Old 03-26-2008, 09:17 AM
Rob

Default Firefox: how to disable annoying flash animations?

Hello,

I use Firefox 2.0.0.12 with Fedora 7.
Also flash-plugin-9.0.115.0-release installed.

Some sites have very, very annoying flash animations
as advertisements. Those make it very difficult to
concentrate on the text I want to read on that page.

Hence, is there a way to stop those animations from
'animating' and distracting my attention, unless I
allow them (something similar to pop-ups).

Does that exist in firefox?

Thanks,
Rob.

Old 03-26-2008, 09:19 AM
Nilesh Govindrajan

Rob wrote:

Hello,

I use Firefox 2.0.0.12 with Fedora 7.
Also flash-plugin-9.0.115.0-release installed.

Some sites have very, very annoying flash animations
as advertisements. Those make it very difficult to
concentrate on the text I want to read on that page.

Hence, is there a way to stop those animations from
'animating' and distracting my attention, unless I
allow them (something similar to pop-ups).

Does that exist in firefox?

Thanks,
Rob.

Looking for last minute shopping deals?

Use FlashBlock or AdBlock.

AdBlock will completely block the particular flash file, while
FlashBlock will not do it.

FlashBlock will place a link with a icon and clicking it will play the
flash. Unless You click the button flash won't be played.

Old 03-26-2008, 12:48 PM
Carroll Grigsby

On Wednesday 26 March 2008 6:19:56 am Nilesh Govindrajan wrote:
> Rob wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I use Firefox 2.0.0.12 with Fedora 7.
> > Also flash-plugin-9.0.115.0-release installed.
> >
> > Some sites have very, very annoying flash animations
> > as advertisements. Those make it very difficult to
> > concentrate on the text I want to read on that page.
> >
> > Hence, is there a way to stop those animations from
> > 'animating' and distracting my attention, unless I
> > allow them (something similar to pop-ups).
> >
> > Does that exist in firefox?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Rob.
> >

> > __________________________________________________ _______________________
> >___________ Looking for last minute shopping deals?
> > Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.
> > http://tools.search.yahoo.com/newsearch/category.php?category=shopping
>
> Use FlashBlock or AdBlock.
>
> AdBlock will completely block the particular flash file, while
> FlashBlock will not do it.
>
> FlashBlock will place a link with a icon and clicking it will play the
> flash. Unless You click the button flash won't be played.

Another effective crap filter to disable javascript, only enabling it when
there is something that _you want_ to see rather than wasting your time on
stuff that _they want you_ to see. Guaranteed to lower your blood pressure 10
points.

-- cmg

Old 03-26-2008, 01:10 PM
"Patrick O'Callaghan"

On Wed, 2008-03-26 at 15:49 +0530, Nilesh Govindrajan wrote:
> Rob wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I use Firefox 2.0.0.12 with Fedora 7.
> > Also flash-plugin-9.0.115.0-release installed.
> >
> > Some sites have very, very annoying flash animations
> > as advertisements. Those make it very difficult to
> > concentrate on the text I want to read on that page.
> >
> > Hence, is there a way to stop those animations from
> > 'animating' and distracting my attention, unless I
> > allow them (something similar to pop-ups).
> >
> > Does that exist in firefox?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Rob.
> >

> > __________________________________________________ __________________________________
> > Looking for last minute shopping deals?
> > Find them fast with Yahoo! Search. http://tools.search.yahoo.com/newsearch/category.php?category=shopping
> >

> Use FlashBlock or AdBlock.
>
> AdBlock will completely block the particular flash file, while
> FlashBlock will not do it.
>
> FlashBlock will place a link with a icon and clicking it will play the
> flash. Unless You click the button flash won't be played.

Also the Noscript extension.

poc

Old 03-26-2008, 01:51 PM
John Summerfield

adblock Plus can do it. Download it for the usual charge at mozilla.org.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait
-- Advice
http://webfoot.com/advice/email.top.php
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

You cannot reply off-list:-)

Old 03-26-2008, 02:24 PM
taharka

How do,

On Wed, 2008-03-26 at 09:48 -0400, Carroll Grigsby wrote:
> On Wednesday 26 March 2008 6:19:56 am Nilesh Govindrajan wrote:
> > Rob wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I use Firefox 2.0.0.12 with Fedora 7.
> > > Also flash-plugin-9.0.115.0-release installed.
> > >
> > > Some sites have very, very annoying flash animations
> > > as advertisements. Those make it very difficult to
> > > concentrate on the text I want to read on that page.
> > >
> > > Hence, is there a way to stop those animations from
> > > 'animating' and distracting my attention, unless I
> > > allow them (something similar to pop-ups).
> > >
> > > Does that exist in firefox?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Rob.
> > >

> > > __________________________________________________ _______________________
> > >___________ Looking for last minute shopping deals?
> > > Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.
> > > http://tools.search.yahoo.com/newsearch/category.php?category=shopping
> >
> > Use FlashBlock or AdBlock.
> >
> > AdBlock will completely block the particular flash file, while
> > FlashBlock will not do it.
> >
> > FlashBlock will place a link with a icon and clicking it will play the
> > flash. Unless You click the button flash won't be played.
>
> Another effective crap filter to disable javascript, only enabling it when
> there is something that _you want_ to see rather than wasting your time on
> stuff that _they want you_ to see. Guaranteed to lower your blood pressure 10
> points.

Easy way to disable javascript, is to install the "noscript" extension.
Most recent version/full details at noscript.net :-)

> -- cmg

Have a nice day!!

taharka

Apple Valley, Minnesota U.S.A.

Old 03-26-2008, 06:28 PM
"Vivek J. Patankar"

Rob wrote:

Hence, is there a way to stop those animations from
'animating' and distracting my attention, unless I
allow them (something similar to pop-ups).

I've been using Flashblock.

विवेक ज. पाटणकर (Vivek J. Patankar)

Registered Linux User #374218
Fedora release 8 (Werewolf)