Old 03-27-2008, 12:24 AM
Mike Cronenworth

Default bluetooth 2.0 is extremely slow

Hi all,

I've lived with slow transfer speeds long enough. Ever since I purchased
an ASUS Bluetooth 2.0+EDR USB adapter it has always taken *minutes*
instead of *seconds* to transfer files from my cell phone to my computer
and vice versa.

Fedora 8, latest updates.
Nokia N95-1, latest firmware.

Both are Bluetooth 2.0+EDR devices.

It took *40 seconds* to transfer a 1 megabyte picture. I timed this with
'watch -n 1 date' for grins, so I can't give you nanosecond numbers, but
even a rough estimate shows that transfer speeds are *abysmal* and need
to be addressed. Ideally it should be taking less than 10 seconds to
transfer the same image file on a true 2.0+EDR setup. I have two
different computers with the same Asus adapter. Same speeds.

I saw someone fixed this by forcing larger MTUs.
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/...ary/000847.html
<http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-bluetooth/2007-January/000847.html>

Before modifying the OpenOBEX sources, I posted a message on their
board, but I haven't heard anything yet. Does anyone have any experience
with this?

Thanks,
Mike

Old 03-28-2008, 06:31 PM
Mike Cronenworth

[...]

I hate to bump, but if no one on this list has an idea, what would the
next best course of action be? fedora-devel? The OpenOBEX developers
seem to be non-responsive.

Thanks,
Mike

Old 04-01-2008, 04:11 PM
Mike Cronenworth

Hi all,

I've lived with slow transfer speeds long enough. Ever since I purchased
an ASUS Bluetooth 2.0+EDR USB adapter it has always taken *minutes*
instead of *seconds* to transfer files from my cell phone to my computer
and vice versa.

Fedora 8, latest updates.
Nokia N95-1, latest firmware.

Both are Bluetooth 2.0+EDR devices.

It took *40 seconds* to transfer a 1 megabyte picture. I timed this with
'watch -n 1 date' for grins, so I can't give you nanosecond numbers, but
even a rough estimate shows that transfer speeds are *abysmal* and need
to be addressed. Ideally it should be taking less than 10 seconds to
transfer the same image file on a true 2.0+EDR setup. I have two
different computers with two of the same Asus adapter. Same speeds.

I saw someone fixed this by forcing larger MTUs.
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/...ary/000847.html
<http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-bluetooth/2007-January/000847.html>

Before modifying the OpenOBEX sources, I posted a message on their
board, but I haven't heard anything yet. Does anyone have any experience
with this?

I have tried the fedora-list without an answer. Also, the OpenOBEX
developers are silent on this. Is this because no one has a 2.0 adapter
and 2.0 device?

Thanks,
Mike

Old 04-01-2008, 04:28 PM
Bastien Nocera

On Tue, 2008-04-01 at 11:11 -0500, Mike Cronenworth wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've lived with slow transfer speeds long enough. Ever since I purchased
> an ASUS Bluetooth 2.0+EDR USB adapter it has always taken *minutes*
> instead of *seconds* to transfer files from my cell phone to my computer
> and vice versa.
>
> Fedora 8, latest updates.
> Nokia N95-1, latest firmware.
>
> Both are Bluetooth 2.0+EDR devices.
>
> It took *40 seconds* to transfer a 1 megabyte picture. I timed this with
> 'watch -n 1 date' for grins, so I can't give you nanosecond numbers, but
> even a rough estimate shows that transfer speeds are *abysmal* and need
> to be addressed. Ideally it should be taking less than 10 seconds to
> transfer the same image file on a true 2.0+EDR setup. I have two
> different computers with two of the same Asus adapter. Same speeds.

That certainly doesn't rule out a bug in the dongle's firmware for
example.

> I saw someone fixed this by forcing larger MTUs.
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/...ary/000847.html
> <http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-bluetooth/2007-January/000847.html>
>
> Before modifying the OpenOBEX sources, I posted a message on their
> board, but I haven't heard anything yet. Does anyone have any experience
> with this?

OpenObex upstream is pretty much dead(-ish). Let's call it maintenance
mode.

> I have tried the fedora-list without an answer. Also, the OpenOBEX
> developers are silent on this. Is this because no one has a 2.0 adapter
> and 2.0 device?

Probably not, one of the upstream for OpenObex is Marcel Holtmann, and
he certainly has more Bluetooth 2.0 devices than you or I.

Test the patch, tell us if it works, and mail the bluez-users list about
it. There's also ACL and SCO MTUs to take in consideration, and I would
guess the bug is more likely to be there (in the kernel, in the firmware
of your dongle, or the firmware of your phone) than solely in OpenObex.

Cheers

Old 04-05-2008, 05:50 AM
Mike Cronenworth

[...]

I punched myself into loading Windows XP (latest updates, latest
drivers) and the same file (or any 1 meg file) transfers in *10
seconds*. A factor of four on speed improvement. There's nothing wrong
with the firmware.

[...]

I will try messing with OpenOBEX and report back. If no one else
ventures into this... it might be a while. I don't have a lot of time
to give to this.

Cheers

Old 04-10-2008, 02:53 AM
Mike Cronenworth

[...]

OK,

I applied the attached patch. I'm putting this up for review, and any
suggestions (should this be posted somewhere else, etc.). My transfer
time went from 40 seconds to 10 seconds. It now matches Windows XP
performance. Just add it to the RPM spec like the existing patches.

Regards,

Michael

Old 04-10-2008, 05:35 PM
Mike Cronenworth

I applied the attached patch. I'm putting this up for review, and any
suggestions (should this be posted somewhere else, etc.). My transfer
time went from 40 seconds to 10 seconds. It now matches Windows XP
performance. Just add it to the RPM spec like the existing patches.

Regards,
Michael

After further testing I've created a proper patch. These are my results
based on the attached patch. Each MTU was tested twice using "open_push"
as the receiver program and using the "gnome-obex-server" program.

Bluetooth 2.0 - 1070k file transfer from phone to computer
1024 MTU - 40 seconds (default MTU)
8192 MTU - 20 seconds
16384 MTU - 10 seconds
32768 MTU - 11 seconds
65535 MTU - 12 seconds

Bluetooth 1.1 - 1070k file transfer from phone to computer
1024 MTU - 52 seconds (default MTU)
8192 MTU - 30 seconds
16384 MTU - 34 seconds

I revised the patch to not change the minimum MTU. It had no effect on
speeds. 16k seems to be the sweet spot. This makes *huge* differences
for both 1.1 and 2.0. It seems no one with OpenOBEX bothered to test
transfer speeds... kind of unsettling. I will make a Bugzilla report and
join the bluez list later today.

Regards,
Mike

Old 04-10-2008, 05:39 PM
Harald Hoyer

[...]

Does using OBEX_SetTransportMTU() help?
http://www.zuckschwerdt.org/apidocs/r323.html

Old 04-11-2008, 12:24 PM
Bastien Nocera

On Thu, 2008-04-10 at 19:39 +0200, Harald Hoyer wrote:
<snip>
> Does using OBEX_SetTransportMTU() help?
> http://www.zuckschwerdt.org/apidocs/r323.html

For what it's worth all the Obex UIs for GNOME in Fedora shouldn't have
those speed problems, as obex-data-server sets the MTU itself as well,
to values tested by Nokia for Maemo.