Old 03-26-2008, 12:35 PM
"David G. Mackay"

Default Catastrophic disk failure, where was smartd?

I tried to install Centos 5.1 on a hard drive, and ran into errors
formatting it. I downloaded and ran the dos version of the Seagate
tools against the disk, which found all sorts of errors, and claimed
that it was running at 253 degrees. This drive has been sitting idle,
but powered on and mounted in a system running FC6 on a different drive.
Looking at /var/log/messages, I see no smart warnings until after I
rebooted into FC6. Prior to the failure I see messages indicating that
the drive is in the smartd database, and that it has been added to the
monitor list.

Shouldn't there have been some indication of problems prior to the
failure?

Dave

Old 03-26-2008, 12:57 PM
Tom Horsley

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 08:35:49 -0500
"David G. Mackay" <mackay_d@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> Shouldn't there have been some indication of problems prior to the
> failure?

I have a feeling smartd is quite a lot like the emergency lights
we have at work. They come on fine when you press the "test" button,
but if the power actually goes out, they don't work at all :-).

Most UPS boxes seem to be about the same. They'll be reporting
self test OK and lots of battery life, then the power actually
fails, and they fall over dead.

Old 03-26-2008, 01:16 PM
"David G. Mackay"

On Wed, 2008-03-26 at 09:57 -0400, Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 08:35:49 -0500
> "David G. Mackay" <mackay_d@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>
> > Shouldn't there have been some indication of problems prior to the
> > failure?
>
> I have a feeling smartd is quite a lot like the emergency lights
> we have at work. They come on fine when you press the "test" button,
> but if the power actually goes out, they don't work at all :-).

Sort of like the $20 component that vaporizes itself to save the $.10
fuse from blowing?

> Most UPS boxes seem to be about the same. They'll be reporting
> self test OK and lots of battery life, then the power actually
> fails, and they fall over dead.

Fortunately, mine seem to kicking in when they should, except for the
one that died of old age.

Dave