Let's say I login to a fresh KDE session. All of the above listed
> applications start and function perfectly. Then, let's say I have
> closed all instances of the "offending" KDE applications. If I attempt
> to start one of them from KRunner, it just does not start.

One guess is that your dbus session has stopped responding for some reason.

Does running: qdbus
return and show anything?

Otherwise,
I'd look in ~/.xsession-errors for anything suspicious
try running apps under strace, may give a clue where things are getting
wedged.

-- rex

Rex Dieter 12-24-2011 02:08 AM

Steven P. Ulrick wrote:

> Could not start process Unable to create io-slave:
> klauncher said: Error loading 'kio_file'.
>
> Here is the output of "qdus", as well as a strace for three different
> applications that exhibit this issue:
> http://tinypaste.com/d4d1b2c1 (dolphin)
> http://tinypaste.com/d2d9bc1c (konqueror)
> http://tinypaste.com/35f50887 (ksysguard)
> http://tinypaste.com/4761c6cb (qdbus)
>
> If you need any more information, let me know.

Each of those seem to get stuck in the same place:

connect(21, {sa_family=AF_FILE, path=@"/tmp/fam-steve-"}, 110 <unfinished
...>

So, seems to have something to with fam/gamin not responding

-- rex

Rex Dieter 12-26-2011 11:22 PM

Steven P. Ulrick wrote:

>> So, seems to have something to with fam/gamin not responding
>>
>> -- rex
>
> I just ran "ps -aux | grep gam" and the result was this:
> "steve 1918 0.0 0.0 14028 1132 ? S Dec23 0:00
> /usr/libexec/gam_server"
>
> I thought, Hmm, December 23rd was two days ago. So, I ran "kill 1918"
> and guess what happened? Immediately, Amarok and Ksysguard (which I had
> recently attempted to start) opened up... I have a feeling that if I
> had recently made failed attempts at starting Dolphin and Konqueror,
> that they would have opened up as well.
>
> All of this opens up a few new questions, but at least I know how to get
> around the issue of non-starting KDE apps. We now know that it
> definitely has something to do with "gam_server" We just don't know WHY
> it is behaving this way.

When/if it happens again, please do file a bug against gamin (and feel free
to cc: me or otherwise holler :) )

-- rex