Old 03-28-2008, 12:23 AM

Default Reinstall FC8

How to reinstall Fc8 without losing home directory?

Old 03-28-2008, 12:35 AM
Ed Greshko

ramachandranc1@aim.com wrote:

How to reinstall Fc8 without losing home directory?

The first question is... Did you have the foresight to put /home on its own
partition? That will affect the answer....

Old 03-28-2008, 06:41 AM
Ed Greshko

ramachandranc1@aim.com <mailto:ramachandranc1@aim.com>

How to reinstall Fc8 without losing home directory?

The first question is... Did you have the foresight to put /home on its
own partition? That will affect the answer....

No.I don't have a separate partition for home.

You should keep your replies on the list as you will get more help when
other participate.

You have several alternatives. The easiest would be to backup your home
directory to an external disk. If that is not possible, you'd probably we
best served by rearranging your disk to provide /home with its own partition
prior to doing a reinstall.

Old 03-28-2008, 10:32 AM
Tim

ramachandranc1@aim.com:
>> No.I don't have a separate partition for home.

Ed Greshko:
> You have several alternatives. The easiest would be to backup your home
> directory to an external disk. If that is not possible, you'd probably we
> best served by rearranging your disk to provide /home with its own partition
> prior to doing a reinstall.

An alternative is: Before commencing re-installing, "rm" all the files
and directories *other* than /home, then continue installing.

You can do that by booting from a rescue disc, or booting from the
installation disc, but swapping terminals when it pauses for you to make
some decisions before starting the actual install.

important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.

Old 03-29-2008, 08:51 PM
John Thompson

On 2008-03-28, ramachandranc1@aim.com <ramachandranc1@aim.com> wrote:

> How to reinstall Fc8 without losing home directory?

If you put /home on its own filesystem, the reinstall is trivial. Just
tell the installer to leave the /home device alone when it prepares
filesystems for the installation.

Otherwise: backup, install (this time creating /home on its own
filesystem), and restore /home from your backup.

--

John (john@os2.dhs.org)

Old 03-30-2008, 12:59 PM
"Richard Shaw"

On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 6:32 AM, Tim <ignored_mailbox@yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> ramachandranc1@aim.com:
>
> >> No.I don't have a separate partition for home.
>
> Ed Greshko:
>
> > You have several alternatives. The easiest would be to backup your home
> > directory to an external disk. If that is not possible, you'd probably we
> > best served by rearranging your disk to provide /home with its own partition
> > prior to doing a reinstall.
>
> An alternative is: Before commencing re-installing, "rm" all the files
> and directories *other* than /home, then continue installing.
>
> You can do that by booting from a rescue disc, or booting from the
> installation disc, but swapping terminals when it pauses for you to make
> some decisions before starting the actual install.
>
> --
> (This computer runs FC7, my others run FC4, FC5 & FC6, in case that's
> important to the thread.)

Richard