Old 12-20-2011, 10:23 PM
charles zeitler

Default Fedora vs openSUSE

Do what thou wilt
shall be the whole of the Law.

On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 12:01 PM, Rameshwar Kr. Sharma
<mathsrealworld@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 11:04 PM, charles zeitler <cfzeitler@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Fedora is not constrained by cooperating with Microsoft...
>
> I really didn't understand this sentence and its hidden (may be) meaning.

Opensuses' 'agreement' with Microsoft

http://www.suse.com/company/press/2011/7/microsoft-and-suse-renew-successful-interoperability-agreement.html

necessarily imposes limitations (theoretical if not actual) on its development
('intellectual property concerns')

charles zeitler
--

Love is the law, love under will.

Old 12-20-2011, 11:21 PM
Antonio Olivares

> > I think the first inappropriate post belongs to Mr.
> Zeitler.* Putting
> > his quote at the start of every message is equivalent
> to:
> -=-
>
> 2 things that make this country so great are;
>
> * freedom of speech.
>
> * freedom of religious belief.
>

> are you against our constitution?

Seems the government is Patriot Act! Bin Laden is apparently dead, US Navy Seals ran
# rm -rf /bin/laden

now that matter is taken care of, can we repeal patriot act?

> granted, this is a fedora tech support list, but where do
> you believe
> red hat would be without our constitution?

Constitution has no reference to direct or indirect to red hat/fedora or other Linux/GNU/Linux Distribution right? If I am wrong please point me to where it is?

> what you wrote is your belief and your right to do so, just
> as it is
> zeitler's right to.
>
> --

Everyone has rights, some just have more than others

People have right to post almost anything that they want, there are some exceptions and some things that are way from Left Field.

--------------------
e^{ipi} + 1 = 0;
religions, worst damnation of mankind;
"If 386BSD had been available when I started on Linux, Linux would probably never had happened." Linus Torvalds
--------------------

Now question, which one of the above statements/signatures would be inappropriate here?

As for the original question, many folks have provided excellent answers and the OP has the right to decide for (him|her)self which one or ones he/she would try out.

Regards,

Antonio

Old 12-20-2011, 11:34 PM
Patrick O'Callaghan

On Tue, 2011-12-20 at 21:29 +0000, Alan Cox wrote:
> > Of course, such messages could be interpreted as eyeballs paying for
> > offered help; a personalized Google business model - I give you help
> > for free, you give me your attention on my message.
>
> Or you could just treat it as that persons little .sig quirk of their
> own, just like all the others people have

Not quite all. I did once object to this because he insists on putting
it at the start of every message, where one can hardly avoid seeing it.
I don't think I've ever seen another poster on this or any other list do
that, and frankly IMHO it's a bit much. There are plenty of
objectionable .sigs around, but at least you don't have to look at them.

poc

Old 12-20-2011, 11:36 PM
Patrick O'Callaghan

On Tue, 2011-12-20 at 23:03 +0000, g wrote:
> 2 things that make this country so great are;

Which country would that be? (rhetorical question of course). There are
lots of list members from lots of different countries. Don't assume
we're all from the same place.

poc

Old 12-20-2011, 11:53 PM
Craig White

On Tue, 2011-12-20 at 16:21 -0800, Antonio Olivares wrote:
> > > I think the first inappropriate post belongs to Mr.
> > Zeitler. Putting
> > > his quote at the start of every message is equivalent
> > to:
> > -=-
> >
> > 2 things that make this country so great are;
> >
> > freedom of speech.
> >
> > freedom of religious belief.
> >

> > are you against our constitution?
>
> Seems the government is Patriot Act! Bin Laden is apparently dead, US Navy Seals ran
> # rm -rf /bin/laden
>
> now that matter is taken care of, can we repeal patriot act?
> >

> > granted, this is a fedora tech support list, but where do
> > you believe
> > red hat would be without our constitution?
> >
> Constitution has no reference to direct or indirect to red hat/fedora or other Linux/GNU/Linux Distribution right? If I am wrong please point me to where it is?
>

> > what you wrote is your belief and your right to do so, just
> > as it is
> > zeitler's right to.
> >
> > --
>
> Everyone has rights, some just have more than others
>
> People have right to post almost anything that they want, there are some exceptions and some things that are way from Left Field.
>
> --------------------
> e^{ipi} + 1 = 0;
> religions, worst damnation of mankind;
> "If 386BSD had been available when I started on Linux, Linux would probably never had happened." Linus Torvalds
> --------------------
>
> Now question, which one of the above statements/signatures would be inappropriate here?
>
> As for the original question, many folks have provided excellent answers and the OP has the right to decide for (him|her)self which one or ones he/she would try out.
----
signatures are like bumper stickers... easy and cheap attempts to adopt
someone else's witty (hopefully) musings and somehow be made more noble
by adopting the tag. The only signature I have seen in the past 10 years
that I actually liked was simply...

:wq

and I would steal it except that I am an emacs person

Craig

believed to be clean.

Old 12-21-2011, 12:05 AM
Craig White

On Tue, 2011-12-20 at 18:31 +0000, g wrote:

> i am red hat/fedora/sl oriented because i do not mind putting out
> effort to administer them to keep them running.
----
???
----

> fedora is truly not for someone who is oos minded.
----
possibly - but just out of curiosity, do you have any installed from or
have enabled rpmfusion-nonfree repo?
----

> suse/ubuntu are for simple oos minded users.
----
I think he asked about openSuSE which is a bit different and to be
honest, I have never used openSuSE and it's been years since I used SuSE
but saying that Ubuntu is for simple oos minded users is a
characterization that I just don't agree with. It's just a different
Linux distribution and seems reasonably easy to work with - like any
Fedora/Red Hat derived system.
----

> in other words, if you have to keep asking about the two and do not
> realize differance yet, go with suse/ubuntu or stay with oos.
----
The real truth is that it's stupid to accept other people's
characterizations of one distribution over another since everyone looks
for different things and only through first hand experience can one
actually know.

Craig

believed to be clean.

Old 12-21-2011, 12:17 AM

On 12/21/2011 12:21 AM, Antonio Olivares wrote:
<>

>> are you against our constitution?

> Seems the government is Patriot Act! Bin Laden is apparently dead, US
> Navy Seals ran
> # rm -rf /bin/laden
-=-

the "USA PATRIOT Act" is not against our constitution.

it *is* against _terrorism_.

> now that matter is taken care of, can we repeal patriot act?
-=-

i hope never. it is needed and should stay in place.

>> granted, this is a fedora tech support list, but where do
>> you believe
>> red hat would be without our constitution?
>>
> Constitution has no reference to direct or indirect to red hat/fedora or
> other Linux/GNU/Linux Distribution right? If I am wrong please point me
> to where it is?
-=-

if the U.S.A. was without the "United States Constitution", would we have
computers? would we have had unix and now linux? would we have this fedora
tech support list?

would you and i be corresponding? i do not believe so.

> Everyone has rights, some just have more than others
-=-

not so much with this list as it is with others.

> People have right to post almost anything that they want, there are some
> exceptions and some things that are way from Left Field.
-=-

true. yet we/some still respond. negatively and positively.

> --------------------
> e^{ipi} + 1 = 0;
> religions, worst damnation of mankind;
> "If 386BSD had been available when I started on Linux, Linux would
> probably never had happened." Linus Torvalds
> --------------------
>
> Now question, which one of the above statements/signatures would be
> inappropriate here?
-=-

by etiquette guide lines, none of them.

without the "United States Constitution", all of them.

> As for the original question, many folks have provided excellent answers
> and the OP has the right to decide for (him|her)self which one or ones
> he/she would try out.
-=-

this has been pointed out many times to op, and in reply to his/her/it's
many personae.

yet, he/she/it continues to ask.

--

peace out.

tc.hago,

.

*please reply "plain text" only. "html text" are deleted*

****
**
**
**
So I installed Linux.
**
learn linux:
'HowtoForge' http://howtoforge.com/
****

Old 12-21-2011, 12:45 AM
Craig White

On Wed, 2011-12-21 at 01:17 +0000, g wrote:
> On 12/21/2011 12:21 AM, Antonio Olivares wrote:
> <>
>
> >> are you against our constitution?
>
> > Seems the government is Patriot Act! Bin Laden is apparently dead, US
> > Navy Seals ran
> > # rm -rf /bin/laden
> -=-
>
> the "USA PATRIOT Act" is not against our constitution.
>
> it *is* against _terrorism_.
>

> > now that matter is taken care of, can we repeal patriot act?
> -=-
>
> i hope never. it is needed and should stay in place.
----
I thoroughly disagree but this is not the place for this discussion so I
will defer and hope that you will too.

Craig

believed to be clean.

Old 12-21-2011, 12:53 AM

<>

> Which country would that be? (rhetorical question of course). There are
> lots of list members from lots of different countries. Don't assume
> we're all from the same place.
-=-

true. but if any are in wonder, they can always have a look at my
email address.

others wise, United States of America.

from another post in past few weeks, i thought you and "mouse in your pocket"
had moved to u.s.a.

--

peace out.

tc.hago,

.

Old 12-21-2011, 02:36 AM
Patrick O'Callaghan

On Wed, 2011-12-21 at 01:53 +0000, g wrote:
> On 12/21/2011 12:36 AM, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> <>
>
> > Which country would that be? (rhetorical question of course). There are
> > lots of list members from lots of different countries. Don't assume
> > we're all from the same place.
> -=-
>
> true. but if any are in wonder, they can always have a look at my
> email address.

Your email address says absolutely nothing about your nationality, and
is only loosely correlated with your location.

> others wise, United States of America.
>

> from another post in past few weeks, i thought you and "mouse in your pocket"
> had moved to u.s.a.

I can't image why you would think that, nor can I imagine why it would
matter. My comment was meant to apply to the members of the list, not
just myself. I'm afraid the "mouse" epithet is over my head.

poc