-   -   Recovering Journal - How Long? (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/611363-recovering-journal-how-long.html)

Craig White 12-18-2011 03:09 AM

Recovering Journal - How Long?

On Sun, 2011-12-18 at 11:17 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
> OK, got an F15 system that went a bit bonkers. Things were pretty much
> hung. So, forced a reboot and the fun begins....
>
> The boot process appeared hung with the disk activity light on solid.
> Booted to rescue mode.
>
> On one disk is /boot as well as vg_root. The second disk has vg_home.
> /boot fsck'd OK and I was able to activate and fsck vg_home.
>
> vg_root contains a swap partition as well as / which lvscan shows is 224GB.
>
> fsck /dev/vg_root/LogVol01 has resulted a line displaying
>
> /dev/mapper/vg_root-LogVol01: recovering journal
>
> and the disk activity light is on "solid". I don't believe there to be
> a HW problem since /boot is on the same disk and checks OK. So, the
> question is how long should this take? Anyway to see if anything is
> actually happening/working?
>
> Any other suggestions to getting / recovered?
----
no suggestions on getting / recovered but with rescue mode, you should
be able to <Control><Alt><F3> (or is it F4) and see kernel messages -
sort of like /var/log/messages. Sometimes this is useful when patience
is lagging.

Craig

believed to be clean.

Ed Greshko 12-18-2011 03:33 AM

Craig White wrote:
> On Sun, 2011-12-18 at 11:17 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
>
>> OK, got an F15 system that went a bit bonkers. Things were pretty much
>> hung. So, forced a reboot and the fun begins....
>>
>> The boot process appeared hung with the disk activity light on solid.
>> Booted to rescue mode.
>>
>> On one disk is /boot as well as vg_root. The second disk has vg_home.
>> /boot fsck'd OK and I was able to activate and fsck vg_home.
>>
>> vg_root contains a swap partition as well as / which lvscan shows is 224GB.
>>
>> fsck /dev/vg_root/LogVol01 has resulted a line displaying
>>
>> /dev/mapper/vg_root-LogVol01: recovering journal
>>
>> and the disk activity light is on "solid". I don't believe there to be
>> a HW problem since /boot is on the same disk and checks OK. So, the
>> question is how long should this take? Anyway to see if anything is
>> actually happening/working?
>>
>> Any other suggestions to getting / recovered?
>>
> ----
> no suggestions on getting / recovered but with rescue mode, you should
> be able to <Control><Alt><F3> (or is it F4) and see kernel messages -
> sort of like /var/log/messages. Sometimes this is useful when patience
> is lagging.

Well, it is F4. Nothing being outputted.... :-(

top does show fsck.ext4 "running". Without fsck running it shows 99%
idle and 0%wait. Running it does show a wait of 25% most of the
time....so maybe it is doing something. I guess I'll let it go for a
few hours before taking more drastic and maybe irrecoverable action.
Like removing the has_journal flag.

Thanks.....

--
sillema sillema nika su

Ed Greshko 12-18-2011 04:08 AM

Ed Greshko wrote:

> Well, it is F4. Nothing being outputted.... :-(
>
> top does show fsck.ext4 "running". Without fsck running it shows 99%
> idle and 0%wait. Running it does show a wait of 25% most of the
> time....so maybe it is doing something. I guess I'll let it go for a
> few hours before taking more drastic and maybe irrecoverable action.
> Like removing the has_journal flag.
>
> Thanks....

Well, maybe RESOLVED isn't the right word. The disk has just now
totally died. lvscan fails totally on that drive. :-(

Oh, well.... Time to move to F16. :-) or is it :-(?

--
I wish there was a knob on the TV to turn up the intelligence. There's a
knob called "brightness", but it doesn't seem to work. -- Gallagher

"Linda McLeod" 12-18-2011 06:33 PM

Recovering Journal - How Long?

Way back in my Ubuntu days, after a gruelling "window's winter in hell",
there was a Linux program that would show you the junk that's on the
hd...
After the lengthy scan, one can click-open several found stale deleted
files... If you can open it in bits, you can probably copy it...

From what I've experienced, I figure the only way to properly prep a hd
for a new install, is to "DBAN Autonuke" the hd.. (Caution to not leave
any game or flash drives in the box)... Then unplug the tower and
net-cable, and pull the battery for about 5 minutes... That should
clean-out all the sticky monkey-poo...

Is there an accessory, "view inside a partition"..?

"Linda McLeod" 12-18-2011 07:14 PM

Recovering Journal - How Long?

If hd is toast.. it can't hurt to tap it hard a few times, in the right
ways...

You can lightly tap it while it's trying to boot..?

Off the top.. Why not install the hd upside-down, and try it..?

Or freeze it with freeze spray, but not so much so as to cause snow and
ice to form on cct brds..?

Recite a hard-drive repair-prayer to one of your pretend gods..?

If pops were still alive he'd probably suggest, "do a dance on one foot,
whilst holding the other foot high, in the right hand, whilst singing
frarajoka backwards in tenor".. but you can't ever believe anything
pops said...

Off the top, Why not open the box, and check that all wire connectors
are properly mated..?

Last idea says the hd has developed bad sectors..
Me thinks there's software to rewrite onto good sectors what's on bad
ones..?

or over the web

Joe Zeff 12-18-2011 07:24 PM

On 12/18/2011 12:14 PM, Linda McLeod wrote:

Recite a hard-drive repair-prayer to one of your pretend gods..?

Or, for that matter, a prayer to a real god might work. Unless, of
course, you pick one who doesn't do major favors for J. Random Believer
because he/she/it expects you to solve your own problems instead of
expecting divine intervention to make your life easy.

Ed Greshko 12-18-2011 07:37 PM

On 12/19/2011 04:14 AM, Linda McLeod wrote:
> If hd is toast.. it can't hurt to tap it hard a few times, in the right
> ways...
>
> You can lightly tap it while it's trying to boot..?
>
> Off the top.. Why not install the hd upside-down, and try it..?
>
> Or freeze it with freeze spray, but not so much so as to cause snow and
> ice to form on cct brds..?
>
> Recite a hard-drive repair-prayer to one of your pretend gods..?
>
> If pops were still alive he'd probably suggest, "do a dance on one foot,
> whilst holding the other foot high, in the right hand, whilst singing
> frarajoka backwards in tenor".. but you can't ever believe anything
> pops said...
>
> Off the top, Why not open the box, and check that all wire connectors
> are properly mated..?
>
> Last idea says the hd has developed bad sectors..
> Me thinks there's software to rewrite onto good sectors what's on bad
> ones..?

Thanks for all your suggestions. I've been in computer hardware since
1974 and indeed, tried much of what you suggested.

As for singing frarajoka backwards, our ceremony usually included
swinging a dead chicken. But, seriously , we did have a few dedications
during installations involving dead pigs.

If it were only a single sector, or a group of sectors, that would have
been nice. I guess the good news is that the 5 year warranty was still
valid. But, it had to be sent to the manufacture for a replacement and
that will take a few days. Didn't want to wait....but at least I'll
have a spare.

fools. -- Douglas Adams in "Mostly Harmless

Ed Greshko 12-18-2011 07:41 PM

On 12/19/2011 03:33 AM, Linda McLeod wrote:
> From what I've experienced, I figure the only way to properly prep a hd
> for a new install, is to "DBAN Autonuke" the hd.. (Caution to not leave
> any game or flash drives in the box)... Then unplug the tower and
> net-cable, and pull the battery for about 5 minutes... That should
> clean-out all the sticky monkey-poo...

I've never had any issues remotely resembling "S.M-P".

> Is there an accessory, "view inside a partition"..?

The drive was completely fried....unable to read a single bit.

fools. -- Douglas Adams in "Mostly Harmless

Joe Zeff 12-18-2011 08:02 PM

On 12/18/2011 12:37 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:

As for singing frarajoka backwards, our ceremony usually included
swinging a dead chicken.

People wonder why we wave dead chickens over equipment when it doesn't
work. My explanation is that we do it because once in a great while, it
works, and it doesn't do any harm when it doesn't.

Considering your experience, I'm sure you're aware that getting a SCSI
chain to work needed three terminations: one at each end, and the goat
you sacrificed to get the thing up and running. And always use *black*
candles.

"Daniel B. Thurman" 12-18-2011 09:45 PM

On 12/18/2011 01:02 PM, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 12/18/2011 12:37 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:
>> As for singing frarajoka backwards, our ceremony usually included
>> swinging a dead chicken.
>
> People wonder why we wave dead chickens over equipment when it doesn't
> work. My explanation is that we do it because once in a great while,
> it works, and it doesn't do any harm when it doesn't.
>
> Considering your experience, I'm sure you're aware that getting a SCSI
> chain to work needed three terminations: one at each end, and the goat
> you sacrificed to get the thing up and running. And always use
> *black* candles.
I have never tried it, I but heard it through the
grapevine that if one can get a chicken do a
shaman dance on top of your 5+ yr old drive,
all drive sectors are miraculously renewed?

If this does not work, take the drive to Stonehenge
and place the drive in the centre, so that the chicken
can induce the proper resonance frequency in order
to breathe new life into the drive?

If this does not work, take the drive to the pope and
ask that he bless the drive with smoke on the (holy)
water or to exorcise the devil out.

The key here is, dead chickens/popes cannot breathe
life into the drive because it (chicken/pope) is dead,
but don't take my word for it, do your own homework
and at your own risk.

If the drive is still under warantee, the Wizard of Oz
drive manufacturer will ship you a refurbished drive,
fully restored by chicken, Stonehenge, and/or pope
and can save you time and money in the long run.

Standard disclaimers apply...

Hope this helps...