-   -   Gnome 3.2 - eh what! --- Top Posting? (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/606090-gnome-3-2-eh-what-top-posting.html)

Roger 12-04-2011 02:17 AM

Gnome 3.2 - eh what! --- Top Posting?

Hi List
New thread-old topic, sick of the old one! Sorribouthat.
I've been watching the discussion of Linus's thoughts and Gnome 3.2 and
after all can't see what the problem may be.
Some like some not, some are devs, engineers and system ops, some not,
each to his own.

I played with, I think it's Gnome 3, on the Fedora 16 dvd a number of
times, it's different but usable. I find I like it better than the
Ubuntu Unity equivalent.

I don't like and can see no reason for the huge glunky Icons in either
version.
Monster mash on the left side of Unity and dinner plates with a huge
right hand side side panel in Fedora 16, they've gotta do better than that!

I use the terminal in both with no difficulty.
I drive both operating systems adequately and the few apps I use seem to
behave. What's to worry about!

The only thing that took getting used to for me was not having my most
used icons on the top bar -- but so what, I've moved on!
Do the latest Fedora and Ubuntu work as needed, yes! No problems to date.

Of some curiosity is the adjacent discussion about tablets.
It seems tablets are mainly portrait and monitors are landscape, maybe
this is why the devs put the icons down the side, gotta be some reason.
There's room for both. I couldn't do blender, Inkscape, Scribus or
Drupal on a tablet, touch screen or not.

The truly boring part of the discussion is the endless repetition of
what has gone before because the poster does not trim the post to
relevancy, so posts get to couple hundred words plus of historical
drivel, some dating back weeks.
Scrolling down through endless drivel to find the latest comment =
<delete immediately> because the comment when found will inevitably be guff.

The Gnome3.2 discussion is, to me, a classic example of the reasons for
top posting if only to reduce the clutter.

How's that for reinventing the merry-go-round!
Cheers
Roger

Craig White 12-04-2011 03:30 AM

Gnome 3.2 - eh what! --- Top Posting?

On Sun, 2011-12-04 at 14:17 +1100, Roger wrote:

> Of some curiosity is the adjacent discussion about tablets.
> It seems tablets are mainly portrait and monitors are landscape, maybe
> this is why the devs put the icons down the side, gotta be some reason.
> There's room for both. I couldn't do blender, Inkscape, Scribus or
> Drupal on a tablet, touch screen or not.
----
so you think... Ice Cream Sandwich has stylus input built in and
pressure sensitive too.

Most serious artists I know use a wacom tablet and with a pressure
sensitive stylus, these tablets could reasonably give you the essential
Cintiq type of operation.

Craig

believed to be clean.

Roger 12-04-2011 03:40 AM

Gnome 3.2 - eh what! --- Top Posting?

Of some curiosity is the adjacent discussion about tablets.
It seems tablets are mainly portrait and monitors are landscape, maybe

> Most serious artists I know use a wacom tablet and with a pressure
> sensitive stylus, these tablets could reasonably give you the essential
> Cintiq type of operation.
>
> Craig
Thanks Craig, I know wacom tablets and pressure sensitive stylus's, I
must be getting that large flat touch screen thingy folks carry round in
place of laptops confused with tablets. Dunno the name of those large
flat touch screen thingies.
Roger

Patrick O'Callaghan 12-04-2011 03:42 AM

Gnome 3.2 - eh what! --- Top Posting?

On Sun, 2011-12-04 at 14:17 +1100, Roger wrote:
> The Gnome3.2 discussion is, to me, a classic example of the reasons
> for top posting if only to reduce the clutter.

How exactly does it reduce the clutter? In my experience top-posters
*never* trim the quotes, so they just grow exponentially. Just because
you don't have to scroll past them doesn't mean they aren't taking up
space and bandwidth.

Protests about top-posting are usually accompanied by exhortations to
trim quotes to what is relevant.

poc

Frank Murphy 12-04-2011 08:25 AM

Gnome 3.2 - eh what! --- Top Posting?

On 04/12/11 04:42, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

> Protests about top-posting are usually accompanied by exhortations to
> trim quotes to what is relevant.
>
> poc

+1, Similar to this

Frank Murphy
UTF_8 Encoded
Friend of fedoraproject.org

Alan Cox 12-04-2011 01:35 PM

Gnome 3.2 - eh what! --- Top Posting?

> It seems tablets are mainly portrait and monitors are landscape, maybe
> this is why the devs put the icons down the side, gotta be some reason.
> There's room for both. I couldn't do blender, Inkscape, Scribus or
> Drupal on a tablet, touch screen or not.

Most tablets orient either way, even the ones running Linux or Windows.
It's also a bit of an artificial divide given many PC class tablets will
hotplug happily into an external display and provide full 1080p in either
orientation.

It's also getting closer to the point a microprojector will fit into
phone or tablet - now that will have fun opportunities !

Alan

Tim 12-04-2011 09:25 PM

Gnome 3.2 - eh what! --- Top Posting?

On Sun, 2011-12-04 at 14:35 +0000, Alan Cox wrote:
> It's also getting closer to the point a microprojector will fit into
> phone or tablet - now that will have fun opportunities !

I've seen one stuck into a video camera, so that you can watch what you
shot without having to figure out how the hell to connect your camera to
someone else's tv.

Or, as is often the case with modern no-tape cameras, you really do need
to play back from the camera, and people can't connect them to any tv,
because they don't have the cable, or can't figure it out.

I'm forever being asked to transfer people's home movies to a DVD,
because they can't. So much for buying your new fancy high def camera,
when you're going to watch it in standard def... Blueray is still slow
to take off, it's still horribly expensive (other than merely playing
back movie releases).

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686