Old 12-20-2011, 06:45 PM
"Darryl L. Pierce"

Default Fedora vs openSUSE

On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 11:34:00AM -0600, charles zeitler wrote:
> Do what thou wilt
> shall be the whole of the Law.

What is the law?

No spill blood.

Who makes the rules?

Someone else.

Delivering value year after year.
http://www.redhat.com/promo/vendor/

Old 12-20-2011, 06:58 PM
Joe Zeff

On 12/20/2011 11:45 AM, Darryl L. Pierce wrote:

On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 11:34:00AM -0600, charles zeitler wrote:

Do what thou wilt
shall be the whole of the Law.

What is the law?

No spill blood.

Who makes the rules?

Someone else.

I'll tell you what, people, how about if we stop this line of discussion
right here before it gets into a Holy War. If nothing else, I'm almost
sure nobody on this list wants me to start talking about the 613
Commandments. In the unlikely event that I'm wrong, email me off list
for an explanation because I'm simply Not Going There on this list.

Old 12-20-2011, 07:07 PM
Paul Allen Newell

I'll tell you what, people, how about if we stop this line of
discussion right here before it gets into a Holy War. If nothing
else, I'm almost sure nobody on this list wants me to start talking
about the 613 Commandments. In the unlikely event that I'm wrong,
email me off list for an explanation because I'm simply Not Going
There on this list.

As far as I am concerned, you are not wrong.

Darryl's post is not appropriate for this list

Paul

Old 12-20-2011, 07:14 PM
Joe Zeff

As far as I am concerned, you are not wrong.

Darryl's post is not appropriate for this list

Thank you, Paul. I doubt, however, that Darryl meant to take things
that far off-topic or realized what might happen.

Old 12-20-2011, 08:08 PM
stan

On Tue, 20 Dec 2011 12:07:34 -0800
Paul Allen Newell <pnewell@cs.cmu.edu> wrote:

> As far as I am concerned, you are not wrong.
> Darryl's post is not appropriate for this list

I think the first inappropriate post belongs to Mr. Zeitler. Putting
his quote at the start of every message is equivalent to:

Every Christian starting their messages with 'Jesus is Lord'.
Every Muslim starting their messages with 'Allah Akbar'.
Every Hindu starting their messages with 'Hare Krishna, Hare Hare, Hare
Rama'.
Every Buddhist starting their messages with 'Form is emptiness,
emptiness is form'.
Every Taoist starting their messages with 'The Tao that can be spoken
is not the true Tao'.
etc., etc.
If your religion or belief system is not mentioned above, I didn't mean
to slight you, I'm probably just not familiar with it.

People are welcome to their beliefs, but a technical mailing list
doesn't seem to be the place to proselytize or air those beliefs.

Of course, such messages could be interpreted as eyeballs paying for
offered help; a personalized Google business model - I give you help
for free, you give me your attention on my message.

Old 12-20-2011, 08:29 PM
Alan Cox

On Tue, 20 Dec 2011 14:08:53 -0700
stan <gryt2@q.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Dec 2011 12:07:34 -0800
> Paul Allen Newell <pnewell@cs.cmu.edu> wrote:
>
> > As far as I am concerned, you are not wrong.
> > Darryl's post is not appropriate for this list
>
> I think the first inappropriate post belongs to Mr. Zeitler. Putting
> his quote at the start of every message is equivalent to:

Well your email starts "Tue, 20", which is Tueday aka Tiwesdæg which is
celebrating a proto-Germanic god and from there-in it gets silly.

> People are welcome to their beliefs, but a technical mailing list
> doesn't seem to be the place to proselytize or air those beliefs.

I trust there will be no comments about Merry Christmas (now or in
January according to sect), people will remember that the new year is an
arbitary construct that differs between cultures on the list.

> Of course, such messages could be interpreted as eyeballs paying for
> offered help; a personalized Google business model - I give you help
> for free, you give me your attention on my message.

Or you could just treat it as that persons little .sig quirk of their
own, just like all the others people have

Alan
---
Mae fy hofrenfad i yn llawn llysywod

Old 12-20-2011, 08:59 PM
Ted Roche

On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 4:29 PM, Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> wrote:

> Or you could just treat it as that persons little .sig quirk of their
> own, just like all the others people have
>
> Alan
> ---
> Mae fy hofrenfad i yn llawn llysywod
> --

Are you suggesting, "Be liberal in what you accept, and conservative
in what you send?"

We could do worse.

--
Ted Roche
Ted Roche & Associates, LLC

Old 12-20-2011, 09:01 PM
Paul Allen Newell

Are you suggesting, "Be liberal in what you accept, and conservative
in what you send?"

We could do worse.

+1

Old 12-20-2011, 09:59 PM
jdow

Your hovercraft is too full of eels? (Thank Google for that humor.)

{^_-}

Old 12-20-2011, 10:03 PM

On 12/20/2011 09:08 PM, stan wrote:
<>

> I think the first inappropriate post belongs to Mr. Zeitler. Putting
> his quote at the start of every message is equivalent to:
-=-

2 things that make this country so great are;

freedom of speech.

freedom of religious belief.

are you against our constitution?

granted, this is a fedora tech support list, but where do you believe
red hat would be without our constitution?

what you wrote is your belief and your right to do so, just as it is
zeitler's right to.

--

peace out.

tc.hago,