Old 03-26-2008, 10:37 AM
Tim

Default how to NOT get much help on a mailing list

Wrong: Send a message with a stupid subject line that doesn't give
anybody any reason to read your message. What the hell is
"Is it really OK" supposed to refer to?
Right: Write your subject in a way that accurately, and succinctly,
describes your message.

Wrong: Hijack a thread by replying to something completely different.
Right: Start a new message. Use that feature in your mail client that
actually says to create a new message. If your message is not
a reply to a message, then do NOT use the reply feature of a
mail client.

Wrong: Lose your message in the middle of someone else's thread by
hijacking a thread.
Right: Start a new message for a new thread. See above.

Wrong: Ignore advice you receive, and argue with people advising you.

I read messages from the public lists.

Old 03-26-2008, 12:55 PM
"Patrick O'Callaghan"

On Wed, 2008-03-26 at 22:07 +1030, Tim wrote:
> Wrong: Send a message with a stupid subject line that doesn't give
> anybody any reason to read your message. What the hell is
> "Is it really OK" supposed to refer to?
> Right: Write your subject in a way that accurately, and succinctly,
> describes your message.
>
> Wrong: Hijack a thread by replying to something completely different.
> Right: Start a new message. Use that feature in your mail client that
> actually says to create a new message. If your message is not
> a reply to a message, then do NOT use the reply feature of a
> mail client.
>
> Wrong: Lose your message in the middle of someone else's thread by
> hijacking a thread.
> Right: Start a new message for a new thread. See above.
>
> Wrong: Ignore advice you receive, and argue with people advising you.

Wrong: Ask "Package foo doesn't work. Why?"
Right: Ask "Package foo under KDE on an i386 hangs/crashes/gives an
error message"

poc