Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Fedora User (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/)
-   -   kernel upgrade bug? (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/605950-kernel-upgrade-bug.html)

Scott Doty 12-03-2011 02:56 PM

kernel upgrade bug?
 
On 12/03/2011 04:30 AM, Scott van Looy wrote:
>
> Isn't there supposed to be an initramfs for 3.1.2-1?

My system has:

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 15945815 Dec 1 21:24
initramfs-3.1.2-1.fc16.x86_64.img

So yes, you should have one.

> Is this a bug?

Depends. If you used preupgrade to move from f15 to f16, it's probably
a bug. If you used yum to do so, I'm not sure that that is an
"approved" method of upgrading...one does so at their own risk.

> If there's supposed to be one, if so, how can I generate one? Once I have, do I need to reinstall grub?
>

You could use dracut to build the initrd, but you're probably better off
re-installing the kernel package. Something like:

$ su -
# yumdownloader kernel
# rpm -ivh --force kernel.package.file.name.rpm

You don't need to re-install grub, but you should double-check grub.conf
before rebooting to the new kernel.

Also, I do believe f16 includes a move to grub2 -- at least, the tools
are installed after I ran preupgrade & upgraded. But my system was left
still using grub. That's not such a bad thing, since the grub2.conf
syntax has completely changed, making us all grub noobs again.

There's also a wiki page somewhere that talks about post-upgrade
cleanups one should perform to make sure old packages are thoroughly
removed...ask in #fedora about that, or maybe someone will post the link.

-Scott

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org

Scott van Looy 12-03-2011 07:14 PM

kernel upgrade bug?
 
On 3 Dec 2011, at 15:56, Scott Doty wrote:

> On 12/03/2011 04:30 AM, Scott van Looy wrote:
>>
>> Isn't there supposed to be an initramfs for 3.1.2-1?
>
> My system has:
>
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 15945815 Dec 1 21:24
> initramfs-3.1.2-1.fc16.x86_64.img
>
> So yes, you should have one.
>
>> Is this a bug?
>
> Depends. If you used preupgrade to move from f15 to f16, it's probably
> a bug. If you used yum to do so, I'm not sure that that is an
> "approved" method of upgrading...one does so at their own risk.

I did. It's been doing this for a little while now, I just wanted to double check the new kernel is the same.
What's new is that it didn't even tell me there was an error this time…I thought it might have just worked :)

>
>> If there's supposed to be one, if so, how can I generate one? Once I have, do I need to reinstall grub?
>>
>
> You could use dracut to build the initrd, but you're probably better off
> re-installing the kernel package. Something like:
>
> $ su -
> # yumdownloader kernel
> # rpm -ivh --force kernel.package.file.name.rpm

I tried yum reinstall kernel and got the same error.

>
> You don't need to re-install grub, but you should double-check grub.conf
> before rebooting to the new kernel.

I currently have grub and grub2 - how can I tell which my system is using? Or do I just amend grub2 then run grub2-install /dev/sda?

>
> Also, I do believe f16 includes a move to grub2 -- at least, the tools
> are installed after I ran preupgrade & upgraded. But my system was left
> still using grub. That's not such a bad thing, since the grub2.conf
> syntax has completely changed, making us all grub noobs again.
>
> There's also a wiki page somewhere that talks about post-upgrade
> cleanups one should perform to make sure old packages are thoroughly
> removed...ask in #fedora about that, or maybe someone will post the link.

Yeah, I followed all that.
I was given some advice a while back to run dracut in sh -x - that works for me (but installing the rpm in sh -x doesn't work for me)
But it doesn't work in bash.

/sbin/dracut initramfs-3.1.2-1.fc16.x86_64.img 3.1.2-1.fc16.x86_64 in bash just prints out the help associated with dracut, as if I'd not given it any arguments.
sh -x /sbin/dracut initramfs-3.1.2-1.fc16.x86_64.img 3.1.2-1.fc16.x86_64 works

I have no real idea what the issue could be, if you or anyone else has any suggestions it'd be appreciated!

Scott
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org

Scott Doty 12-03-2011 08:57 PM

kernel upgrade bug?
 
On 12/03/2011 12:14 PM, Scott van Looy wrote:
> On 3 Dec 2011, at 15:56, Scott Doty wrote:
>
>> On 12/03/2011 04:30 AM, Scott van Looy wrote:
>>> Isn't there supposed to be an initramfs for 3.1.2-1?
>> My system has:
>>
>> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 15945815 Dec 1 21:24
>> initramfs-3.1.2-1.fc16.x86_64.img
>>
>> So yes, you should have one.
>>
>>> Is this a bug?
>> Depends. If you used preupgrade to move from f15 to f16, it's probably
>> a bug. If you used yum to do so, I'm not sure that that is an
>> "approved" method of upgrading...one does so at their own risk.
> I did. It's been doing this for a little while now, I just wanted to double check the new kernel is the same.
> What's new is that it didn't even tell me there was an error this time…I thought it might have just worked :)
>
>>> If there's supposed to be one, if so, how can I generate one? Once I have, do I need to reinstall grub?
>>>
>> You could use dracut to build the initrd, but you're probably better off
>> re-installing the kernel package. Something like:
>>
>> $ su -
>> # yumdownloader kernel
>> # rpm -ivh --force kernel.package.file.name.rpm
> I tried yum reinstall kernel and got the same error.

What error? (You didn't mention one before.)

Also, you might try using the rpm command, unless you'd rather not. ;)

>> You don't need to re-install grub, but you should double-check grub.conf
>> before rebooting to the new kernel.
> I currently have grub and grub2 - how can I tell which my system is using? Or do I just amend grub2 then run grub2-install /dev/sda?

I am not sure what the status of grub2 is -- and as I said before, I'm a
grub2 noob. ;)

But you can find out the version of grub installed on /dev/sda with:

# file - < /dev/sda

(You need the dash to tell file(1) to read from stdin).

>> Also, I do believe f16 includes a move to grub2 -- at least, the tools
>> are installed after I ran preupgrade& upgraded. But my system was left
>> still using grub. That's not such a bad thing, since the grub2.conf
>> syntax has completely changed, making us all grub noobs again.
>>
>> There's also a wiki page somewhere that talks about post-upgrade
>> cleanups one should perform to make sure old packages are thoroughly
>> removed...ask in #fedora about that, or maybe someone will post the link.
> Yeah, I followed all that.
> I was given some advice a while back to run dracut in sh -x - that works for me (but installing the rpm in sh -x doesn't work for me)
> But it doesn't work in bash.
>
> /sbin/dracut initramfs-3.1.2-1.fc16.x86_64.img 3.1.2-1.fc16.x86_64 in bash just prints out the help associated with dracut, as if I'd not given it any arguments.
> sh -x /sbin/dracut initramfs-3.1.2-1.fc16.x86_64.img 3.1.2-1.fc16.x86_64 works
>
> I have no real idea what the issue could be, if you or anyone else has any suggestions it'd be appreciated!
>

Is the error you mentioned earlier from dracut? Might want to check to
ensure you have one (and only one) dracut installed:

$ rpm -qa | grep dracut
dracut-013-18.fc16.noarch

-Scott

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org

Scott van Looy 12-04-2011 09:56 AM

kernel upgrade bug?
 
On 3 Dec 2011, at 21:57, Scott Doty wrote:

> On 12/03/2011 12:14 PM, Scott van Looy wrote:
>> On 3 Dec 2011, at 15:56, Scott Doty wrote:
>>
>>> On 12/03/2011 04:30 AM, Scott van Looy wrote:
>>>> Isn't there supposed to be an initramfs for 3.1.2-1?
>>> My system has:
>>>
>>> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 15945815 Dec 1 21:24
>>> initramfs-3.1.2-1.fc16.x86_64.img
>>>
>>> So yes, you should have one.
>>>
>>>> Is this a bug?
>>> Depends. If you used preupgrade to move from f15 to f16, it's probably
>>> a bug. If you used yum to do so, I'm not sure that that is an
>>> "approved" method of upgrading...one does so at their own risk.
>> I did. It's been doing this for a little while now, I just wanted to double check the new kernel is the same.
>> What's new is that it didn't even tell me there was an error this time…I thought it might have just worked :)
>>
>>>> If there's supposed to be one, if so, how can I generate one? Once I have, do I need to reinstall grub?
>>>>
>>> You could use dracut to build the initrd, but you're probably better off
>>> re-installing the kernel package. Something like:
>>>
>>> $ su -
>>> # yumdownloader kernel
>>> # rpm -ivh --force kernel.package.file.name.rpm
>> I tried yum reinstall kernel and got the same error.
>
> What error? (You didn't mention one before.)

Sorry, for the whole of F15 I was getting an error when upgrading.

Installing : kernel-3.1.2-1.fc16.x86_64 1/1
Non-fatal POSTTRANS scriptlet failure in rpm package kernel-3.1.2-1.fc16.x86_64

Installed:
kernel.x86_64 0:3.1.2-1.fc16

Complete!

Which in itself is a lie, as it leaves the system unbootable...

>
> Also, you might try using the rpm command, unless you'd rather not. ;)

kernel-3.1.2-1.fc16.x86_64.rpm | 24 MB 00:03
[root@novak ~]# rpm -ivh --force kernel-3.1.2-1.fc16.x86_64.rpm
Preparing... ########################################### [100%]
1:kernel ########################################### [100%]
Usage: /sbin/dracut [OPTION]... <initramfs> <kernel-version>
...... the whole of dracut's help file .....
mkinitrd failed
warning: %posttrans(kernel-3.1.2-1.fc16.x86_64) scriptlet failed, exit status 1

I have no idea what would cause dracut to fail in this way. I can only think maybe environment settings or something?

>
>>> You don't need to re-install grub, but you should double-check grub.conf
>>> before rebooting to the new kernel.
>> I currently have grub and grub2 - how can I tell which my system is using? Or do I just amend grub2 then run grub2-install /dev/sda?
>
> I am not sure what the status of grub2 is -- and as I said before, I'm a
> grub2 noob. ;)
>
> But you can find out the version of grub installed on /dev/sda with:
>
> # file - < /dev/sda
>
> (You need the dash to tell file(1) to read from stdin).

/dev/stdin: x86 boot sector, LInux i386 boot LOader; GRand Unified Bootloader, stage1 version 0x3, stage2 address 0x2000, stage2 segment 0x200; partition 1: ID=0x83, active, starthead 1, startsector 63, 208782 sectors; partition 2: ID=0x83, starthead 0, startsector 208845, 117210240 sectors; partition 3: ID=0x83, starthead 254, startsector 117420032, 78137344 sectors; partition 4: ID=0x5, starthead 254, startsector 195559245, 390508020 sectors, code offset 0x63
bash-4.2#

Not sure if that's grub or grub2, mind ;)

>
>>> Also, I do believe f16 includes a move to grub2 -- at least, the tools
>>> are installed after I ran preupgrade& upgraded. But my system was left
>>> still using grub. That's not such a bad thing, since the grub2.conf
>>> syntax has completely changed, making us all grub noobs again.
>>>
>>> There's also a wiki page somewhere that talks about post-upgrade
>>> cleanups one should perform to make sure old packages are thoroughly
>>> removed...ask in #fedora about that, or maybe someone will post the link.
>> Yeah, I followed all that.
>> I was given some advice a while back to run dracut in sh -x - that works for me (but installing the rpm in sh -x doesn't work for me)
>> But it doesn't work in bash.
>>
>> /sbin/dracut initramfs-3.1.2-1.fc16.x86_64.img 3.1.2-1.fc16.x86_64 in bash just prints out the help associated with dracut, as if I'd not given it any arguments.
>> sh -x /sbin/dracut initramfs-3.1.2-1.fc16.x86_64.img 3.1.2-1.fc16.x86_64 works
>>
>> I have no real idea what the issue could be, if you or anyone else has any suggestions it'd be appreciated!
>>
>
> Is the error you mentioned earlier from dracut? Might want to check to
> ensure you have one (and only one) dracut installed:
>
> $ rpm -qa | grep dracut
> dracut-013-18.fc16.noarch

dracut-013-19.fc16.noarch yup.

I've checked through the dracut.conf file, it's the default, but I have the following line in it:

# install local /etc/mdadm.conf
mdadmconf="yes"

# install local /etc/lvm/lvm.conf
lvmconf="yes"

/etc/lvm.conf exists, /etc/mdadm.conf doesn't and yum whatprovides /etc/mdadm.conf gives me nothing. I don't know if that would cause this behaviour though.

Am perplexed and confused :)

Scott

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org

Scott van Looy 12-04-2011 11:05 AM

kernel upgrade bug?
 
On 4 Dec 2011, at 10:56, Scott van Looy wrote:

<snip>

> Am perplexed and confused :)

So I force removed bash and then reinstalled everything that dracut depends on and then reinstalled dracut and that seems to have fixed it.
Fun Sunday morning for me :)

Thanks for your help!

Scott
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:33 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.