Old 03-26-2008, 10:23 PM
Nicholas Robinson

Default Recommended USB TV Capture

Hi

I have a good wireless camera that generates video/audio, but since I upgraded
my motherboard, there's nowhere to plug my old tv capture card in (you can
tell my hardware knowledge is limited!!!)

Rather than buy another card, I was wondering about using one of these usb tv
capture devices that you see lurking seductively on the impulse sections of
the racks at PC World or wherever. Are they any good? Do any of them work
with Fedora 8? Is there a big difference in quality even though there isn't a
huge difference in price? Is there a specific one that someone knows works?

Thanks for any advice.

Nick

Old 03-27-2008, 08:22 PM
Bill Davidsen

Nicholas Robinson wrote:

Hi

I have a good wireless camera that generates video/audio, but since I upgraded
my motherboard, there's nowhere to plug my old tv capture card in (you can
tell my hardware knowledge is limited!!!)

Rather than buy another card, I was wondering about using one of these usb tv
capture devices that you see lurking seductively on the impulse sections of
the racks at PC World or wherever. Are they any good? Do any of them work
with Fedora 8? Is there a big difference in quality even though there isn't a
huge difference in price? Is there a specific one that someone knows works?

I got one from CompUSA in November, just before they admitted they were
going out of business. You might find one on eBay or similar, the
branding is theirs. Works on FC4 and FC7, probably work anywhere...

As for current stuff, no idea, and the specs change so often by the time
I find one which works, the current available model isn't the same. Also
not that some have no tuner, they take composite and S-video only.

If you want something serious, see pchomerun.com, really awesome
solution, at <$200.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>

Old 03-28-2008, 09:05 AM
"Ferguson, Michael"

I am curious about the camera. Which is it?

Thanks

> I have a good wireless camera that generates video/audio, but since I
> upgraded my motherboard, there's nowhere to plug my old tv capture
> card in (you can tell my hardware knowledge is limited!!!)
>
> Rather than buy another card, I was wondering about using one of these
> usb tv capture devices that you see lurking seductively on the impulse
> sections of the racks at PC World or wherever. Are they any good? Do
> any of them work with Fedora 8? Is there a big difference in quality
> even though there isn't a huge difference in price? Is there a specific
one that someone knows works?

I got one from CompUSA in November, just before they admitted they were
going out of business. You might find one on eBay or similar, the branding
is theirs. Works on FC4 and FC7, probably work anywhere...

As for current stuff, no idea, and the specs change so often by the time I
find one which works, the current available model isn't the same. Also not
that some have no tuner, they take composite and S-video only.

If you want something serious, see pchomerun.com, really awesome solution,
at <$200.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
"We have more to fear from the bungling of the incompetent than from the
machinations of the wicked." - from Slashdot