Old 12-19-2011, 08:54 PM
Robert Moskowitz

Default Graphical file search tool

Is there a file search tool similar to the Win file search?

For text-based I have used updatedb/locate. The search in Navigator
does not seem to recurse.

Old 12-19-2011, 09:09 PM
Ted Roche

On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 4:54 PM, Robert Moskowitz <rgm@htt-consult.com> wrote:
> Is there a file search tool similar to the Win file search?
>
> For text-based I have used updatedb/locate. *The search in Navigator does
> not seem to recurse.

I'm running GNOME on Fedora 14, and under the "Places" menu, there's
an option called "Search for Files..."

--
Ted Roche
Ted Roche & Associates, LLC

Old 12-19-2011, 09:14 PM
Joe Zeff

I'm running GNOME on Fedora 14, and under the "Places" menu, there's
an option called "Search for Files..."

With XFCE, it's under Accessories.

Old 12-19-2011, 09:23 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Mon, 2011-12-19 at 16:54 -0500, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> Is there a file search tool similar to the Win file search?
>
> For text-based I have used updatedb/locate. The search in Navigator
> does not seem to recurse.

gnome-document is such a tool

Old 12-19-2011, 11:17 PM
suvayu ali

On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 22:54, Robert Moskowitz <rgm@htt-consult.com> wrote:
> Is there a file search tool similar to the Win file search?

You can try recoll. It is an indexer which uses xapian as the backend.
The indexing is quite customisable, and doesn't intrude too much.

--
Suvayu

Old 12-20-2011, 12:42 AM
Marko Vojinovic

On Monday 19 December 2011 14:14:56 Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 12/19/2011 02:09 PM, Ted Roche wrote:
> > I'm running GNOME on Fedora 14, and under the "Places" menu, there's
> > an option called "Search for Files..."
>
> With XFCE, it's under Accessories.

In KDE, it is called "Find Files/Folders", in the "Applications" part of the
menu. :-)

HTH, :-)
Marko

Old 12-20-2011, 01:02 AM
Robert Moskowitz

Is there a file search tool similar to the Win file search?

For text-based I have used updatedb/locate. The search in Navigator does
not seem to recurse.

I'm running GNOME on Fedora 14, and under the "Places" menu, there's
an option called "Search for Files..."

Get ready for Gnome 3 on f16. All that is GOOOONNNNNNEEEEEE.

Or hidden somewhere that I have not found.

Old 12-20-2011, 01:53 AM
Peter Gordon

On Mon, 2011-12-19 at 21:02 -0500, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> Get ready for Gnome 3 on f16. All that is GOOOONNNNNNEEEEEE.
>
> Or hidden somewhere that I have not found.

It's definitely not gone. In Nautilus for GNOME 3.x, you can select
"Search for Files..." from the "Go" main menu; or you can simply press
Ctrl+F, if you (as I do) prefer keyboard shortcuts.

(If it matters, this is with GNOME 3.2 on Fedora 16.)

Hope that helps.
--
Peter Gordon (codergeek42) <peter@thecodergeek.com>
Who am I? :: http://thecodergeek.com/about-me

Old 12-20-2011, 02:06 AM
Marko Vojinovic

On Monday 19 December 2011 21:02:45 Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> On 12/19/2011 05:09 PM, Ted Roche wrote:
> > On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 4:54 PM, Robert Moskowitz<rgm@htt-consult.com>
wrote:
> >> Is there a file search tool similar to the Win file search?
> >>
> >> For text-based I have used updatedb/locate. The search in Navigator
> >> does not seem to recurse.
> >
> > I'm running GNOME on Fedora 14, and under the "Places" menu, there's
> > an option called "Search for Files..."
>
> Get ready for Gnome 3 on f16. All that is GOOOONNNNNNEEEEEE.
>
> Or hidden somewhere that I have not found.

Oh, now, that was too nasty of you! :-D You made me log into Gnome3 just to be
a witness of a Yet-Another-Great-Design-Decision by the Gnome3 devs... :-D

But to my great disappointment, I actually managed to find the search utility:

Activities (top-left corner) -> Applications (next to "Windows" just below the
top menu bar) -> Accessories (in the vertical list on the far right) -> Search
for Files (in the big list of the accessories, at the bottom of the screen ---
you might need to scroll down the list).

I didn't test it to see if it can recurse subdirectories, however. ;-)

Oh, and don't be dismayed by the "search" field below the top menu bar in the
top-right corner --- that's for searching the Google and Wikipedia, local
apps, local places and favorite bookmarks. IOW, for everything *except* the
files on your drive. Another ingenious masterpiece of The Great Design... ;-)

How wonderful !! :-D

HTH, :-)
Marko

Old 12-20-2011, 02:14 AM