Old 12-03-2011, 09:26 PM
"Gregory P. Ennis"

Default F16 and gnome 3.2

I have done a F16 new install on an HP Pavilion g series. When I did a
first boot the system advised me it was going to switch to gnome
fallback mode. Is this something I am going to need to live with or is
their a way to retry gnome 3.2. Sure would appreciate your help.

Greg Ennis

Old 12-05-2011, 08:41 AM
Rich Boyce

On 03/12/11 22:26, Gregory P. Ennis wrote:
> I have done a F16 new install on an HP Pavilion g series. When I did a
> first boot the system advised me it was going to switch to gnome
> fallback mode. Is this something I am going to need to live with or is
> their a way to retry gnome 3.2. Sure would appreciate your help.

It's likely to be down to your graphics hardware - Gnome 3.2 requires
more hardware acceleration than traditional desktop environments. What
graphics hardware does the machine have? You can see this by running

lspci -v | grep VGA

Rich

Old 12-05-2011, 01:30 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Mon, 2011-12-05 at 09:41 +0000, Rich Boyce wrote:
> On 03/12/11 22:26, Gregory P. Ennis wrote:
> > I have done a F16 new install on an HP Pavilion g series. When I did a
> > first boot the system advised me it was going to switch to gnome
> > fallback mode. Is this something I am going to need to live with or is
> > their a way to retry gnome 3.2. Sure would appreciate your help.
>
> It's likely to be down to your graphics hardware - Gnome 3.2 requires
> more hardware acceleration than traditional desktop environments. What
> graphics hardware does the machine have? You can see this by running
>
> lspci -v | grep VGA
>
> Rich

In my case thew result is:
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82945G/GZ
Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02) (prog-if oo (VGA Controller)

How exactly is this controller lacking and how do you identify a video
controller that will work with Gnome w3.2?

Old 12-05-2011, 02:23 PM
Rich Boyce

On 05/12/11 14:30, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-12-05 at 09:41 +0000, Rich Boyce wrote:
>> On 03/12/11 22:26, Gregory P. Ennis wrote:
>>> I have done a F16 new install on an HP Pavilion g series. When I did a
>>> first boot the system advised me it was going to switch to gnome
>>> fallback mode. Is this something I am going to need to live with or is
>>> their a way to retry gnome 3.2. Sure would appreciate your help.
>>
>> It's likely to be down to your graphics hardware - Gnome 3.2 requires
>> more hardware acceleration than traditional desktop environments. What
>> graphics hardware does the machine have? You can see this by running
>>
>> lspci -v | grep VGA
>>
>> Rich
>
> In my case thew result is:
> 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82945G/GZ
> Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02) (prog-if oo (VGA Controller)
>
> How exactly is this controller lacking and how do you identify a video
> controller that will work with Gnome w3.2?

I've just been trying to find this out, and not succeeded after a few
minutes of googling. The Gnome folk say that 'accelerated graphics
hardware' is needed.

However, I have a machine here with an intel 82945G/GZ and it can run
Gnome-shell fine. So this is a little odd. Can you just run this to make
sure you have gnome-shell installed:

yum list gnome-shell

If it says 'Available' instead of 'Installed', then you can install it with:

sudo yum install gnome-shell

Reboot, then see if you get gnome-shell when you log in.

Rich

Old 12-06-2011, 12:00 AM
Aaron Konstam

> > How exactly is this controller lacking and how do you identify a video
> > controller that will work with Gnome w3.2?
>
> I've just been trying to find this out, and not succeeded after a few
> minutes of googling. The Gnome folk say that 'accelerated graphics
> hardware' is needed.
>
> However, I have a machine here with an intel 82945G/GZ and it can run
> Gnome-shell fine. So this is a little odd. Can you just run this to make
> sure you have gnome-shell installed:
>
> yum list gnome-shell
>
> If it says 'Available' instead of 'Installed', then you can install it with:
>
> sudo yum install gnome-shell
>
> Reboot, then see if you get gnome-shell when you log in.
>
> Rich
gnome-shell is installed but I only get fail-safe mode.

Any other ideas?

Old 12-06-2011, 01:20 PM
Rich Boyce

On 06/12/11 01:00, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> gnome-shell is installed but I only get fail-safe mode.
>
> Any other ideas?

Which version of gnome do you have installed? 3.2? I know 3.0 didn't
work with this intel chip.

yum list gnome-shell should tell you this.

Rich

Old 12-06-2011, 10:08 PM
"Gregory P. Ennis"

On 03/12/11 22:26, Gregory P. Ennis wrote:
> I have done a F16 new install on an HP Pavilion g series. When I did a
> first boot the system advised me it was going to switch to gnome
> fallback mode. Is this something I am going to need to live with or is
> their a way to retry gnome 3.2. Sure would appreciate your help.

It's likely to be down to your graphics hardware - Gnome 3.2 requires
more hardware acceleration than traditional desktop environments. What
graphics hardware does the machine have? You can see this by running

lspci -v | grep VGA

Rich

Rich,

Thanks for your help !!! This is a new machine that came with Windows
7. I wasted the Windows 7 OS when I installed F16.

Here are the results :

00:01.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Device 9648 (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])

Greg

Old 12-06-2011, 10:10 PM
"Gregory P. Ennis"

On 05/12/11 14:30, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-12-05 at 09:41 +0000, Rich Boyce wrote:
>> On 03/12/11 22:26, Gregory P. Ennis wrote:
>>> I have done a F16 new install on an HP Pavilion g series. When I did a
>>> first boot the system advised me it was going to switch to gnome
>>> fallback mode. Is this something I am going to need to live with or is
>>> their a way to retry gnome 3.2. Sure would appreciate your help.
>>
>> It's likely to be down to your graphics hardware - Gnome 3.2 requires
>> more hardware acceleration than traditional desktop environments. What
>> graphics hardware does the machine have? You can see this by running
>>
>> lspci -v | grep VGA
>>
>> Rich
>
> In my case thew result is:
> 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82945G/GZ
> Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02) (prog-if oo (VGA Controller)
>
> How exactly is this controller lacking and how do you identify a video
> controller that will work with Gnome w3.2?

I've just been trying to find this out, and not succeeded after a few
minutes of googling. The Gnome folk say that 'accelerated graphics
hardware' is needed.

However, I have a machine here with an intel 82945G/GZ and it can run
Gnome-shell fine. So this is a little odd. Can you just run this to make
sure you have gnome-shell installed:

yum list gnome-shell

If it says 'Available' instead of 'Installed', then you can install it with:

sudo yum install gnome-shell

Reboot, then see if you get gnome-shell when you log in.

Rich

Rich,

Mine has gnome-shell already installed as well.

Greg

Old 12-06-2011, 10:13 PM
"Gregory P. Ennis"

On 06/12/11 01:00, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> gnome-shell is installed but I only get fail-safe mode.
>
> Any other ideas?

Which version of gnome do you have installed? 3.2? I know 3.0 didn't
work with this intel chip.

yum list gnome-shell should tell you this.

Rich
Rich,

I have gnome 3.2 for sure :

gnome-shell.x86_64 3.2.1-2.fc16 @anaconda-0

Any other ideas??

Greg

Old 12-07-2011, 08:04 AM
Rich Boyce

On 06/12/11 23:08, Gregory P. Ennis wrote:
> On 03/12/11 22:26, Gregory P. Ennis wrote:
>> I have done a F16 new install on an HP Pavilion g series. When I did a
>> first boot the system advised me it was going to switch to gnome
>> fallback mode. Is this something I am going to need to live with or is
>> their a way to retry gnome 3.2. Sure would appreciate your help.
>
> It's likely to be down to your graphics hardware - Gnome 3.2 requires
> more hardware acceleration than traditional desktop environments. What
> graphics hardware does the machine have? You can see this by running
>
> lspci -v | grep VGA
>
> Rich
>
> Rich,
>
> Thanks for your help !!!

No problem.

> Here are the results :
>
> 00:01.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Device 9648 (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])

Ah, I think you probably need to install a driver for your ATI card. I
would recommend using the 'akmod-catalyst' package from the rpmfusion
repository. Here's their website:

http://rpmfusion.org/

Basically you follow the instructions to enable it on your system, and
then type

sudo yum clean all
sudo yum install akmod-catalyst xorg-x11-drv-catalyst

Reboot, and you should be using Gnome shell (unless you've created or
modified any files in /etc/X11).

Rich