Old 12-21-2011, 04:06 AM

Default Fedora vs openSUSE

On 12/21/2011 01:05 AM, Craig White wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-12-20 at 18:31 +0000, g wrote:
>
>> i am red hat/fedora/sl oriented because i do not mind putting out
>> effort to administer them to keep them running.
> ----
> ???
> ----
-=-

what '???' ?

>> fedora is truly not for someone who is oos minded.
> ----
> possibly - but just out of curiosity, do you have any installed from or
> have enabled rpmfusion-nonfree repo?
> ----
-=-

no.

only software i have installed, other than what is in standard distribution
of fedora and sl, are cad and eda related. none of which came from
rpmfusion-nonfree repo.

fact is, i do not have rpmfusion-nonfree in my repo lists.

curiously, why do you ask?

>> suse/ubuntu are for simple oos minded users.
> ----
> I think he asked about openSuSE which is a bit different and to be
> honest,
-=-

made be that i over simplified.

suse, opensuse, are they not from same group of attachmate group?
which is associated with microsoft and it's consortium's.

> I have never used openSuSE and it's been years since I used SuSE
> but saying that Ubuntu is for simple oos minded users is a
> characterization that I just don't agree with. It's just a different
> Linux distribution and seems reasonably easy to work with - like any
> Fedora/Red Hat derived system.
-=-

for you and i, fedora/red hat are easy. for many oos users who try one
linux distrib and then another, i would say that many more end up with
suse or ubuntu do so because they are simpler and easier for them to use,
not in that they are simpletons. and not just because of fedora's short eol.

> ----
>> in other words, if you have to keep asking about the two and do not
>> realize differance yet, go with suse/ubuntu or stay with oos.
> ----
> The real truth is that it's stupid to accept other people's
> characterizations of one distribution over another since everyone looks
> for different things and only through first hand experience can one
> actually know.
-=-

i agree. yet he keeps on asking. being that op has been told many times to
get 'live' and make his own decision, and not doing so, he is leaning in
wrong direction and more like that if he fails, it will not be his fault,
but fault of others because 'they' told him what to use. then has a
'scape goat' to blame his short comings on.

--

peace out.

tc.hago,

.

*please reply "plain text" only. "html text" are deleted*

****
**
**
**
So I installed Linux.
**
learn linux:
'HowtoForge' http://howtoforge.com/
****

Old 12-21-2011, 05:12 AM

<>

> Your email address says absolutely nothing about your nationality,
-=-

my nationality is American, living United States of America. in respect
that Canadians are Americans living in Canada. just as Mexicans are
Americans living in Mexico.

i have never understood why Americans are just Americans with out
distinction as to what part.

my ancestry is Greek and Scotch-Irish.

> and is only loosely correlated with your location.
-=-

if they really wanted to know, they could check my ip address. :-)

while yours, on the other hand, tends to have a miss leading to it.

}> From: Patrick O'Callaghan <pocallaghan@gmail.com>

where 192.168.1.8 would tend to indicate your router interface.

190.200.176.238 may be part of your lan.

yet it identifies as;

CANTV Servicios, Venezuela
VE-CSVE-LACNIC
Ram´┐Żn Cabello
Segunda Avenida de los Palos Grandes, 000, Entre Av. Fr
1060 - Caracas - MI
VE

your message id shows 'bree.homelinux.com'
which is hosted by;

Hostmaster, DynDNS hostmaster@dyndns.com
Dynamic Network Services, Inc.
150 Dow St.
Manchester, NH 03101
US

with an email address from gmail.com

so, just where you are could be a 'toss up'. :-)

> I can't image why you would think that, nor can I imagine why it would
> matter.
-=-

it was not you and i realize such after sending. and as you say, it
really does not matter.

> My comment was meant to apply to the members of the list, not
> just myself.
-=-

understood.

> I'm afraid the "mouse" epithet is over my head.
-=-

just a comment used when a singular person repeatedly, tho you did not,
uses term 'we', and was intended jokingly. being that you are not familiar
with term, you would not catch it.

--

peace out.

tc.hago,

.

Old 12-21-2011, 05:21 AM
LinuxIsOne

On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 12:01 AM, g <geleem@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> On 12/20/2011 05:18 PM, Rameshwar Kr. Sharma wrote:
> <>
>
> the fedora vs suse vs ubuntu troll is back. new name. same game.
>

> i tried suse and gave it up. i tried ubuntu and gave it up.
>
> i am red hat/fedora/sl oriented because i do not mind putting out
> effort to administer them to keep them running.
>
> fedora is truly not for someone who is oos minded.
>
> suse/ubuntu are for simple oos minded users.
>

> in other words, if you have to keep asking about the two and do not
> realize differance yet, go with suse/ubuntu or stay with oos.
>

> if you try to use fedora, you will be posting to this list continuously
> trying to get fedora to work.
>
> fedora will take a lot more on your part than oos/suse/ubuntu.

I am sorry, I didn't get what is back? And I am new, I also never
expect replies like you have given. But thanks.

Old 12-21-2011, 05:22 AM
LinuxIsOne

On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 12:01 AM, g <geleem@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> On 12/20/2011 05:18 PM, Rameshwar Kr. Sharma wrote:
> <>
>
> the fedora vs suse vs ubuntu troll is back. new name. same game.
>

> i tried suse and gave it up. i tried ubuntu and gave it up.
>
> i am red hat/fedora/sl oriented because i do not mind putting out
> effort to administer them to keep them running.
>
> fedora is truly not for someone who is oos minded.
>
> suse/ubuntu are for simple oos minded users.
>

> in other words, if you have to keep asking about the two and do not
> realize differance yet, go with suse/ubuntu or stay with oos.
>

> if you try to use fedora, you will be posting to this list continuously
> trying to get fedora to work.
>
> fedora will take a lot more on your part than oos/suse/ubuntu.

And remember you are mis understanding a new person, he is new and
please use good language.

Old 12-21-2011, 05:54 AM
"Rameshwar Kr. Sharma"

On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 6:35 AM, Craig White <craigwhite@azapple.com> wrote:

>> fedora is truly not for someone who is oos minded.

> possibly - but just out of curiosity, do you have any installed from or
> have enabled rpmfusion-nonfree repo?

>> suse/ubuntu are for simple oos minded users.

> I think he asked about openSuSE which is a bit different and to be
> honest, I have never used openSuSE and it's been years since I used SuSE
> but saying that Ubuntu is for simple oos minded users is a
> characterization that I just don't agree with. It's just a different
> Linux distribution and seems reasonably easy to work with - like any
> Fedora/Red Hat derived system.

>> in other words, if you have to keep asking about the two and do not
>> realize differance yet, go with suse/ubuntu or stay with oos.

> The real truth is that it's stupid to accept other people's
> characterizations of one distribution over another since everyone looks
> for different things and only through first hand experience can one
> actually know.

Really good answers and I see from Live CDs then. I was confused since
I was someone told me about openSUSE but I read about its deal with
MS.

Old 12-21-2011, 05:54 AM
"Rameshwar Kr. Sharma"

On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 12:02 AM, Antonio Olivares
<olivares14031@yahoo.com> wrote:

> If you want to learn linux, then go and get Slackware!
> If you want hand holding and flash + codecs get Mint based on Ubuntu, If you want 2 learn Fedora then stay and use it. *If you want to use OpenSUSE you can do it too.

> If you just want to get a feel for either system get a livecd and run it from each system. Then try to decide for yourself which systems works better for you. *OpenSUSE slept with the devil in the M$ deal, but it is a good system and if that does not bother you? *You can also go for Arch Linux, Gentoo Linux or other source based distro in which you really get to learn linux and not let the distro creators what they want* and you get to decide what you want*!

> Fedora is an excellent system but you have to try it on your own and get to like it.

Well, thanks for the suggestions, I really would have to see the Live CDs.

Old 12-21-2011, 05:54 AM
"Rameshwar Kr. Sharma"

On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 4:53 AM, charles zeitler <cfzeitler@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Fedora is not constrained by cooperating with Microsoft...

>> I really didn't understand this sentence and its hidden (may be) meaning.

> Opensuses' 'agreement' with Microsoft

> http://www.suse.com/company/press/2011/7/microsoft-and-suse-renew-successful-interoperability-agreement.html

> necessarily imposes limitations (theoretical if not actual) on its development
> ('intellectual property concerns')

Oh I see, this is really amazing. So should I not use openSUSE because
of this deal? Thanks.

Old 12-21-2011, 05:58 AM
"Rameshwar Kr. Sharma"

On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 11:42 AM, g <geleem@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> i have never understood why Americans are just Americans with out
> distinction as to what part.

> my ancestry is Greek and Scotch-Irish.

I guess these are technical lists and anything you say for Americans,
this is not the right place, I assume you are a bit more confused with
you life, so putting any frustration here itself.

Further you are impersonating me to someone else, I don't know what is
your intention but I asked the question here to get some good answers
like many persons here have suggested, but you seem more to be a troll
who is interested in other topics, and starting a debate which serves
no purpose to the mailing lists of Fedora, so I hope you please

Further, please guys, if I am wrong, let me know! Thanks. And God Bless Ram.

Old 12-21-2011, 05:59 AM
Paul Allen Newell