Old 03-27-2008, 05:59 PM
Sean Bruno

Default mount.cifs Example please?

I would humbly ask that someone, somewhere add an entry in the examples
section that acutally shows a successful command for mount.cifs ... The
man page (at least for me) didn't really tell me how to use the command
correctly. The program itself takes different argument types on
invocation than other mount.xxxx commands.

So suggestion:

EXAMPLES:

sudo mount -t cifs -o
user=administrator,password=miralink //192.168.1.31/test /mnt/ml_test/

With an explanation of what each option means.

Sean Bruno

Old 03-27-2008, 08:13 PM
Ed Greshko

Sean Bruno wrote:

I would humbly ask that someone, somewhere add an entry in the examples
section that acutally shows a successful command for mount.cifs ... The
man page (at least for me) didn't really tell me how to use the command
correctly. The program itself takes different argument types on
invocation than other mount.xxxx commands.

So suggestion:

EXAMPLES:

sudo mount -t cifs -o
user=administrator,password=miralink //192.168.1.31/test /mnt/ml_test/

With an explanation of what each option means.

What is wrong with reading "man mount.cifs"?

--
It is impossible to travel faster than light, and certainly not desirable,
as one's hat keeps blowing off.

Old 03-27-2008, 08:41 PM
Sean Bruno

On Fri, 2008-03-28 at 05:13 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
> Sean Bruno wrote:
> > I would humbly ask that someone, somewhere add an entry in the examples
> > section that acutally shows a successful command for mount.cifs ... The
> > man page (at least for me) didn't really tell me how to use the command
> > correctly. The program itself takes different argument types on
> > invocation than other mount.xxxx commands.
> >
> > So suggestion:
> >
> > EXAMPLES:
> >
> > sudo mount -t cifs -o
> > user=administrator,password=miralink //192.168.1.31/test /mnt/ml_test/
> >

> > With an explanation of what each option means.
>
> What is wrong with reading "man mount.cifs"?

Hmmm...obviously, I fail at expressing my frustration with the man page
for mount.cifs.

My point was that the man page for mount.cifs didn't lead me to a
solution if I didn't already know the syntax of mount.cifs.

A simple addition of a few examples of invocation would have saved me a
ton of time.

Sean

Old 03-27-2008, 09:50 PM
Ed Greshko

Sean Bruno wrote:

[...]

I see. Well, if the maintainer of the man page reads this list he may add
to it. Then again, he may wonder why doing a google on "mount cifs
examples" wouldn't have also helped.

--
The more control, the more that requires control.

Old 03-27-2008, 10:01 PM
Sean Bruno

On Fri, 2008-03-28 at 06:50 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
> Sean Bruno wrote:

> >> What is wrong with reading "man mount.cifs"?
> >
> > Hmmm...obviously, I fail at expressing my frustration with the man page
> > for mount.cifs.
> >
> > My point was that the man page for mount.cifs didn't lead me to a
> > solution if I didn't already know the syntax of mount.cifs.
> >
> > A simple addition of a few examples of invocation would have saved me a
> > ton of time.
>
> I see. Well, if the maintainer of the man page reads this list he may add
> to it. Then again, he may wonder why doing a google on "mount cifs
> examples" wouldn't have also helped.

The google search you suggest is exactly what I did to find my answer.
I don't really think that is my point, but I do understand that I did
find my answer so, "What am I complaining about?"

IMO, something like what I am suggesting is exactly the purpose of a man
page. Namely, its a reference for folks to remind them of the syntax
and options of a command.

Is what I am proposing just a bit too specific for a man page EXAMPLES
section? If so, I'm willing to just drop it.

Sean

Old 03-27-2008, 10:08 PM
Ed Greshko

Sean Bruno wrote:

[...]

I think it is a fine idea to contact the man page maintainer and make the
suggestion/request. Just want to make sure that you know he may not be
reading this list. Also, cause I've been there done that, you need to be
prepared for the maintainer contending that this:

mount.cifs {service} {mount-point} [-ooptions]

in the man page is sufficient and a google would return more examples than
he could supply in the man page anyway. Maintainers can have their own
ideas and can be a bit stubborn at times. :-)

Old 03-27-2008, 10:09 PM
Tom Horsley

On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 16:01:28 -0700
Sean Bruno <sean.bruno@dsl-only.net> wrote:

> The google search you suggest is exactly what I did to find my answer.
> I don't really think that is my point, but I do understand that I did
> find my answer so, "What am I complaining about?"

Always remember: Without google, linux itself would be impossible :-)

Back on cifs mounts, I discovered that the man page claims // or
works equally well for share names, but in fact I couldn't get it
to work at all with //. The script I use at work to mount windows
shares on my linux box has this line:

mount -t cifs -o credentials=/dev/fd/4 -o domain=iccur -o ro -o uid=$unix_me -o gid=$unix_me \intranetpublic /intranet/public

Lots of escaped backslashes to wind up with the right number for whoever
cares down inside the cifs mount code.

Old 03-27-2008, 10:17 PM
Rick Stevens

Sean Bruno wrote:
[...]

The form of the verb varies with the subject, Ed.

"I am firm. You are stubborn. He is pig-headed."

:-)

Old 03-27-2008, 10:19 PM
Mike Cronenworth

The google search you suggest is exactly what I did to find my answer.
I don't really think that is my point, but I do understand that I did
find my answer so, "What am I complaining about?"

Always remember: Without google, linux itself would be impossible :-)

Back on cifs mounts, I discovered that the man page claims // or
works equally well for share names, but in fact I couldn't get it
to work at all with //. The script I use at work to mount windows
shares on my linux box has this line:

mount -t cifs -o credentials=/dev/fd/4 -o domain=iccur -o ro -o uid=$unix_me -o gid=$unix_me \intranetpublic /intranet/public

Lots of escaped backslashes to wind up with the right number for whoever
cares down inside the cifs mount code.

Remember, the kernel cannot do SMB name lookups. It uses DNS. Unless you
have the computer "alpha" setup in your DNS server, the mount command
won't find it with alpha.

I setup DHCP with DNS updates so my computer names sync with DNS, and
those type of commands will work all the time.

Old 03-27-2008, 10:31 PM
Ed Greshko

Rick Stevens wrote:

in the man page is sufficient and a google would return more examples
than he could supply in the man page anyway. Maintainers can have
their own ideas and can be a bit stubborn at times. :-)

The form of the verb varies with the subject, Ed.

"I am firm. You are stubborn. He is pig-headed."

Good point. I'd forgotten my Latin. :-)