FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 03-27-2008, 01:53 PM
Timothy Murphy
 
Default Confessions of a secret NM user

Mea culpa.

Having attacked NM (NetworkManager) unmercifully in the past,
I now find myself completely at his (her?) mercy,
as he/she is the only way of connecting one of my current laptop
(with WiFi) to the real world.

For some reason, system-config-network has been getting steadily worse
over the last few months, and now does not work at all.
(At its best it worked about 65% of the time.)

Is anyone successfully using the network service + system-config-network
with Fedora-8 (updated)?

To be more precise, has anyone found themselves NOT connected with WiFi,
and found the problem solved by running system-config-network?

Sorry, John Linville.
Sorry, NM.

Mea maxima culpa.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail (<80k only): tim /at/ birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366
s-mail: School of Mathematics, Trinity College, Dublin 2, Ireland

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 03-27-2008, 02:14 PM
Rick Stevens
 
Default Confessions of a secret NM user

Timothy Murphy wrote:

Mea culpa.

Having attacked NM (NetworkManager) unmercifully in the past,
I now find myself completely at his (her?) mercy,
as he/she is the only way of connecting one of my current laptop
(with WiFi) to the real world.

For some reason, system-config-network has been getting steadily worse
over the last few months, and now does not work at all.
(At its best it worked about 65% of the time.)

Is anyone successfully using the network service + system-config-network
with Fedora-8 (updated)?

To be more precise, has anyone found themselves NOT connected with WiFi,
and found the problem solved by running system-config-network?


Yes. Easily 95% of my systems are hard-wired and use system-config-
network (well, make that "service network start"). They're all using
fixed IPs, though.

I've only used NM/NMD on very rare occasions. Even my laptop on wifi
with WPA nodes and DHCP uses the regular stuff. I did have to sort out
wpa_supplicant and dhclient things, but that wasn't hard to do.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
- Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer rps2@nerd.com -
- Hosting Consulting, Inc. -
- -
- If at first you don't succeed, quit. No sense being a damned fool! -
----------------------------------------------------------------------

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 03-27-2008, 04:02 PM
"Mark C. Allman"
 
Default Confessions of a secret NM user

...... Original Message .......
On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 08:14:58 -0700 "Rick Stevens" <ricks@nerd.com> wrote:
>Timothy Murphy wrote:
>> Mea culpa.
>>
>> Having attacked NM (NetworkManager) unmercifully in the past,
>> I now find myself completely at his (her?) mercy,
>> as he/she is the only way of connecting one of my current laptop
>> (with WiFi) to the real world.
>>
>> For some reason, system-config-network has been getting steadily worse
>> over the last few months, and now does not work at all.
>> (At its best it worked about 65% of the time.)
>>
>> Is anyone successfully using the network service + system-config-network
>> with Fedora-8 (updated)?
>>
>> To be more precise, has anyone found themselves NOT connected with WiFi,
>> and found the problem solved by running system-config-network?
>
>Yes. Easily 95% of my systems are hard-wired and use system-config-
>network (well, make that "service network start"). They're all using
>fixed IPs, though.
>
>I've only used NM/NMD on very rare occasions. Even my laptop on wifi
>with WPA nodes and DHCP uses the regular stuff. I did have to sort out
>wpa_supplicant and dhclient things, but that wasn't hard to do.
>----------------------------------------------------------------------
>- Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer rps2@nerd.com -
>- Hosting Consulting, Inc. -
>- -
>- If at first you don't succeed, quit. No sense being a damned fool! -
>----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>--
>fedora-list mailing list
>fedora-list@redhat.com
>To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list

What I've found for the past month or so is that for my laptop (Dell XPS
1710, Intel 3945 wireless) when I resume from hibernation I must restart
wpa_supplicant before I can bring up a wireless connection:
service wpa_supplicant restart
ifup eth1

I don't have it up but it's F8 and the kernel I'm running is something
like 2.6.23.137. Hibernate doesnlt quite work in the 2.6.24.?? kernels.

NetworkManager hasn't worked for managing the wireless in quite a while. I
haven't had time to rip into it to figure out why (wish I did!).

-- Mark C. Allman, PMP
-- Allman Professional Consulting, Inc.
-- www.allmanpc.com, 617-947-4263
-- (From my Treo 700p)

BusinessMsg - the secure, managed, 100% J2EE/AJAX Enterprise IM/IC solution

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 03-27-2008, 04:17 PM
"max bianco"
 
Default Confessions of a secret NM user

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 1:02 PM, Mark C. Allman <mcallman@allmanpc.com> wrote:







...... Original Message .......

On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 08:14:58 -0700 "Rick Stevens" <ricks@nerd.com> wrote:

>Timothy Murphy wrote:

>> Mea culpa.

>>

>> Having attacked NM (NetworkManager) unmercifully in the past,

>> I now find myself completely at his (her?) mercy,

>> as he/she is the only way of connecting one of my current laptop

>> (with WiFi) to the real world.

>>

>> For some reason, system-config-network has been getting steadily worse

>> over the last few months, and now does not work at all.

>> (At its best it worked about 65% of the time.)

>>

>> Is anyone successfully using the network service + system-config-network

>> with Fedora-8 (updated)?

>>

>> To be more precise, has anyone found themselves NOT connected with WiFi,

>> and found the problem solved by running system-config-network?

>

>Yes. *Easily 95% of my systems are hard-wired and use system-config-

>network (well, make that "service network start"). *They're all using

>fixed IPs, though.

>

>I've only used NM/NMD on very rare occasions. *Even my laptop on wifi

>with WPA nodes and DHCP uses the regular stuff. *I did have to sort out

>wpa_supplicant and dhclient things, but that wasn't hard to do.

>----------------------------------------------------------------------

>- Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer * * * * * * * * * * * rps2@nerd.com -

>- Hosting Consulting, Inc. * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * -

>- * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *-

>- If at first you don't succeed, quit. No sense being a damned fool! -

>----------------------------------------------------------------------

>

>--

>fedora-list mailing list

>fedora-list@redhat.com

>To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list



What I've found for the past month or so is that for my laptop (Dell XPS

1710, Intel 3945 wireless) when I resume from hibernation I must restart

wpa_supplicant before I can bring up a wireless connection:

* * * *service wpa_supplicant restart

* * * *ifup eth1



*I don't have it up but it's F8 and the kernel I'm running is something

like 2.6.23.137. *Hibernate doesnlt quite work in the 2.6.24.?? kernels.



NetworkManager hasn't worked for managing the wireless in quite a while. *I

haven't had time to rip into it to figure out why (wish I did!).



-- Mark C. Allman, PMP

-- Allman Professional Consulting, Inc.

-- www.allmanpc.com, 617-947-4263

-- (From my Treo 700p)


I am using NM on a newer dell vostro with intel wireless 3945 and it has worked flawlessly for the few weeks its been running. I haven't used or tried to use anything but NM.

Max



--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 03-30-2008, 05:20 PM
Timothy Murphy
 
Default Confessions of a secret NM user

Rick Stevens wrote:

>> Is anyone successfully using the network service + system-config-network
>> with Fedora-8 (updated)?
>>
>> To be more precise, has anyone found themselves NOT connected with WiFi,
>> and found the problem solved by running system-config-network?
>
> Yes. Easily 95% of my systems are hard-wired and use system-config-
> network (well, make that "service network start"). They're all using
> fixed IPs, though.

I don't think "service network restart" and "system-config-network"
are by any means equivalent.
In my experience, one may well work when the other doesn't.
It's a complete gamble, in my experience.




--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 03-30-2008, 09:43 PM
Aaron Konstam
 
Default Confessions of a secret NM user

On Sun, 2008-03-30 at 18:20 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Rick Stevens wrote:
>
> >> Is anyone successfully using the network service + system-config-network
> >> with Fedora-8 (updated)?
> >>
> >> To be more precise, has anyone found themselves NOT connected with WiFi,
> >> and found the problem solved by running system-config-network?
> >
> > Yes. Easily 95% of my systems are hard-wired and use system-config-
> > network (well, make that "service network start"). They're all using
> > fixed IPs, though.
>
> I don't think "service network restart" and "system-config-network"
> are by any means equivalent.
> In my experience, one may well work when the other doesn't.
> It's a complete gamble, in my experience.
>
These two things are somewhat unrelated. service network restart
starts the network service which in general should not be running if is
NM is running.

system-config-network is a program to configure network files and
activate them.


--
================================================== =====================
Get in touch with your feelings of hostility against the dying light. --
Dylan Thomas [paraphrased periphrastically]
================================================== =====================
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam@sbcglobal.net

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:10 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org