Old 03-27-2008, 03:15 PM
Gerhard Magnus

Default sharing NFS directory with multiple boxes

With help from this list, I've installed NFS and opened the appropriate
ports on the server. I can mount the shared directory on more than one
machine as long as I use this mount command on each one:
mount -t nfs 192.168.1.14:/home/magnusg/music /mnt/music

I'd like to make this mount automatic whenever the client machines boot.
But when I add this line to the /etc/fstab files on each machine:
192.168.1.14:/home/magnusg/music /mnt/music nfs rw,hard,intr,bg 0 0

I find only one of the clients can access the shared directory.
Do I have this fstab file line coded incorrectly?
Also, what and where are the NFS log files in case there are some
interesting error messages?

Thanks for the help! --Jerry

Old 03-27-2008, 04:19 PM
Roger Heflin

Gerhard Magnus wrote:

With help from this list, I've installed NFS and opened the appropriate
ports on the server. I can mount the shared directory on more than one
machine as long as I use this mount command on each one:
mount -t nfs 192.168.1.14:/home/magnusg/music /mnt/music

I'd like to make this mount automatic whenever the client machines boot.
But when I add this line to the /etc/fstab files on each machine:
192.168.1.14:/home/magnusg/music /mnt/music nfs rw,hard,intr,bg 0 0

Add "defaults" or "auto" to the options.

You can test the fstab option with:

mount -a -t nfs

I find only one of the clients can access the shared directory.
Do I have this fstab file line coded incorrectly?
Also, what and where are the NFS log files in case there are some
interesting error messages?

/var/log/messages on both the client and server.

Thanks for the help! --Jerry