FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 12-13-2011, 05:26 PM
Michael Hennebry
 
Default fedora equivalent of recovery disk

On Mon, 12 Dec 2011, g wrote:


i am familiar with the dd options of -skip and -seek. just not familiar
with proper way to use dd with cdrecord.

can someone elaborate?


cdrecord can read from a pipe.
The data does not have to be a *.iso file.
dd can get the data back by reading the raw device.

I've burned CDs by cp-ing to the raw device,
but filtering the data through a burner program is probably more reliable.
IIRC I read it back with tar.
Instead of running as root, I changed permissions on the raw device.

OP's simplest solution is probably to use cp
from the raw source disk to a target raw disk.
If reliability is an issue, he can make two copies.
Probably the target could also be a raw USB stick.
Copying entire disks can take a while.

Using a file for a target risks running into file system limitations.
The one that comes to mind is file size limits.

Regardless of how its done,
a cloned drive has the same UUID and partition labels as the original.

--
Michael hennebry@web.cs.ndsu.NoDak.edu
"On Monday, I'm gonna have to tell my kindergarten class,
whom I teach not to run with scissors,
that my fiance ran me through with a broadsword." -- Lily
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 12-13-2011, 11:09 PM
Paul Allen Newell
 
Default fedora equivalent of recovery disk

On 12/13/2011 9:27 AM, g wrote:


back to the begining. thread has gotten so long, this is easier than
finding my post that i know caused you more confusion.


in that post, i stated to install 'partedmagic' on a usb stick;

http://partedmagic.com/doku.php?id=creating_the_liveusb

and add 'g4l' by pulling files, or as a second boot. *not needed*.


my bad. to correct, 'partedmagic' has both 'clonezilla' and 'g4l' on
it so there is no need to install it a second time.

as i recall posting;

http://partedmagic.com/doku.php

in 'programs' page;

http://partedmagic.com/doku.php?id=programs

shows 'clonezilla';

http://clonezilla.org/

listed, but does not list 'g4l';

http://sourceforge.net/projects/g4l/

it is there, because when i rebooted after my last email to thread last
night, i booted 'partedmagic' again to have another look.

i brought up both 'clonezilla' and 'g4l' and both are very straight
forward in their menus and you should have no problem using either.

understand, i do not claim to be an 'it specialist', such titles where
not know in 70's when i started learning about micro computer systems on
s100 buss.

because micro computers and 'it' were not being taught, i had to order
manuals from manufacturers to learn about the cpu's and assembler language.

so, because i am a lowly micro computer technician, self claimed title,
who builds, services, maintains personal computers, and who design, builds,
services, maintains micro cpu controllers, i will recommend getting a usb
memory stick, install 'partedmagic' on a partition of it, boot it and
decide for yourself which is easier, then use second partition of usb
stick to back your linux system up.

after you get your laptop serviced, reinstall fedora linux from usb stick.

if you want to free up usb stick, use fedora to back 'partedmagic' off usb
stick to a cd. this way you have usb stick for what ever use you want. if
needed, you can reinstall later to usb stick.


again, my apoligies for confusion. due to pain i was having, i took 2
500 mg hydrocodone tabs and i will contribute that to my further confusing
next to last post last nigh.

i am now off to doctor's office. will check email when i return to see if
you have made any progress.


much luck.



G:

Sorry to hear about the need for hydrocodone and understand they may
have contributed to some of my confusion ... hope you get better.


I've got alot of good info and at least two options. Right now, I need
to get the stick et al to do the work. That may take a couple days as I
am in process of dealing with roof damage from those high winds in SoCal
(my roof could use some of your pills)


My estimate is that I will have materials in a day or two and then
another day or two to finish up checking out all the suggestions I've
got. I am estimating that I'll test one or both over the weekend.


So assume that I've got enough info and just need to actually drive one
of them. The forthcoming null in getting back to the list with
"[SOLVED:]" (I hope) is not for lack of interest or not caring about
about the help I've gotten. Its just that there is life outside of
computers, though I'll take fretting over my laptop to roofing contractors.


Thanks to you and everyone else who helped,
Paul

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 12-14-2011, 12:31 AM
g
 
Default fedora equivalent of recovery disk

On 12/14/2011 12:09 AM, Paul Allen Newell wrote:
> On 12/13/2011 9:27 AM, g wrote:
>> back to the begining. thread has gotten so long, this is easier than
>> finding my post that i know caused you more confusion.
>>
>>
>> in that post, i stated to install 'partedmagic' on a usb stick;
>>
>> http://partedmagic.com/doku.php?id=creating_the_liveusb
>>
>> and add 'g4l' by pulling files, or as a second boot. *not needed*.
>>
>>
>> my bad. to correct, 'partedmagic' has both 'clonezilla' and 'g4l' on
>> it so there is no need to install it a second time.
>>
>> as i recall posting;
>>
>> http://partedmagic.com/doku.php
>>
>> in 'programs' page;
>>
>> http://partedmagic.com/doku.php?id=programs
>>
>> shows 'clonezilla';
>>
>> http://clonezilla.org/
>>
>> listed, but does not list 'g4l';
>>
>> http://sourceforge.net/projects/g4l/
>>
>> it is there, because when i rebooted after my last email to thread last
>> night, i booted 'partedmagic' again to have another look.
>>
>> i brought up both 'clonezilla' and 'g4l' and both are very straight
>> forward in their menus and you should have no problem using either.
>>
>> understand, i do not claim to be an 'it specialist', such titles where
>> not know in 70's when i started learning about micro computer systems on
>> s100 buss.
>>
>> because micro computers and 'it' were not being taught, i had to order
>> manuals from manufacturers to learn about the cpu's and assembler language.
>>
>> so, because i am a lowly micro computer technician, self claimed title,
>> who builds, services, maintains personal computers, and who design, builds,
>> services, maintains micro cpu controllers, i will recommend getting a usb
>> memory stick, install 'partedmagic' on a partition of it, boot it and
>> decide for yourself which is easier, then use second partition of usb
>> stick to back your linux system up.
>>
>> after you get your laptop serviced, reinstall fedora linux from usb stick.
>>
>> if you want to free up usb stick, use fedora to back 'partedmagic' off usb
>> stick to a cd. this way you have usb stick for what ever use you want. if
>> needed, you can reinstall later to usb stick.
>>
>>
>> again, my apoligies for confusion. due to pain i was having, i took 2
>> 500 mg hydrocodone tabs and i will contribute that to my further confusing
>> next to last post last nigh.
>>
>> i am now off to doctor's office. will check email when i return to see if
>> you have made any progress.
>>
>>
>> much luck.
>>
>


> G:
>
> Sorry to hear about the need for hydrocodone and understand they may
> have contributed to some of my confusion
-=-

thank you.

my first time with hydrocodone and will not double up again. but it
was nice. %-)

> hope you get better.
-=-

time heals all wounds. just do not ask how i got this one. :-)
i will say i will never do it again.

> I've got alot of good info and at least two options. Right now, I need
> to get the stick et al to do the work.
-=-

with you giving it thought, i am sure you will end up with what is best
and easiest for you.

> That may take a couple days as I am in process of dealing with roof damage
> from those high winds in SoCal (my roof could use some of your pills)
>
> My estimate is that I will have materials in a day or two
-=-

from what i saw on local news, i can only imagine what you have to deal
with with your roof. as for what has to be done, i have an idea. my first
and only roofing work was covering a double gable roof i put on my 12x16
'yard barn' i built. it took me 4 days, but it is straight and all in line.
i even tared down each shingle to protect against high winds.

> another day or two to finish up checking out all the suggestions I've
> got. I am estimating that I'll test one or both over the weekend.
>
> So assume that I've got enough info and just need to actually drive one
> of them. The forthcoming null in getting back to the list with
> "[SOLVED:]" (I hope) is not for lack of interest or not caring about
> about the help I've gotten. Its just that there is life outside of
> computers, though I'll take fretting over my laptop to roofing contractors.
-=-

it is understandable that you will be delayed due to roof.

just keep a plastic sheet handy for computer in case it rains before
roof gets fixed.


> Thanks to you and everyone else who helped,
-=-

it has been my pleasure and i hope that all goes well with both roof
and computer.

just remember the "6 p's";

proper planing prevents piss poor performance.


looking forward to "[SOLVED:]".


later.

--

peace out.

tc.hago,

g
.

*please reply "plain text" only. "html text" are deleted*

****
in a free world without fences, who needs gates.
**
help microsoft stamp out piracy - give linux to a friend today.
**
to mess up a linux box, you need to work at it.
to mess up an ms windows box, you just need to *look* at it.
**
The installation instructions stated to install Windows 2000 or better.
So I installed Linux.
**
learn linux:
'Rute User's Tutorial and Exposition' http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html
'The Linux Documentation Project' http://www.tldp.org/
'LDP HOWTO-index' http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/HOWTO-INDEX/index.html
'HowtoForge' http://howtoforge.com/
****

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 12-14-2011, 12:59 AM
g
 
Default fedora equivalent of recovery disk

On 12/13/2011 06:26 PM, Michael Hennebry wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Dec 2011, g wrote:
>
>> i am familiar with the dd options of -skip and -seek. just not familiar
>> with proper way to use dd with cdrecord.
>>
>> can someone elaborate?
>
> cdrecord can read from a pipe.
-=-

i have read 'man cdrecord', but i did not recall using of 'pipe'. i have
now red back thru 'man cdrecord' and search for 'pipe' to see just how
pipes are used.

now i have some playing to do to see just how they work.

i have gotten used to using k3b when i do file and directory backup.

i find it easier to drag and drop files and directories in a gui than
trying to remember where everything is and enter it on a command line.

having started at cli, gui has made me lazy and not recalling of what
i once new. of course there are a lot more commands to know with the
advancing of technology. cd/dvd being just one of them.


i thank you for replying.

--

peace out.

tc.hago,

g
.

*please reply "plain text" only. "html text" are deleted*

****
in a free world without fences, who needs gates.
**
help microsoft stamp out piracy - give linux to a friend today.
**
to mess up a linux box, you need to work at it.
to mess up an ms windows box, you just need to *look* at it.
**
The installation instructions stated to install Windows 2000 or better.
So I installed Linux.
**
learn linux:
'Rute User's Tutorial and Exposition' http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html
'The Linux Documentation Project' http://www.tldp.org/
'LDP HOWTO-index' http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/HOWTO-INDEX/index.html
'HowtoForge' http://howtoforge.com/
****

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 12-17-2011, 07:06 AM
Paul Allen Newell
 
Default fedora equivalent of recovery disk

On 12/13/2011 4:09 PM, Paul Allen Newell wrote:



My estimate is that I will have materials in a day or two and then
another day or two to finish up checking out all the suggestions I've
got. I am estimating that I'll test one or both over the weekend.




To the list:

I've download and burned PartedMagic. It booted properly and I was able
to see what was available via "ls". Typed "clonezilla" and followed
directions ... took three tries and I don't understand why, but I was
able to get an image onto a USB.


I am now trying to see if I can boot from the image, but my poor little
laptop doesn't give me any options except CD/DVD or hard drive when I
hit f9 in the boot-up process.


One of the things I took from all the helpful info I got was that I
could boot from the USB to confirm it was working. It appears that I
can't do such and from what I can tell in Clonezilla, there doesn't seem
to be an option for booting the PartedMagic CD and telling it to reboot
off the USB.


Am I missing something, or is the USB something I can only transfer back
to hard drive?


I want to give G4L a try, but it seems the issue is now my laptop not
wanting to boot off USB which renders testing an USB image academic? ....

Thanks, Paul
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 12-17-2011, 01:57 PM
g
 
Default fedora equivalent of recovery disk

On 12/17/2011 08:06 AM, Paul Allen Newell wrote:
> On 12/13/2011 4:09 PM, Paul Allen Newell wrote:
>>
>> My estimate is that I will have materials in a day or two and then
>> another day or two to finish up checking out all the suggestions I've
>> got. I am estimating that I'll test one or both over the weekend.
>>
>
> To the list:
>
> I've download and burned PartedMagic. It booted properly and I was able
> to see what was available via "ls". Typed "clonezilla" and followed
> directions ... took three tries and I don't understand why, but I was
> able to get an image onto a USB.
-=-

"I don't understand why" what? that i worked? i is supposed to work.

main thing is that you got image saved.


> I am now trying to see if I can boot from the image, but my poor little
> laptop doesn't give me any options except CD/DVD or hard drive when I
> hit f9 in the boot-up process.
-=-

2 possibilities;

1] your bios will not boot usb.
2] 'boot sector' procedure for usb is different from that of cd/dvd.

solutions;

1] upgrade bios.
2] install correct 'boot sector'.


> One of the things I took from all the helpful info I got was that I
> could boot from the USB to confirm it was working. It appears that I
> can't do such and from what I can tell in Clonezilla, there doesn't seem
> to be an option for booting the PartedMagic CD and telling it to reboot
> off the USB.
-=-

most likely correct.

if you go back to 'partedmagic' site page for installing to usb, you will
see what needs to be done to enable 'usb boot'. but that will only be if
your bios will boot usb.

there are ways to boot usb when not enabled by bios, google search will
show them.


> Am I missing something, or is the USB something I can only transfer back
> to hard drive?
-=-

yes, you are. yes.


> I want to give G4L a try, but it seems the issue is now my laptop not
> wanting to boot off USB which renders testing an USB image academic?
-=-

this is true and why you need to upgrade bios.


> Thanks, Paul
-=-

welcome, george.

--

peace out.

tc.hago,

g
.

*please reply "plain text" only. "html text" are deleted*

****
in a free world without fences, who needs gates.
**
help microsoft stamp out piracy - give linux to a friend today.
**
to mess up a linux box, you need to work at it.
to mess up an ms windows box, you just need to *look* at it.
**
The installation instructions stated to install Windows 2000 or better.
So I installed Linux.
**
learn linux:
'Rute User's Tutorial and Exposition' http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html
'The Linux Documentation Project' http://www.tldp.org/
'LDP HOWTO-index' http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/HOWTO-INDEX/index.html
'HowtoForge' http://howtoforge.com/
****

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 12-18-2011, 12:55 AM
Paul Allen Newell
 
Default fedora equivalent of recovery disk

[edited and inline]

On 12/17/2011 6:57 AM, g wrote:

On 12/17/2011 08:06 AM, Paul Allen Newell wrote:

[...] took three tries and I don't understand why, but I was
able to get an image onto a USB.

-=-

"I don't understand why" what? that i worked? i is supposed to work.

main thing is that you got image saved.


The "why" was that I don't understand what failed the first two times so
I really don't know what I did different the last time ... but as you
said, I got the image and that's what matters



-=-

2 possibilities;

1] your bios will not boot usb.
2] 'boot sector' procedure for usb is different from that of cd/dvd.

solutions;

1] upgrade bios.
2] install correct 'boot sector'.

[...]
there are ways to boot usb when not enabled by bios, google search will
show them.

[...]
this is true and why you need to upgrade bios.




George:

I was hoping that you'd tell me I was doing something wrong as I was
pretty certain the end result would be deal with the bios so I can boot
from USB or alternative from Google (which seems to be pointing me to
Plop). I checked HP's bios updates and didn't see any update which
talked about "adding USB boot support", so I'm going to try the Plop
method -- hopefully I will be able to get the confirm that the USB is
good before I reinstall original OS for hardware repair.


Thanks,
Paul

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 12-18-2011, 03:42 AM
g
 
Default fedora equivalent of recovery disk

On 12/18/2011 01:55 AM, Paul Allen Newell wrote:
<>

> The "why" was that I don't understand what failed the first two times so
> I really don't know what I did different the last time ... but as you
> said, I got the image and that's what matters
-=-

8-)

many things do not work 1st time, and if we spent time trying to figure
it out after 1st failure, we would never get around to 2nd or 3rd time
and success.

what would be to consider, now that you did get it to work 3rd time, can
you make it work a 4th and 5th time?

think about that one. :-)


> I was hoping that you'd tell me I was doing something wrong as I was
> pretty certain the end result would be deal with the bios so I can boot
> from USB or alternative from Google (which seems to be pointing me to
> Plop). I checked HP's bios updates and didn't see any update which
> talked about "adding USB boot support", so I'm going to try the Plop
> method -- hopefully I will be able to get the confirm that the USB is
> good before I reinstall original OS for hardware repair.
-=-

*note - booting from usb will/may fail*.

my bad. i failed to mention before:

'/etc/fstab' is wrong, as are files in '/boot/' and '/boot/grub/grub.conf'.
these files deal with system being on hdd, not usb.

therefore, these files will need to be backed up and changed to boot from
usb.


as for plop, i am aware of it from looking it up when it was mentioned
in another thread. i do not know more than having look at 'features'.
i looked again and read a little further. if you can follow what is
written, you should be able to boot usb.

do consider this, when you boot usb, all you are going to prove is that
you can boot. you will not be checking all files. only way to do that
is to run a file by file comparison. for the time that would take, you
could do a fresh install and configuration.


ok, to deal with bios upgrade.

does you bios boot show screens or a graphic banner?

does bios have ability to show 'detail' screens during boot?

if so, boot in that mode to see what is there. some will give an option
of 'other' or something to that effect.

also, during detail boot, watch to see who wrote bios, and note the
number and year. you may need to go to them for new bios if new hp bios
does not have usb boot option.

hp may not note that later bios has usb boot, but if you pull latest for
your system, and install it, you may find usb is there.


it may be too late to make a 'count' check of files of 'clone' type backup
to original because of your having possible changes to your hdd files that
will not show on usb. you could use 'rsync' to update usb, but do be aware
that that may or may not cause problems.

*normally*, when you use a clone type or any of all the other good ways
of making a backup, it will be good. only time i have every had a problem
is when there was a faulty hdd or memory involved.


before and after i make full backups, i run

ls -lRA > path.00xx

in root directory of original and then backup.

then copy source's file to backup's root directory.

for some strange reason, file size of the 2 have seldom been same, and if
not, to make a quick check, i run a line count with 'wc' on both files;

wc -l path.0001 > wc-l.path.0001
wc -l path.0011 > wc-l.path.0011

then view files for counts. if both are same, and usually are, great. if
not, try a word count with '-w'.

wc -w path.0001 > wc-w.path.0001
wc -w path.0011 > wc-w.path.0011

then view files for counts.

run 'man wc' if not familiar with command.


_if_ they both fail, you can find where by taking a longer time checking
using 'diff';

diff path.0001 path.0011

run 'man diff' if not familiar with command.


now, here is a 'farm out' way and thought to check you usb files.

on usb stick, backup '/etc/fstab', edit file to show usb as '/'.

in any directory, as root user, run;

rpm -V * > rpm-V.0001

to verify all files.

then with usb mounted;

chroot /mnt/usb/

then run;

rpm -V * > rpm-V.0011
exit

cp /mnt/usb/rpm-V.0011 .

and verify the 2 files against each other.

run 'man chroot' and 'man rpm' if not familiar with commands.

*note* you may have to use 'info' instead of 'man'.


above just might be easiest of all ways to check all system files.


hth.

'crash time', t-minus 2 hours and counting. 8-D

later.

--

peace out.

tc.hago,

g
.

*please reply "plain text" only. "html text" are deleted*

****
in a free world without fences, who needs gates.
**
help microsoft stamp out piracy - give linux to a friend today.
**
to mess up a linux box, you need to work at it.
to mess up an ms windows box, you just need to *look* at it.
**
The installation instructions stated to install Windows 2000 or better.
So I installed Linux.
**
learn linux:
'Rute User's Tutorial and Exposition' http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html
'The Linux Documentation Project' http://www.tldp.org/
'LDP HOWTO-index' http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/HOWTO-INDEX/index.html
'HowtoForge' http://howtoforge.com/
****

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 12-18-2011, 03:48 AM
Paul Allen Newell
 
Default fedora equivalent of recovery disk

I tried Plop and keep getting a message of "missing operating system".
Couldn't tell if it is Plop CD or Clonezilla USB (though I suspect the
latter since running Plop Linux boots up fine and works). The best I can
find via Google is that it needs grub and I would think that, if that is
true, then I didn't get a full image on USB that I can boot from (as in
it is just a restore image?). Nothing in Plop home site about that message.


The poor laptop is now begging me to just get it repaired and I've
gotten to the point where I have put in enough time trying to get around
having to do a fresh install that its going to be cheaper in man hours
to just do the brute force reinstall.


Plus, Best Buy has told me that since the laptop isn't under warranty,
they don't care what operating system is on it so long as they can log
in to a "bare minimum environment" (as in give them a browser and they
are happy). That means I have to get stuff off (3rd party beta software
and the like) before giving it to them and my time gets allocated to that.


I am keeping the Clonezilla-ed USB and will try a restore before I kick
the machine to F16 xfce. I've learned alot during this whole thread and
all the help is appreciated. Wish I could have reported "solved", but
I've got to cut my losses and this seems like the right point in time.


For what it is worth, I really think that a tool for creating an iso
that can be booted from or used to restore a disk should be part of the
operating system. It shouldn't be an external tool which isn't tightly
bound to the operating system (and the different versions / updates). If
there is a reason why it can't be, I'm more than ready to listen. If I
don't hear one, I'll probably bugzilla it against Fedora once I am on
f16 and off an eol release.


Paul
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 
Old 12-18-2011, 03:49 AM
Paul Allen Newell
 
Default fedora equivalent of recovery disk

Purposely top-posting .... this came in right as I sent my abandon email
... let me read and reevaluate.


On 12/17/2011 8:42 PM, g wrote:

On 12/18/2011 01:55 AM, Paul Allen Newell wrote:
<>


The "why" was that I don't understand what failed the first two times so
I really don't know what I did different the last time ... but as you
said, I got the image and that's what matters

-=-

8-)

many things do not work 1st time, and if we spent time trying to figure
it out after 1st failure, we would never get around to 2nd or 3rd time
and success.

what would be to consider, now that you did get it to work 3rd time, can
you make it work a 4th and 5th time?

think about that one. :-)



I was hoping that you'd tell me I was doing something wrong as I was
pretty certain the end result would be deal with the bios so I can boot
from USB or alternative from Google (which seems to be pointing me to
Plop). I checked HP's bios updates and didn't see any update which
talked about "adding USB boot support", so I'm going to try the Plop
method -- hopefully I will be able to get the confirm that the USB is
good before I reinstall original OS for hardware repair.

-=-

*note - booting from usb will/may fail*.

my bad. i failed to mention before:

'/etc/fstab' is wrong, as are files in '/boot/' and '/boot/grub/grub.conf'.
these files deal with system being on hdd, not usb.

therefore, these files will need to be backed up and changed to boot from
usb.


as for plop, i am aware of it from looking it up when it was mentioned
in another thread. i do not know more than having look at 'features'.
i looked again and read a little further. if you can follow what is
written, you should be able to boot usb.

do consider this, when you boot usb, all you are going to prove is that
you can boot. you will not be checking all files. only way to do that
is to run a file by file comparison. for the time that would take, you
could do a fresh install and configuration.


ok, to deal with bios upgrade.

does you bios boot show screens or a graphic banner?

does bios have ability to show 'detail' screens during boot?

if so, boot in that mode to see what is there. some will give an option
of 'other' or something to that effect.

also, during detail boot, watch to see who wrote bios, and note the
number and year. you may need to go to them for new bios if new hp bios
does not have usb boot option.

hp may not note that later bios has usb boot, but if you pull latest for
your system, and install it, you may find usb is there.


it may be too late to make a 'count' check of files of 'clone' type backup
to original because of your having possible changes to your hdd files that
will not show on usb. you could use 'rsync' to update usb, but do be aware
that that may or may not cause problems.

*normally*, when you use a clone type or any of all the other good ways
of making a backup, it will be good. only time i have every had a problem
is when there was a faulty hdd or memory involved.


before and after i make full backups, i run

ls -lRA> path.00xx

in root directory of original and then backup.

then copy source's file to backup's root directory.

for some strange reason, file size of the 2 have seldom been same, and if
not, to make a quick check, i run a line count with 'wc' on both files;

wc -l path.0001> wc-l.path.0001
wc -l path.0011> wc-l.path.0011

then view files for counts. if both are same, and usually are, great. if
not, try a word count with '-w'.

wc -w path.0001> wc-w.path.0001
wc -w path.0011> wc-w.path.0011

then view files for counts.

run 'man wc' if not familiar with command.


_if_ they both fail, you can find where by taking a longer time checking
using 'diff';

diff path.0001 path.0011

run 'man diff' if not familiar with command.


now, here is a 'farm out' way and thought to check you usb files.

on usb stick, backup '/etc/fstab', edit file to show usb as '/'.

in any directory, as root user, run;

rpm -V *> rpm-V.0001

to verify all files.

then with usb mounted;

chroot /mnt/usb/

then run;

rpm -V *> rpm-V.0011
exit

cp /mnt/usb/rpm-V.0011 .

and verify the 2 files against each other.

run 'man chroot' and 'man rpm' if not familiar with commands.

*note* you may have to use 'info' instead of 'man'.


above just might be easiest of all ways to check all system files.


hth.

'crash time', t-minus 2 hours and counting. 8-D

later.



--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 12:52 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org