Old 12-12-2011, 07:32 AM
Joe Zeff

Default fedora equivalent of recovery disk

On 12/11/2011 09:54 PM, Paul Allen Newell wrote:
> Before I consider actually doing it, I wanted to ask if there is the
> equivalent of "a recovery disk" that I can create with k3b so, assuming
> the problem is fixable, I can reinstall without having to go back to the
> original install disk (and then go through all the customizations and
> additional downloads). I've look on the Fedora docs (installation_guide)
> and didn't see anything. I am presuming that this is something that
> exists and I just haven't been able to google the right thing (or I've
> googled and not seen it as the right thing).

Get an external hard drive and use a Clonzilla CD to copy everything
across. Then, when you get it back, reverse the process. HTH, HAND.

Old 12-12-2011, 07:44 AM

On 12/12/2011 08:32 AM, Joe Zeff wrote:
<>

> Get an external hard drive and use a Clonzilla CD to copy everything
> across. Then, when you get it back, reverse the process. HTH, HAND.

if he had an external hdd large enough, he could boot any install cd/dvd,
or, live cd/dvd, to cli and use 'dd'.

--

peace out.

tc.hago,

.

*please reply "plain text" only. "html text" are deleted*

****
**
**
**
So I installed Linux.
**
learn linux:
'HowtoForge' http://howtoforge.com/
****

Old 12-12-2011, 07:57 AM
Joe Zeff

On 12/12/2011 12:44 AM, g wrote:
> if he had an external hdd large enough, he could boot any install cd/dvd,
> or, live cd/dvd, to cli and use 'dd'.

True, but something like Clonezilla has its advantages, such as sanity
checks and a progress bar. And, it can format the entire external drive
for you so that you can add other stuff to it if you need.

Old 12-12-2011, 02:05 PM
Rich

On 12/12/2011 3:13 AM, Emilio Lopez wrote:
>> Before I consider actually doing it, I wanted to ask if there is the
>> equivalent of "a recovery disk" that I can create with k3b so, assuming
>> the problem is fixable, I can reinstall without having to go back to the
>> original install disk (and then go through all the customizations and
>> additional downloads). I've look on the Fedora docs (installation_guide)
>> and didn't see anything. I am presuming that this is something that
>> exists and I just haven't been able to google the right thing (or I've
>> googled and not seen it as the right thing).
>
> I suggest making a image of the hard drive with dd command and store
> it in a usb drive. You should use a liveCD to do this.
>
> Emilio.
Better than dd, use ddrescue. The -S option makes a sparse copy which
will take up much less disk space and will be correspondingly faster.
Also you can stop and start without having to start over.

Old 12-12-2011, 04:11 PM

On 12/12/2011 03:05 PM, Rich wrote:
<>

> Better than dd, use ddrescue. The -S option makes a sparse copy which
> will take up much less disk space and will be correspondingly faster.
> Also you can stop and start without having to start over.
-=-

can you burn across several dvd's with it?

--

peace out.

tc.hago,

.

Old 12-12-2011, 04:11 PM

On 12/12/2011 08:57 AM, Joe Zeff wrote:
<>

> True, but something like Clonezilla has its advantages, such as sanity
> checks and a progress bar. And, it can format the entire external drive
> for you so that you can add other stuff to it if you need.
-=-

not debating such.

but i believe you and some others have lost sight of fact that op, paul
does not indicate that he has an external hdd and that he desires
ability to burn a clone/backup of system to dvd's and it will take
several.

therefore, as he stated earlier, his needs are making backup, not
reformatting.

--

peace out.

tc.hago,

.

Old 12-12-2011, 04:34 PM
Michael Hennebry

On Mon, 12 Dec 2011, g wrote:

> but i believe you and some others have lost sight of fact that op, paul
> does not indicate that he has an external hdd and that he desires
> ability to burn a clone/backup of system to dvd's and it will take
> several.

Don't know about ddrescue.
I'm pretty sure that dd can do the job by itself,
but you might need a dvd burning program also.

Use the -skip option of dd to burn to dvds.
Use the -seek option to restore the hard drive.

I've written CDs with cp and read them with tar.
YMMV espcially since were discussing DVDs.

--
Michael hennebry@web.cs.ndsu.NoDak.edu
whom I teach not to run with scissors,

Old 12-12-2011, 04:49 PM

On 12/12/2011 05:34 PM, Michael Hennebry wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Dec 2011, g wrote:
>
>> but i believe you and some others have lost sight of fact that op, paul
>> does not indicate that he has an external hdd and that he desires
>> ability to burn a clone/backup of system to dvd's and it will take
>> several.
>

> Don't know about ddrescue. I'm pretty sure that dd can do the job by
> itself, but you might need a dvd burning program also.

i am familiar with the dd options of -skip and -seek. just not familiar
with proper way to use dd with cdrecord.

can someone elaborate?

--

peace out.

tc.hago,

.

Old 12-12-2011, 06:23 PM
Joe Zeff

On 12/12/2011 09:11 AM, g wrote:
> but i believe you and some others have lost sight of fact that op, paul
> does not indicate that he has an external hdd and that he desires
> ability to burn a clone/backup of system to dvd's and it will take
> several.

This is why I started out by suggesting that he get an external hard drive.

Old 12-12-2011, 06:41 PM
Rich

On 12/12/2011 12:11 PM, g wrote:
> On 12/12/2011 03:05 PM, Rich wrote:
> <>
>

>> Better than dd, use ddrescue. The -S option makes a sparse copy which
>> will take up much less disk space and will be correspondingly faster.
>> Also you can stop and start without having to start over.
> -=-
>
> can you burn across several dvd's with it?

no. It's file/device to file/device. Similar to dd with a number of
additional features. However, cd and dvd writing is not one of those
features.
You might want to consider an external drive. You can get a 250 Gig USB
for around $50--at least in the US.