Old 12-04-2011, 08:52 AM
"Lars E. Pettersson"

Default Static interface-addresses and Firefox/Thunderbird off-line mode

At work I have a system with static interface addresses. I.e. I have set
the IP-numbers outside of NetworkManager, I even did not have
NetworkManager installed (can not see any reason for that on a system
that is stationary and have static IP_addresses).

Since I upgraded this system from Fedora-14 to Fedora-16 Firefox and
Thunderbird starts up in off-line mode. I installed NetworkManager to
see if that helped. But they still start up in off-line mode, which is
annoying as the network is there and has been since the computer was
started.

Anyone else had this problem? Or anyone out there that can give me a
pointer on how to get Firefox and Thunderbird started in on-line mode,
just as it was in Fedora-14?

I am using Gnome3 in forced fall-back mode.

Lars
--
Lars E. Pettersson <lars@homer.se>
http://www.sm6rpz.se/

Old 12-04-2011, 01:10 PM
Ed Greshko

On 12/04/2011 05:52 PM, Lars E. Pettersson wrote:
> At work I have a system with static interface addresses. I.e. I have set
> the IP-numbers outside of NetworkManager, I even did not have
> NetworkManager installed (can not see any reason for that on a system
> that is stationary and have static IP_addresses).
>
> Since I upgraded this system from Fedora-14 to Fedora-16 Firefox and
> Thunderbird starts up in off-line mode. I installed NetworkManager to
> see if that helped. But they still start up in off-line mode, which is
> annoying as the network is there and has been since the computer was
> started.
>
> Anyone else had this problem? Or anyone out there that can give me a
> pointer on how to get Firefox and Thunderbird started in on-line mode,
> just as it was in Fedora-14?
>
> I am using Gnome3 in forced fall-back mode.

I don't have your problem... But there is one thing you can try....

In Firefox go to "about:config" and set network.manage-offline-status to
false

In Thunderbird set toolkit.networkmanger.disable to true

fools. -- Douglas Adams in "Mostly Harmless

Old 12-04-2011, 03:07 PM
"Lars E. Pettersson"

On 12/04/2011 03:10 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> In Firefox go to "about:config" and set network.manage-offline-status to
> false
>
> In Thunderbird set toolkit.networkmanger.disable to true

Nice! That sounds like the correct things to toggle, I'll test it at
work tomorrow.

Thanks!

Lars

Old 12-04-2011, 09:25 PM
Tim

On Sun, 2011-12-04 at 10:52 +0100, Lars E. Pettersson wrote:
> I even did not have NetworkManager installed (can not see any reason
> for that on a system that is stationary and have static IP_addresses).

Other than, perhaps, it to automatically notice when you're plugged and
unplugged from the network (or some other loss of networking). I'm not
sure if it'll do that with static configurations, but it may be an
advantage to you if it does.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686