Old 12-02-2011, 07:18 PM
Chris Bredesen

Default Numlock warning on password entry boxes

Why does GNOME warn me that numlock is on? I get warning for capslock;
you can unknowingly botch a password. But numlock? Are there keyboards
for which the non-numeric keys on the d-pad can type valid characters?

Seems odd but I don't want to file a bug until I understand why it is
the way it is; I'm probably missing something.

-CB

Old 12-02-2011, 11:02 PM
Joe Zeff

On 12/02/2011 12:18 PM, Chris Bredesen wrote:
> Are there keyboards
> for which the non-numeric keys on the d-pad can type valid characters?

On every non-laptop keyboard I've ever used, those keys are arrow keys,
and the corner keys have special uses. Try turning off numlock when
you're editing a document and see what they do; they're quite useful, in
fact, and I prefer to work with numlock off whenever possible.

Old 12-02-2011, 11:18 PM
Tim

On Fri, 2011-12-02 at 16:02 -0800, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On every non-laptop keyboard I've ever used, those keys are arrow
> keys, and the corner keys have special uses. Try turning off numlock
> when you're editing a document and see what they do; they're quite
> useful, in fact, and I prefer to work with numlock off whenever
> possible.

I've never seen the point of that. On every non-laptop keyboard that
I've seen (*), those special keys actually have dedicated keys right
next to the numberpad (the page up and down, print screen, etc., keys).
So turning off numlock gives you a second set of the same thing, right
next to them. And you lose the ability to quickly enter numbers.

* Keyboards like these ones, numlock is pointless:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3a/Qwerty.svg

Reminds me of another pet keyboard peeve; I wish they'd put the damn
caps lock and num lock lights next to the damn buttons, or in them, not
on the opposite side of the board, and obscured by burying it in the
cabinet with a teeny tiny hole to shine through, and labelled with weird
legends (usually raised black plastic on a black plastic background).
The sodding things are designed by Bastards Incorporated.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

Old 12-02-2011, 11:25 PM
Joe Zeff

On 12/02/2011 04:18 PM, Tim wrote:
> I've never seen the point of that. On every non-laptop keyboard that
> I've seen (*), those special keys actually have dedicated keys right
> next to the numberpad (the page up and down, print screen, etc., keys).
> So turning off numlock gives you a second set of the same thing, right
> next to them. And you lose the ability to quickly enter numbers.

I very rarely need to enter more than a few numbers at a time, and
mostly use the ones at the top of the keyboard. I'd be just as happy
having only the special keys on the keypad, as I almost never have a use
for the other set. It's a matter of how and when I learned to use the
keyboard, and a personal preference backed by several decades of habit.
The main reason I mentioned it in the first place was to show that
there are actually people who like to work with numlock off, because if
nobody ever did, there'd be no point in having it at all.

Old 12-02-2011, 11:57 PM
Ian Pilcher

On 12/02/2011 02:18 PM, Chris Bredesen wrote:
> Why does GNOME warn me that numlock is on? I get warning for capslock;
> you can unknowingly botch a password. But numlock? Are there keyboards
> for which the non-numeric keys on the d-pad can type valid characters?
>
> Seems odd but I don't want to file a bug until I understand why it is
> the way it is; I'm probably missing something.

Laptops

Old 12-03-2011, 03:53 AM
Hiisi

On 3 December 2011 04:57, Ian Pilcher <arequipeno@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12/02/2011 02:18 PM, Chris Bredesen wrote:
>> Why does GNOME warn me that numlock is on? *I get warning for capslock;
>> you can unknowingly botch a password. *But numlock? *Are there keyboards
>> for which the non-numeric keys on the d-pad can type valid characters?
>>
>> Seems odd but I don't want to file a bug until I understand why it is
>> the way it is; I'm probably missing something.
>
> Laptops

Is there a way to turn it off? This feature irritates me badly. What's
the package name? I would dig through sources, erase those awful lines
of code and recompile it manually.
--
Hiisi.
Spandex is a privilege, not a right.

Old 12-03-2011, 04:04 AM
Ed Greshko

On 12/03/2011 08:18 AM, Tim wrote:
> I've never seen the point of that. On every non-laptop keyboard that
> I've seen (*), those special keys actually have dedicated keys right
> next to the numberpad (the page up and down, print screen, etc., keys).
> So turning off numlock gives you a second set of the same thing, right
> next to them. And you lose the ability to quickly enter numbers.

The dedicated keys do produce different codes than those on the keypad....

KeyPress event, serial 35, synthetic NO, window 0x7600001,
root 0x15a, subw 0x0, time 707839323, (166,-10), root1405,12),
state 0x0, keycode 88 (keysym 0xff99, KP_Down), same_screen YES,
XLookupString gives 0 bytes:
XmbLookupString gives 0 bytes:
XFilterEvent returns: False

KeyPress event, serial 35, synthetic NO, window 0x7600001,
root 0x15a, subw 0x0, time 707850379, (166,-10), root1405,12),
state 0x0, keycode 116 (keysym 0xff54, Down), same_screen YES,
XLookupString gives 0 bytes:
XmbLookupString gives 0 bytes:
XFilterEvent returns: False

I wonder if any application makes use of the differences? FWIW, I
always run with NumLock on.

fools. -- Douglas Adams in "Mostly Harmless