Old 12-02-2011, 10:29 PM
"Michael D. Setzer II"

Default Fedora 16 preupgrade problem?

I have a test machine with Fedora 15 x86_64 and ran preupgrade
and all seemed to go fine. But after reboot, it comes up with the
grub menu and option to upgrade to 16, but then selecting it just
results in a blinking cursor in the upper left. No messages on
screen, no disk activity.

Currently downloading DVD image, but that saying it will take 5
hours more.

Michael D. Setzer II - Computer Science Instructor
Guam Community College Computer Center
mailto:mikes@kuentos.guam.net
mailto:msetzerii@gmail.com
http://www.guam.net/home/mikes
Guam - Where America's Day Begins
G4L Disk Imaging Project maintainer
http://sourceforge.net/projects/g4l/

Number of Seti Units Returned: 19,471
Processing time: 32 years, 290 days, 12 hours, 58 minutes
(Total Hours: 287,489)

BOINC@HOME CREDITS
SETI 11501417.358682 | EINSTEIN 6944863.219851
ROSETTA 3987811.718830 | ABC 9577237.752214

Old 12-04-2011, 06:01 AM
Paul Allen Newell

On 12/02/2011 03:29 PM, Michael D. Setzer II wrote:
> I have a test machine with Fedora 15 x86_64 and ran preupgrade
> and all seemed to go fine. But after reboot, it comes up with the
> grub menu and option to upgrade to 16, but then selecting it just
> results in a blinking cursor in the upper left. No messages on
> screen, no disk activity.
>
> Currently downloading DVD image, but that saying it will take 5
> hours more.
Did it work?

Old 12-04-2011, 06:39 AM
"Michael D. Setzer II"

Send reply to: Community support for Fedora users
<users@lists.fedoraproject.org>

e>

<mailto:users-request@lists.fedoraproject.org?subject=subscribe

> On 12/02/2011 03:29 PM, Michael D. Setzer II wrote:
> > I have a test machine with Fedora 15 x86_64 and ran preupgrade
> > and all seemed to go fine. But after reboot, it comes up with the
> > grub menu and option to upgrade to 16, but then selecting it just
> > results in a blinking cursor in the upper left. No messages on
> > screen, no disk activity.
> >
> > Currently downloading DVD image, but that saying it will take 5
> > hours more.
> Did it work?
Tried to do an upgrade from the DVD and it also failed.
Removed the preupgrade downloaded stuff, and it failed again.
Did a new install and it worked, but this was just a test machine,
so the hardware seems to be ok.

Will have to try on another machine and see if only a clean install
works, or if I can find what the issue is?

Michael D. Setzer II - Computer Science Instructor
Guam Community College Computer Center
mailto:mikes@kuentos.guam.net
mailto:msetzerii@gmail.com
http://www.guam.net/home/mikes
Guam - Where America's Day Begins
G4L Disk Imaging Project maintainer
http://sourceforge.net/projects/g4l/

Number of Seti Units Returned: 19,471
Processing time: 32 years, 290 days, 12 hours, 58 minutes
(Total Hours: 287,489)

BOINC@HOME CREDITS
SETI 11506233.394587 | EINSTEIN 6948627.879851
ROSETTA 3991470.553554 | ABC 9600806.170428

Old 12-04-2011, 06:47 AM
Paul Allen Newell

On 12/03/2011 11:39 PM, Michael D. Setzer II wrote:
> On 3 Dec 2011 at 23:01, Paul Allen Newell wrote:
>
>> Did it work?
> Tried to do an upgrade from the DVD and it also failed.
> Removed the preupgrade downloaded stuff, and it failed again.
> Did a new install and it worked, but this was just a test machine,
> so the hardware seems to be ok.
>
> Will have to try on another machine and see if only a clean install
> works, or if I can find what the issue is?

Michael:

I hope you will post how it turns out

Thanks,
Paul