Old 12-12-2011, 04:54 AM
Paul Allen Newell

Default fedora equivalent of recovery disk

I have been following the "fedora causes laptop to overheat" as my HP
dv6500 is showing signs of malfunctioning, potentially an overheating
issue. Display flickers, part of it get dim, and then it goes black.
Computer is still up and running as I can ssh into it.

I've looked into the BIOS options to see if there is any diagnostic info
I can get and nothing there. I was hoping that someone on the
overheating thread might mention a way to validate if the fan is working.

I'm resigned to a repair job, but that means I have to strip off Fedora
and put the original Vista back on (ick) if I want anyone to take a look
at it. Pain in the you-know-what, but it a good machine and my only x86_64.

Before I consider actually doing it, I wanted to ask if there is the
equivalent of "a recovery disk" that I can create with k3b so, assuming
the problem is fixable, I can reinstall without having to go back to the
original install disk (and then go through all the customizations and
additional downloads). I've look on the Fedora docs (installation_guide)
and didn't see anything. I am presuming that this is something that
exists and I just haven't been able to google the right thing (or I've
googled and not seen it as the right thing).

Thanks in advance,
Paul

Old 12-12-2011, 05:18 AM

On 12/12/2011 05:54 AM, Paul Allen Newell wrote:
<>

> Before I consider actually doing it, I wanted to ask if there is the
> equivalent of "a recovery disk" that I can create with k3b so,
-=-

not a 'recovery disk', but i will suggest getting 'parted magic';

http://partedmagic.com/doku.php

which has clonezilla;

http://clonezilla.org/

and can be used to clone your current system for reinstalling.

plus, you get a good partitioning package that can be booted from a
usb 'memory stick' which will have to add what ever you wish.

hth.
--

peace out.

tc.hago,

.

*please reply "plain text" only. "html text" are deleted*

****
**
**
**
So I installed Linux.
**
learn linux:
'HowtoForge' http://howtoforge.com/
****

Old 12-12-2011, 05:23 AM
Paul Allen Newell

On 12/11/2011 10:18 PM, g wrote:
> On 12/12/2011 05:54 AM, Paul Allen Newell wrote:
> <>
>
>> Before I consider actually doing it, I wanted to ask if there is the
>> equivalent of "a recovery disk" that I can create with k3b so,
> -=-
>
> not a 'recovery disk', but i will suggest getting 'parted magic';
>
> http://partedmagic.com/doku.php
>
> which has clonezilla;
>
> http://clonezilla.org/
>
> and can be used to clone your current system for reinstalling.
>
> plus, you get a good partitioning package that can be booted from a
> usb 'memory stick' which will have to add what ever you wish.
>

> hth.
G:

Thanks for the suggsetion, I will look into it.

Paul

Old 12-12-2011, 05:24 AM

*oops*

On 12/12/2011 06:18 AM, g wrote:
> On 12/12/2011 05:54 AM, Paul Allen Newell wrote:
> <>
>
>> Before I consider actually doing it, I wanted to ask if there is the
>> equivalent of "a recovery disk" that I can create with k3b so,
> -=-
>
> not a 'recovery disk', but i will suggest getting 'parted magic';
>
> http://partedmagic.com/doku.php
>
> which has clonezilla;
>
> http://clonezilla.org/
>
> and can be used to clone your current system for reinstalling.
>
> plus, you get a good partitioning package that can be booted from a
> usb 'memory stick' which will have to add what ever you wish.
-=- /|
insert word 'room'.

--

peace out.

tc.hago,

.

Old 12-12-2011, 05:25 AM
jarmo

sunnuntai, 11. joulukuuta 2011 21:54:28 Paul Allen Newell kirjoitti:
> I have been following the "fedora causes laptop to overheat" as my HP
> dv6500 is showing signs of malfunctioning, potentially an overheating

I think, this is not Fedora issue. It is computer. I hve dv9000 series
and it is commonly known bad soldering of graphic card. I bet you
have there nvidia. HP and nviia dos not take any responsibility
for that. Jus google and you see mass of similar. This is mostly
for 6000 ad 9000 series problem

Jarmo

Old 12-12-2011, 05:27 AM
Paul Allen Newell

On 12/11/2011 10:24 PM, g wrote:
> *oops*

Appreciate the catch on the typo

Old 12-12-2011, 05:29 AM

On 12/12/2011 06:27 AM, Paul Allen Newell wrote:
> On 12/11/2011 10:24 PM, g wrote:
>> *oops*
>>

> Appreciate the catch on the typo

lol.

welcome.

--

peace out.

tc.hago,

.

Old 12-12-2011, 05:36 AM
Paul Allen Newell

On 12/11/2011 10:25 PM, jarmo wrote:
> sunnuntai, 11. joulukuuta 2011 21:54:28 Paul Allen Newell kirjoitti:
>> I have been following the "fedora causes laptop to overheat" as my HP
>> dv6500 is showing signs of malfunctioning, potentially an overheating
> I think, this is not Fedora issue. It is computer. I hve dv9000 series
> and it is commonly known bad soldering of graphic card. I bet you
> have there nvidia. HP and nviia dos not take any responsibility
> for that. Jus google and you see mass of similar. This is mostly
> for 6000 ad 9000 series problem
>
> Jarmo

Jarmo:

The computer was originally my niece's and she got the bright idea that
if the computer "got hurt" while under warranty, she'd get a new one.
Best Buy didn't give her a new one, but managed to fix it to the point
where I think everything except the Windows Vista serial number was
replaced. She somehow or another scored another computer and I inherited
the rebuild model (which is fair since I bought it for her when she
turned 18).

I know it is a new graphics display and the associated connections to
the box. So I can't rely on historical issues with HP as who knows what
is in it. It may be HP parts, but the assembly is from Best Buy. And it
is so out of warranty that I couldn't claim defect as it survived the
warranty and Best Buy's extended warranty including a very bad night for
the computer at the hands of my niece and roommates.

That being said, I am going to google the info you provided to see if it
gives me any additional info.

Thanks for the reply,
Paul

Old 12-12-2011, 05:38 AM

On 12/12/2011 06:25 AM, jarmo wrote:
> sunnuntai, 11. joulukuuta 2011 21:54:28 Paul Allen Newell kirjoitti:
>> I have been following the "fedora causes laptop to overheat" as my HP
>> dv6500 is showing signs of malfunctioning, potentially an overheating
>
> I think, this is not Fedora issue. It is computer. I hve dv9000 series
> and it is commonly known bad soldering of graphic card. I bet you
> have there nvidia. HP and nviia dos not take any responsibility
> for that. Jus google and you see mass of similar. This is mostly
> for 6000 ad 9000 series problem

even with probability that fedora is not cause of problem, op, paul
would be better off he he does not give cause for any possibility of
any warranty being voided by his removing fedora and reinstalling oos.

--

peace out.

tc.hago,

.

Old 12-12-2011, 07:13 AM
Emilio Lopez

> Before I consider actually doing it, I wanted to ask if there is the
> equivalent of "a recovery disk" that I can create with k3b so, assuming
> the problem is fixable, I can reinstall without having to go back to the
> original install disk (and then go through all the customizations and
> additional downloads). I've look on the Fedora docs (installation_guide)
> and didn't see anything. I am presuming that this is something that
> exists and I just haven't been able to google the right thing (or I've
> googled and not seen it as the right thing).

I suggest making a image of the hard drive with dd command and store
it in a usb drive. You should use a liveCD to do this.

Emilio.