Old 03-27-2008, 06:12 PM

Default IP translation

*
I need a MAGIC BOX to do this

------ IP ADD 1, PORT 1 ---->** MAGIC BOX -----> IP ADD 2, PORT 2
(eg convert something like 192.168.5.191/3660 to something like 192.168.5.100/222
but this is just an example).

Can anyone suggest anything?* Preferably with a router (we have Linksys BEFSX41)
or with CentOS 4.5 (would have to be on the outgoing side).

What it actually will be used for is to run 100 or so instances of mysql on the same
machine but on different ports.* Then each instance of mysql will have its onw logical
IP address.

Old 03-27-2008, 07:33 PM
Rick Stevens

tony.chamberlain@lemko.com wrote:

I need a MAGIC BOX to do this

------ IP ADD 1, PORT 1 ----> MAGIC BOX -----> IP ADD 2, PORT 2
(eg convert something like 192.168.5.191/3660 to something like
192.168.5.100/222

but this is just an example).

Can anyone suggest anything? Preferably with a router (we have Linksys
BEFSX41)

or with CentOS 4.5 (would have to be on the outgoing side).

The IP change is called "NAT" (network address translation) and the port
change is called "port forwarding". 90% of all routers can do both. I
know your Linksys can...look at the "virtual servers" section.

What it actually will be used for is to run 100 or so instances of mysql
on the same
machine but on different ports. Then each instance of mysql will have
its onw logical

IP address.

Uh, why not set up the box with 100 aliased IPs and have each MySql
instance listen on one of the aliases via the "bind-address" option
in the various "my.cnf" files you're going to end up using? You don't
need NAT or port forwarding for that at all.
- Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer rps2@nerd.com -
- Hosting Consulting, Inc. -
- -
- Admitting you have a problem is the first step toward getting -
- medicated for it. -- Jim Evarts (http://www.TopFive.com) -

Old 03-27-2008, 08:27 PM
Bill Davidsen

tony.chamberlain@lemko.com wrote:

I need a MAGIC BOX to do this

------ IP ADD 1, PORT 1 ----> MAGIC BOX -----> IP ADD 2, PORT 2
(eg convert something like 192.168.5.191/3660 to something like
192.168.5.100/222

but this is just an example).

Can anyone suggest anything? Preferably with a router (we have Linksys
BEFSX41)

or with CentOS 4.5 (would have to be on the outgoing side).

You can do this with a trivial iptables setup, although you will want to
use some thought about the setup, use DNAT on the incoming packets. I
would worry about overhead, but if you have enough capacity to run 100
copies of MySQL, you have either tons of capacity or larger problems
than iptables overhead.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>