-   -   Graphical file search tool (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/611869-graphical-file-search-tool.html)

Robert Moskowitz 12-19-2011 08:54 PM

Graphical file search tool

Is there a file search tool similar to the Win file search?

For text-based I have used updatedb/locate. The search in Navigator
does not seem to recurse.

Ted Roche 12-19-2011 09:09 PM

Graphical file search tool

On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 4:54 PM, Robert Moskowitz <rgm@htt-consult.com> wrote:
> Is there a file search tool similar to the Win file search?
>
> For text-based I have used updatedb/locate. *The search in Navigator does
> not seem to recurse.

I'm running GNOME on Fedora 14, and under the "Places" menu, there's
an option called "Search for Files..."

--
Ted Roche
Ted Roche & Associates, LLC

Joe Zeff 12-19-2011 09:14 PM

Graphical file search tool

I'm running GNOME on Fedora 14, and under the "Places" menu, there's
an option called "Search for Files..."

With XFCE, it's under Accessories.

Aaron Konstam 12-19-2011 09:23 PM

Graphical file search tool

On Mon, 2011-12-19 at 16:54 -0500, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> Is there a file search tool similar to the Win file search?
>
> For text-based I have used updatedb/locate. The search in Navigator
> does not seem to recurse.

gnome-document is such a tool

suvayu ali 12-19-2011 11:17 PM

Graphical file search tool

On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 22:54, Robert Moskowitz <rgm@htt-consult.com> wrote:
> Is there a file search tool similar to the Win file search?

You can try recoll. It is an indexer which uses xapian as the backend.
The indexing is quite customisable, and doesn't intrude too much.

--
Suvayu

Marko Vojinovic 12-20-2011 12:42 AM

Graphical file search tool

On Monday 19 December 2011 14:14:56 Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 12/19/2011 02:09 PM, Ted Roche wrote:
> > I'm running GNOME on Fedora 14, and under the "Places" menu, there's
> > an option called "Search for Files..."
>
> With XFCE, it's under Accessories.

In KDE, it is called "Find Files/Folders", in the "Applications" part of the
menu. :-)

HTH, :-)
Marko

Robert Moskowitz 12-20-2011 01:02 AM

Graphical file search tool

Is there a file search tool similar to the Win file search?

For text-based I have used updatedb/locate. The search in Navigator does
not seem to recurse.

I'm running GNOME on Fedora 14, and under the "Places" menu, there's
an option called "Search for Files..."

Get ready for Gnome 3 on f16. All that is GOOOONNNNNNEEEEEE.

Or hidden somewhere that I have not found.

Peter Gordon 12-20-2011 01:53 AM

Graphical file search tool

On Mon, 2011-12-19 at 21:02 -0500, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> Get ready for Gnome 3 on f16. All that is GOOOONNNNNNEEEEEE.
>
> Or hidden somewhere that I have not found.

It's definitely not gone. In Nautilus for GNOME 3.x, you can select
"Search for Files..." from the "Go" main menu; or you can simply press
Ctrl+F, if you (as I do) prefer keyboard shortcuts.

(If it matters, this is with GNOME 3.2 on Fedora 16.)

Hope that helps.
--
Peter Gordon (codergeek42) <peter@thecodergeek.com>
Who am I? :: http://thecodergeek.com/about-me

Marko Vojinovic 12-20-2011 02:06 AM

Graphical file search tool

On Monday 19 December 2011 21:02:45 Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> On 12/19/2011 05:09 PM, Ted Roche wrote:
> > On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 4:54 PM, Robert Moskowitz<rgm@htt-consult.com>
wrote:
> >> Is there a file search tool similar to the Win file search?
> >>
> >> For text-based I have used updatedb/locate. The search in Navigator
> >> does not seem to recurse.
> >
> > I'm running GNOME on Fedora 14, and under the "Places" menu, there's
> > an option called "Search for Files..."
>
> Get ready for Gnome 3 on f16. All that is GOOOONNNNNNEEEEEE.
>
> Or hidden somewhere that I have not found.

Oh, now, that was too nasty of you! :-D You made me log into Gnome3 just to be
a witness of a Yet-Another-Great-Design-Decision by the Gnome3 devs... :-D

But to my great disappointment, I actually managed to find the search utility:

Activities (top-left corner) -> Applications (next to "Windows" just below the
top menu bar) -> Accessories (in the vertical list on the far right) -> Search
for Files (in the big list of the accessories, at the bottom of the screen ---
you might need to scroll down the list).

I didn't test it to see if it can recurse subdirectories, however. ;-)

Oh, and don't be dismayed by the "search" field below the top menu bar in the
top-right corner --- that's for searching the Google and Wikipedia, local
apps, local places and favorite bookmarks. IOW, for everything *except* the
files on your drive. Another ingenious masterpiece of The Great Design... ;-)

How wonderful !! :-D

HTH, :-)
Marko

Marko Vojinovic 12-20-2011 02:14 AM