Old 12-23-2011, 05:28 PM
Thomas Cameron

Default Openfoam is available!!!

Old 12-23-2011, 06:25 PM
Claude Jones

On 12/23/2011 1:28 PM, Thomas Cameron wrote:

The OP really should have included that description.

agreed, but, his omission wasn't deserving of all the claptrap it got; I
try to stay out of the noise on the list, but, of late, it's become like
summer mosquitoes in Canada's forests around here - there are too many
passing time in self-laudatory pedestal mounting, while slinging
put-downs of others

the Openfoam project is probably of great interest to a very small
subset of listmembers - they would have appreciated the new information
if they hadn't heard it - if you hadn't heard of OpenFoam, you had the
option of ignoring the post, or doing a quick check to find out what it
was about (as I said, it took me three seconds) - what's the point of a
long thread castigating the OP???

--
Claude Jones Brunswick, MD, USA

Old 12-23-2011, 09:09 PM
Patrick O'Callaghan

On Fri, 2011-12-23 at 14:25 -0500, Claude Jones wrote:
> if you hadn't heard of OpenFoam, you had the
> option of ignoring the post, or doing a quick check to find out what
> it was about (as I said, it took me three seconds)

You seem to have missed the point of the complaint, which is that
announcements should not force the reader to do extra work in order to
get even the most basic information about what's being announced,
"basic" meaning the minimum necessary to make a quick decision between
"might be interested" and "am not interested".

> - what's the point of a long thread castigating the OP???

It would have been a short thread had the OP not tried to justify
himself despite being clearly wrong, but of course I'm biased.

poc

Old 12-23-2011, 09:24 PM
Claude Jones

You seem to have missed the point of the complaint

you seem to miss the point of my complaint, which is about your
incessant, pedantic, self-centered, nanny-routine

now I'm feeding you. I've said my piece - you may have the last word
--
Claude Jones Brunswick, MD, USA

Old 12-24-2011, 08:25 AM
Tim

On Fri, 2011-12-23 at 08:23 -0600, Richard Shaw wrote:

> I have scotch building from a source RPM with minimal rpmlint output
> (at least what I can personally fix).

You're making open source booze? ;-)

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

Old 12-24-2011, 12:01 PM
Richard Shaw

On Sat, Dec 24, 2011 at 3:25 AM, Tim <ignored_mailbox@yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-12-23 at 08:23 -0600, Richard Shaw wrote:
>>
>> I have scotch building from a source RPM with minimal rpmlint output
>> (at least what I can personally fix).
>
> You're making open source booze? *;-)

Why not?

I didn't name it I'm not sure if it's a play on words or not...

Richard

Old 12-24-2011, 01:45 PM
Tim

On Fri, 2011-12-23 at 14:25 -0500, Claude Jones wrote:
> if you hadn't heard of OpenFoam, you had the option of ignoring the
> post, or doing a quick check to find out what it was about (as I said,
> it took me three seconds) - what's the point of a long thread
> castigating the OP???

It's generally considered poor form to announce something, and then say
find out what it is from a website. It's the same process as email
scams.

At least when the announcement has a concise description of what's being
announced, it's a bit less of a risk to follow the link. It can also
save a website from having several hundred people look at it, who don't
really need to.