Old 12-02-2011, 07:41 AM
Mike Dwiggins

Default Partition Management SOLVED I Think

On 12/1/2011 7:35 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 02.12.2011 03:01, schrieb Mark Panen:
>> On 02/12/2011 03:55, Mike Dwiggins wrote:
>>> Windows setup craps out with an
>>> error message saying the drive is corrupted. The best I can figure is
>>> that it can't for some reason overwrite Fedora.
>>>
>>> Any clues on how to clear enough space for Windows or erase the disk so
>>> I can make it a dual boot in the normal fashion?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Mike D.
>> dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda with a live linux cd.
> there is no need to wait hours overwrite the whole disk
>
> "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda bs=512 count=1" overwrites the whole MBR
> and partition table as the "bs=512 count=!" can be used to clone it
> on a new disk for replace a software-raid-drive
>
> BTW: /dev/hda will not exist in recent kernels, it's /dev/sda

I kinda messed up the various suggestions and wound up having to
reinstall a Fedora version so I picked i686 32 bit. Scary as it sounds
it recognized the built-in wireless equipment and That IS compatable
with her work environment. So if the 32 bit install does everything I
need she stays pure Fedora.

I will put this thread on hold and report at a later date.

Stranger things have happened I guess?

Mike D.

Old 12-02-2011, 02:33 PM
Lamar Owen

On Friday, December 02, 2011 03:41:50 AM Mike Dwiggins wrote:
> Scary as it sounds [the i686 32-bit version]
> recognized the built-in wireless equipment and That IS compatable
> with her work environment.

Ah, a wireless network requirement. That's another one to add to the list of things that can force an OS requirement, since Fedora (and other Linux) support for some wireless cards is spotty at best.