-   -   Dovecot problem (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/612253-dovecot-problem.html)

Timothy Murphy 12-21-2011 12:35 AM

Dovecot problem

I'm trying to setup dovecot on a new server,
to replace the server I have been using
which is having some hardware problems.

The new server is running CentOS-6.1 ;
the current server is running CentOS-5.7.

Dovecot runs fine on the current server,
but on the new server when I get
------------------------
[tim@blanche ~]$ telnet grover 143
Trying 192.168.2.5...
Connected to grover.
Escape character is '^]'.
Connection closed by foreign host.
------------------------

(I notice I don't have a /var/log/dovecot on the new server,
as I do on the old one.)

On my new server I'm using the very brief /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
created by running
doveconf -n > dovecot-new.conf
as suggested,
and transferring this to dovecot.conf
(keeping the original as dovecot.conf.orig):
------------------------
# 2.0.9: /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
# OS: Linux 2.6.32-131.17.1.el6.x86_64 x86_64 CentOS release 6.1 (Final)
mbox_write_locks = fcntl
passdb {
driver = pam
}
protocols = imap
ssl_cert = </etc/pki/dovecot/certs/dovecot.pem
ssl_key = </etc/pki/dovecot/private/dovecot.pem
userdb {
driver = passwd
}
------------------------

Any advice or enlightenment gratefully received.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net

Craig White 12-21-2011 12:50 AM

Dovecot problem

On Wed, 2011-12-21 at 01:35 +0000, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> I'm trying to setup dovecot on a new server,
> to replace the server I have been using
> which is having some hardware problems.
>
> The new server is running CentOS-6.1 ;
> the current server is running CentOS-5.7.
>
> Dovecot runs fine on the current server,
> but on the new server when I get
> ------------------------
> [tim@blanche ~]$ telnet grover 143
> Trying 192.168.2.5...
> Connected to grover.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> Connection closed by foreign host.
> ------------------------
>
> (I notice I don't have a /var/log/dovecot on the new server,
> as I do on the old one.)
>
> On my new server I'm using the very brief /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
> created by running
> doveconf -n > dovecot-new.conf
> as suggested,
> and transferring this to dovecot.conf
> (keeping the original as dovecot.conf.orig):
> ------------------------
> # 2.0.9: /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
> # OS: Linux 2.6.32-131.17.1.el6.x86_64 x86_64 CentOS release 6.1 (Final)
> mbox_write_locks = fcntl
> passdb {
> driver = pam
> }
> protocols = imap
> ssl_cert = </etc/pki/dovecot/certs/dovecot.pem
> ssl_key = </etc/pki/dovecot/private/dovecot.pem
> userdb {
> driver = passwd
> }
> ------------------------
>
> Any advice or enlightenment gratefully received.
----
1 - Asking Fedora list for CentOS server software is off-topic and
potentially useless

2 - Chances are that logs are going to /var/log/maillog

3 - Was there an actual question somewhere?

Craig

believed to be clean.

Mike Chambers 12-21-2011 06:56 AM

Dovecot problem

On Wed, 2011-12-21 at 01:35 +0000, Timothy Murphy wrote:

> On my new server I'm using the very brief /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
> created by running
> doveconf -n > dovecot-new.conf
> as suggested,
> and transferring this to dovecot.conf
> (keeping the original as dovecot.conf.orig):

Also check out /etc/dovecot/conf.d as there are bunches of scripts in
there that can be changed as well. You don't copy them or add their
contents to anything. Just edit the file, save it and restart dovecot.

--
Mike Chambers
Madisonville, KY

"Best little town on Earth!"

Andy Blanchard 12-21-2011 07:12 AM

Dovecot problem

Also check out /etc/dovecot/conf.d as there are bunches of scripts in

there that can be changed as well. *You don't copy them or add their

contents to anything. *Just edit the file, save it and restart dovecot.

This is most likely it.* The last update on Fedora caught me on the hop because it disabled non-secure protocols by default and I hadn't moved one of the clients over to an encrypted connection.* If Centos has pushed the same update, you'll need to either use IMAPS or add an "address = *" line to the "inet_listener imap" section in "/etc/dovecot/conf.d/10-master.conf"

Andy

The only person to have all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe

Timothy Murphy 12-21-2011 10:59 AM

Dovecot problem

Craig White wrote:

>> I'm trying to setup dovecot on a new server,
>> to replace the server I have been using
>> which is having some hardware problems.
>>
>> The new server is running CentOS-6.1 ;
>> the current server is running CentOS-5.7.
>>
>> Dovecot runs fine on the current server,
>> but on the new server when I get
>> ------------------------
>> [tim@blanche ~]$ telnet grover 143
>> Trying 192.168.2.5...
>> Connected to grover.
>> Escape character is '^]'.
>> Connection closed by foreign host.
>> ------------------------
>>
>> (I notice I don't have a /var/log/dovecot on the new server,
>> as I do on the old one.)

> 1 - Asking Fedora list for CentOS server software is off-topic and
> potentially useless

I should have said that the imap client I was using was a Fedora-16 laptop.
But I should have asked the question on the CentOS list, as you suggest;
though I must admit one is more likely to get an answer here,
even if the question is not strictly relevant.

> 2 - Chances are that logs are going to /var/log/maillog

That did indeed give the solution.
Thank you.
For some reason the error messages from dovecot now go to /var/log/maillog ,
while the old version set up a directory /var/log/dovecot .

It turned out the problem was to do with the certificate I was using.

> 3 - Was there an actual question somewhere?

I did actually end with the words "Any advice or elucidation
gratefully received", which while technically not a question
is an implicit request for a response.