Old 03-26-2008, 11:12 AM
Joachim Backes

Default Burning DVD's with K3b during vmware is running

Hi,

in F8, if i burn a DVD with K3B during vmware is running, then the verification of the burned DVD
shows errors (the burning device is my vmware CD).

If I stop vmware before burning, then burned DVD's are OK.

Did somebody make similar experiences? And can i prevent from this problem unless stopping vmware
during burning?

Regards

University of Kaiserslautern,Computer Center [RHRK],
Systems and Operations, High Performance Computing,
D-67653 Kaiserslautern, PO Box 3049, Germany

Old 03-26-2008, 11:29 AM
fred smith

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 01:12:22PM +0100, Joachim Backes wrote:
> Hi,
>
> in F8, if i burn a DVD with K3B during vmware is running, then the
> verification of the burned DVD shows errors (the burning device is my
> vmware CD).
>
> If I stop vmware before burning, then burned DVD's are OK.
>
> Did somebody make similar experiences? And can i prevent from this problem
> unless stopping vmware during burning?

Have you tried telling vmware to "disconnect" from that drive?

I can do all things through Christ
who strengthens me.

Old 03-26-2008, 11:35 AM
Joachim Backes

fred smith wrote:

in F8, if i burn a DVD with K3B during vmware is running, then the
verification of the burned DVD shows errors (the burning device is my
vmware CD).

If I stop vmware before burning, then burned DVD's are OK.

Did somebody make similar experiences? And can i prevent from this problem
unless stopping vmware during burning?

Have you tried telling vmware to "disconnect" from that drive?

Hi Fred,

no, but this could be a workaround.

Thanks.

Old 03-26-2008, 12:23 PM
Chris G

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 01:35:02PM +0100, Joachim Backes wrote:
> fred smith wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 01:12:22PM +0100, Joachim Backes wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> in F8, if i burn a DVD with K3B during vmware is running, then the
>>> verification of the burned DVD shows errors (the burning device is my
>>> vmware CD).
>>>
>>> If I stop vmware before burning, then burned DVD's are OK.
>>>
>>> Did somebody make similar experiences? And can i prevent from this
>>> problem unless stopping vmware during burning?
>>
>> Have you tried telling vmware to "disconnect" from that drive?
>
> Hi Fred,
>
> no, but this could be a workaround.

It's quite a good idea to have vmware disconnected from CD drives
except when needed anyway. The polling of the CD drive to see if
anything is inserted in the drive is (supposedly) a bit of a time
water. I have both my CD drives disconnected by default in vmware.

--
Chris Green