Old 12-22-2011, 07:27 AM
Antonio M

Default Openfoam is available!!!

Openfoam is available for F15 and F16, both 32 bit and 64 bit.

On the download page http://www.openfoam.com/download/fedora.php I
think that the instruction module load openmpi-x86_64 should be read
module load openmpii386 in case of 32 bit.

Shall it be included in the official repos???

--
Antonio Montagnani
Skype : amontag52

Linux Fedora 16 Verne

Old 12-22-2011, 01:39 PM
Patrick O'Callaghan

On Thu, 2011-12-22 at 09:27 +0100, Antonio M wrote:
> Openfoam is available for F15 and F16, both 32 bit and 64 bit.
>
> On the download page http://www.openfoam.com/download/fedora.php I
> think that the instruction module load openmpi-x86_64 should be read
> module load openmpii386 in case of 32 bit.

I must say I get a bit fed up with announcements of this sort, which
can't even be bothered including a line of description about what the
thing is. Why should I be forced to open a Web page to find if I have
any interest in this?

poc

Old 12-22-2011, 01:46 PM
Richard Shaw

On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 2:27 AM, Antonio M <antonio.montagnani@gmail.com> wrote:
> Openfoam is available for F15 and F16, both 32 bit and 64 bit.
>
> On the download page http://www.openfoam.com/download/fedora.php I
> think that the instruction module load openmpi-x86_64 should be read
> module load openmpii386 in case of 32 bit.

I downloaded and inspected the rpms. At least they install into /opt
so they don't pollute your system.

> Shall it be included in the official repos???

I doubt it. I looked at packaging it and the build was a mess. You
build it in place... In other words, you install it first then build
it. This made building using rpmbuild a nightmare. I assumed they
would use the cpack in cmake to make the rpm but it looks like they
indeed used a source RPM. I'd like to get a hold of it and see how
they went about building it.

Richard

Old 12-22-2011, 01:47 PM
Antonio M

2011/12/22 Patrick O'Callaghan <pocallaghan@gmail.com>:
> On Thu, 2011-12-22 at 09:27 +0100, Antonio M wrote:
>> Openfoam is available for F15 and F16, both 32 bit and 64 bit.
>>
>> On the download page http://www.openfoam.com/download/fedora.php I
>> think that the instruction module load openmpi-x86_64 should be read
>> module load openmpii386 in case of 32 bit.
>
> I must say I get a bit fed up with announcements of this sort, which
> can't even be bothered including a line of description about what the
> thing is. Why should I be forced to open a Web page to find if I have
> any interest in this?
>
> poc

Openfoam has been discussed some time ago on this list, and there was
a group interested in packaging it: nobody compels you to open any
page, but I do not care if you didn't follow the thread a while ago.

--
Antonio Montagnani
Skype : amontag52

Linux Fedora 16 Verne

Old 12-22-2011, 02:12 PM
Marko Vojinovic

On Thursday 22 December 2011 10:09:16 Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-12-22 at 09:27 +0100, Antonio M wrote:
> > Openfoam is available for F15 and F16, both 32 bit and 64 bit.
> >
> > On the download page http://www.openfoam.com/download/fedora.php I
> > think that the instruction module load openmpi-x86_64 should be read
> > module load openmpii386 in case of 32 bit.
>
> I must say I get a bit fed up with announcements of this sort, which
> can't even be bothered including a line of description about what the
> thing is. Why should I be forced to open a Web page to find if I have
> any interest in this?

A while ago there was a thread about whether openfoam can or cannot be
included in Fedora, so I guess they are just continuing that discussion.

That said, even if you *do* open the web page, you would have to spend some
time to figure out what it is all about. :-) So I'll give you a shortcut clue:
it is a (very advanced) software development suite for CFD (that is, ehm,
computational fluid dynamics). It is used by scientists and engineers for some
hard-core number crunching you probably don't want to know about... ;-)

But the relevant thing for this list is that it is FOSS but still not included
in Fedora, due to some very obscure compilation methods, so it is a nontrivial
thing to package and be compliant with Fedora packaging guidelines. The
threads and announcements about it on this list have the purpose to find out if
there is enough user interest to actually do that nontrivial packaging work,
or not.

So if you don't already know what openfoam is, you definitely don't need it,
and you are safe to just ignore the threads about it. :-)

HTH, :-)
Marko

Old 12-22-2011, 02:18 PM
Patrick O'Callaghan

On Thu, 2011-12-22 at 15:12 +0000, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> So if you don't already know what openfoam is, you definitely don't
> need it,
> and you are safe to just ignore the threads about it. :-)

Thanks for the explanation, but a single line from the OP saying
"Computational fluid dynamics package" would have been more than
enough.

poc

Old 12-22-2011, 02:22 PM
Patrick O'Callaghan

On Thu, 2011-12-22 at 15:47 +0100, Antonio M wrote:
> 2011/12/22 Patrick O'Callaghan <pocallaghan@gmail.com>:
> > On Thu, 2011-12-22 at 09:27 +0100, Antonio M wrote:
> >> Openfoam is available for F15 and F16, both 32 bit and 64 bit.
> >>
> >> On the download page http://www.openfoam.com/download/fedora.php I
> >> think that the instruction module load openmpi-x86_64 should be read
> >> module load openmpii386 in case of 32 bit.
> >
> > I must say I get a bit fed up with announcements of this sort, which
> > can't even be bothered including a line of description about what the
> > thing is. Why should I be forced to open a Web page to find if I have
> > any interest in this?
> >
> > poc
> >
> > --
>
> Openfoam has been discussed some time ago on this list, and there was
> a group interested in packaging it: nobody compels you to open any
> page, but I do not care if you didn't follow the thread a while ago.

You still don't get it do you? The fact that some random package was
discussed a while back is no reason not to include a one-line
description reminding people what it is. It's not like we're talking
about gcc or X or the kernel. It's a niche interest, but of course I
know that only because of information from another poster, since your
reply adds precisely no useful information to what you posted
originally.

poc

Old 12-22-2011, 02:49 PM
Matthew Saltzman

On Thu, 2011-12-22 at 15:47 +0100, Antonio M wrote:
> 2011/12/22 Patrick O'Callaghan <pocallaghan@gmail.com>:
> > On Thu, 2011-12-22 at 09:27 +0100, Antonio M wrote:
> >> Openfoam is available for F15 and F16, both 32 bit and 64 bit.
> >>
> >> On the download page http://www.openfoam.com/download/fedora.php I
> >> think that the instruction module load openmpi-x86_64 should be read
> >> module load openmpii386 in case of 32 bit.
> >
> > I must say I get a bit fed up with announcements of this sort, which
> > can't even be bothered including a line of description about what the
> > thing is. Why should I be forced to open a Web page to find if I have
> > any interest in this?
> >
> > poc
>
> Openfoam has been discussed some time ago on this list, and there was
> a group interested in packaging it: nobody compels you to open any
> page, but I do not care if you didn't follow the thread a while ago.

I don't recall the earlier discussion, for whatever reason. But
consider the reverse question. If you included a sentence about what
the thing is when you start a thread like this, it might pique my
interest and get me to click where I otherwise might not. If it really
is of interest, you'd expand your user base and maybe even your
developer community. And isn't that part of what open source is about?

--
Matthew Saltzman
Clemson University Mathematical Sciences

Old 12-23-2011, 01:23 PM
Richard Shaw

On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 2:27 AM, Antonio M <antonio.montagnani@gmail.com> wrote:
> Openfoam is available for F15 and F16, both 32 bit and 64 bit.
>
> On the download page http://www.openfoam.com/download/fedora.php I
> think that the instruction module load openmpi-x86_64 should be read
> module load openmpii386 in case of 32 bit.
>
> Shall it be included in the official repos???

As an aside (or rather back to the main topic! )

I have scotch building from a source RPM with minimal rpmlint output
(at least what I can personally fix).

If someone wants to take it I'll put it up for download. I only have a
historical interest in CFD from my college days and don't have a use
for it at the moment.

Richard

Old 12-23-2011, 02:35 PM
Claude Jones

You still don't get it do you? The fact that some random package was
discussed a while back is no reason not to include a one-line
description reminding people what it is. It's not like we're talking
about gcc or X or the kernel. It's a niche interest, but of course I
know that only because of information from another poster, since your
reply adds precisely no useful information to what you posted
originally.

/aim at high horse --------------------------->
The OpenFOAM® (Open Field Operation and Manipulation) CFD Toolbox is a
free, open source CFD software package produced by OpenCFD Ltd. It has a
large user base across most areas of engineering and science, from both
commercial and academic organisations. OpenFOAM has an extensive range
of features to solve anything from complex fluid flows involving
chemical reactions, turbulence and heat transfer, to solid dynamics and
electromagnetics. It includes tools for meshing, notably snappyHexMesh,
a parallelised mesher for complex CAD geometries, and for pre- and
post-processing. Almost everything (including meshing, and pre- and
post-processing) runs in parallel as standard, enabling users to take
full advantage of computer hardware at their disposal.

/end knocking off pedestal practice

It appears to be scientific software to study fluid and electromagnetic
dynamics - took three seconds to find the above description

--
Claude Jones Brunswick, MD, USA