Old 03-26-2008, 10:16 PM
Paul Lemmons

Default Determining Video Formats

I am looking for a way to look at an AVI file and see how it was encoded
with enough detail that I could reproduce the process using transcode or
mencoder. I have a media server (D-Link DSM520) that plays most videos
absolutely perfectly. Some, though, it has trouble keeping audio sync. I
would like to compare the videos that work without issue to those that
have issues to see if I can identify what the differentiator might be. I
should then be able to identify those with problems and re-transcode
them to look like the files without the problem. That is the goal, anyway.

I suspect this is real easy but I am just not finding it and I am
completely Googled out. Any pointers in the right direction would be
much appreciated!

Old 03-27-2008, 01:56 AM
"Patrick O'Callaghan"

On Wed, 2008-03-26 at 16:16 -0700, Paul Lemmons wrote:
> I am looking for a way to look at an AVI file and see how it was encoded
> with enough detail that I could reproduce the process using transcode or
> mencoder. I have a media server (D-Link DSM520) that plays most videos
> absolutely perfectly. Some, though, it has trouble keeping audio sync. I
> would like to compare the videos that work without issue to those that
> have issues to see if I can identify what the differentiator might be. I
> should then be able to identify those with problems and re-transcode
> them to look like the files without the problem. That is the goal, anyway.
>
> I suspect this is real easy but I am just not finding it and I am
> completely Googled out. Any pointers in the right direction would be
> much appreciated!

The tovid package ("yum install tovid") has a command called idvid,
which might be at least part of what you want.

poc

Old 03-27-2008, 11:21 AM
James Pifer

On Wed, 2008-03-26 at 22:26 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-03-26 at 16:16 -0700, Paul Lemmons wrote:
> > I am looking for a way to look at an AVI file and see how it was encoded
> > with enough detail that I could reproduce the process using transcode or
> > mencoder. I have a media server (D-Link DSM520) that plays most videos
> > absolutely perfectly. Some, though, it has trouble keeping audio sync. I
> > would like to compare the videos that work without issue to those that
> > have issues to see if I can identify what the differentiator might be. I
> > should then be able to identify those with problems and re-transcode
> > them to look like the files without the problem. That is the goal, anyway.
> >
> > I suspect this is real easy but I am just not finding it and I am
> > completely Googled out. Any pointers in the right direction would be
> > much appreciated!
>
> The tovid package ("yum install tovid") has a command called idvid,
> which might be at least part of what you want.
>
> poc

I was/am in a similar situation trying to figure out a way to transcode
videos for my son's Zune. So far the only tool that has worked is crappy
MS Movie Maker. Anyway, I found this windows tool which I think is free:
GSpot. Just google and it should be the first thing returned.

I will check out tovid as well!

HTH,
James

Old 03-27-2008, 01:35 PM
"Patrick O'Callaghan"

On Thu, 2008-03-27 at 08:21 -0400, James Pifer wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-03-26 at 22:26 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > On Wed, 2008-03-26 at 16:16 -0700, Paul Lemmons wrote:
> > > I am looking for a way to look at an AVI file and see how it was encoded
> > > with enough detail that I could reproduce the process using transcode or
> > > mencoder. I have a media server (D-Link DSM520) that plays most videos
> > > absolutely perfectly. Some, though, it has trouble keeping audio sync. I
> > > would like to compare the videos that work without issue to those that
> > > have issues to see if I can identify what the differentiator might be. I
> > > should then be able to identify those with problems and re-transcode
> > > them to look like the files without the problem. That is the goal, anyway.
> > >
> > > I suspect this is real easy but I am just not finding it and I am
> > > completely Googled out. Any pointers in the right direction would be
> > > much appreciated!
> >
> > The tovid package ("yum install tovid") has a command called idvid,
> > which might be at least part of what you want.
> >
> > poc
> >

> I was/am in a similar situation trying to figure out a way to transcode
> videos for my son's Zune. So far the only tool that has worked is crappy
> MS Movie Maker. Anyway, I found this windows tool which I think is free:
> GSpot. Just google and it should be the first thing returned.
>
> I will check out tovid as well!

Note that most Linux transcoders are simply frontends to parts of the
'transcode' package, which has a zillion options and can almost
certainly do what you want if you can figure it out :-)

ffmpeg is also useful and somewhat simpler.

poc

Old 03-27-2008, 01:43 PM
"David G. Mackay"

On Thu, 2008-03-27 at 10:05 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-03-27 at 08:21 -0400, James Pifer wrote:

> > > The tovid package ("yum install tovid") has a command called idvid,
> > > which might be at least part of what you want.
> > >
> > > poc
> > >

> > I was/am in a similar situation trying to figure out a way to transcode
> > videos for my son's Zune. So far the only tool that has worked is crappy
> > MS Movie Maker. Anyway, I found this windows tool which I think is free:
> > GSpot. Just google and it should be the first thing returned.
> >
> > I will check out tovid as well!
>
> Note that most Linux transcoders are simply frontends to parts of the
> 'transcode' package, which has a zillion options and can almost
> certainly do what you want if you can figure it out :-)
>
> ffmpeg is also useful and somewhat simpler.

transcode has tcprobe, which tries to get information about audio and
video from a media source. He also indicated that he might use
mencoder, which implies that he might have mplayer as well. Running
mplayer in a console with the -v flag set gives you a ton of information
about what's playing.

Dave

Old 03-27-2008, 03:25 PM
Paul Lemmons

[...]

I really appreciate all of the responses so far. The one command that I
have found that gives me most of what I need is:

mencoder -msglevel all=6 myfile.avi -o /dev/null

It errors out but before it does it drops a lot of information about the
file.

I will try tcprobe when I get home. I don't have any of the problem
avi's here at work.

Old 03-27-2008, 04:36 PM
Robin Laing

Paul Lemmons wrote:
I am looking for a way to look at an AVI file and see how it was encoded
with enough detail that I could reproduce the process using transcode or
mencoder. I have a media server (D-Link DSM520) that plays most videos
absolutely perfectly. Some, though, it has trouble keeping audio sync. I
would like to compare the videos that work without issue to those that
have issues to see if I can identify what the differentiator might be. I
should then be able to identify those with problems and re-transcode
them to look like the files without the problem. That is the goal, anyway.

I suspect this is real easy but I am just not finding it and I am
completely Googled out. Any pointers in the right direction would be
much appreciated!

I had a weird situation on the weekend with a whole set of files that I
downloaded from usenet. All the audio was up to 15 seconds in advance
of the action. I found out it was related to the black before the video
started as the sound started as soon as I hit play on the DVD player.

What I found was if I fast forwarded and then reversed, the audio was
almost synced.

These were DVIX encoded files. They worked okay on the computer though.

This points to an issue with the software on the player.

File a bug report with D-Link when you get more info.

--
Robin Laing

Old 03-27-2008, 07:01 PM
"Patrick O'Callaghan"

On Thu, 2008-03-27 at 11:36 -0600, Robin Laing wrote:
> Paul Lemmons wrote:
> > I am looking for a way to look at an AVI file and see how it was encoded
> > with enough detail that I could reproduce the process using transcode or
> > mencoder. I have a media server (D-Link DSM520) that plays most videos
> > absolutely perfectly. Some, though, it has trouble keeping audio sync. I
> > would like to compare the videos that work without issue to those that
> > have issues to see if I can identify what the differentiator might be. I
> > should then be able to identify those with problems and re-transcode
> > them to look like the files without the problem. That is the goal, anyway.
> >
> > I suspect this is real easy but I am just not finding it and I am
> > completely Googled out. Any pointers in the right direction would be
> > much appreciated!
> >

> I had a weird situation on the weekend with a whole set of files that I
> downloaded from usenet. All the audio was up to 15 seconds in advance
> of the action. I found out it was related to the black before the video
> started as the sound started as soon as I hit play on the DVD player.
>
> What I found was if I fast forwarded and then reversed, the audio was
> almost synced.
>
> These were DVIX encoded files. They worked okay on the computer though.
>
> This points to an issue with the software on the player.
>
> File a bug report with D-Link when you get more info.

Happens to me frequently on a standard DVD player using DVIX files (the
player's an LG, which I'm otherwise very happy with). The sync problem
seems to increase the further into the video you get. I suspect, off the
top of my head, that it has to do with imprecision in specifying the
frame rate at encoding time but I'm no expert.

poc