Old 12-02-2011, 12:55 AM
Mike Dwiggins

Default Partition Management

My wife's machine is a full up FC14 x86_64 and I now have the joy of
trying to put windows XP on due to constraints at her work.

I figured no problem, Install windows from scratch and constrain the
partition size and reinstall Fedora. Windows setup craps out with an
error message saying the drive is corrupted. The best I can figure is
that it can't for some reason overwrite Fedora.

Any clues on how to clear enough space for Windows or erase the disk so
I can make it a dual boot in the normal fashion?

Thanks

Mike D.

Old 12-02-2011, 01:01 AM
Mark Panen

On 02/12/2011 03:55, Mike Dwiggins wrote:
> My wife's machine is a full up FC14 x86_64 and I now have the joy of
> trying to put windows XP on due to constraints at her work.
>
> I figured no problem, Install windows from scratch and constrain the
> partition size and reinstall Fedora. Windows setup craps out with an
> error message saying the drive is corrupted. The best I can figure is
> that it can't for some reason overwrite Fedora.
>
> Any clues on how to clear enough space for Windows or erase the disk so
> I can make it a dual boot in the normal fashion?
>
> Thanks
>
> Mike D.

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda with a live linux cd.

--
Cheers
Mark

Old 12-02-2011, 01:31 AM
Reindl Harald

Am 02.12.2011 02:55, schrieb Mike Dwiggins:
> My wife's machine is a full up FC14 x86_64 and I now have the joy of
> trying to put windows XP on due to constraints at her work.
>
> I figured no problem, Install windows from scratch and constrain the
> partition size and reinstall Fedora. Windows setup craps out with an
> error message saying the drive is corrupted. The best I can figure is
> that it can't for some reason overwrite Fedora.
>
> Any clues on how to clear enough space for Windows or erase the disk so
> I can make it a dual boot in the normal fashion?

why dual boot this days?

"windows XP on due to constraints at her work" sounds not
like playing 3d games and all other things are running fine
in a virtual machine, most time faster than a physical
winxp, without driver troubles and you can take the winxp
to the next computer as any other data-file

Old 12-02-2011, 01:31 AM
Genes MailLists

> On 02/12/2011 03:55, Mike Dwiggins wrote:
>> My wife's machine is a full up FC14 x86_64 and I now have the joy of
>> trying to put windows XP on due to constraints at her work.
>>
>> I figured no problem, Install windows from scratch and constrain the
>> partition size and reinstall Fedora. Windows setup craps out with an
>> error message saying the drive is corrupted. The best I can figure is
>> that it can't for some reason overwrite Fedora.
>>
>> Any clues on how to clear enough space for Windows or erase the disk so
>> I can make it a dual boot in the normal fashion?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Mike D.

parted magic (similar to gparted) I found to be very nice tool -
download the ISO, burn and boot.

http://partedmagic.com

gene

Old 12-02-2011, 01:34 AM
Genes MailLists

On 12/01/2011 09:31 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:

> why dual boot this days?
>
> "windows XP on due to constraints at her work" sounds not
> like playing 3d games and all other things are running fine
> in a virtual machine, most time faster than a physical
> winxp, without driver troubles and you can take the winxp
> to the next computer as any other data-file

Yep - good point - I am running it in a VM (I use Oracle's virtualbox)
works very well indeed -

and it boots a lot faster - and you get all the advantages of a VM
such as disk snapshots, easy ability to copy the entire VM and boot on
different machine etc ..

Old 12-02-2011, 01:35 AM
Reindl Harald

Am 02.12.2011 03:01, schrieb Mark Panen:
> On 02/12/2011 03:55, Mike Dwiggins wrote:
>> Windows setup craps out with an
>> error message saying the drive is corrupted. The best I can figure is
>> that it can't for some reason overwrite Fedora.
>>
>> Any clues on how to clear enough space for Windows or erase the disk so
>> I can make it a dual boot in the normal fashion?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Mike D.
>
> dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda with a live linux cd.

there is no need to wait hours overwrite the whole disk

"dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda bs=512 count=1" overwrites the whole MBR
and partition table as the "bs=512 count=!" can be used to clone it
on a new disk for replace a software-raid-drive

BTW: /dev/hda will not exist in recent kernels, it's /dev/sda

Old 12-02-2011, 11:18 AM
mike cloaked

On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 2:34 AM, Genes MailLists <lists@sapience.com> wrote:
> On 12/01/2011 09:31 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:

>> why dual boot this days?
>>
>> "windows XP on due to constraints at her work" sounds not
>> like playing 3d games and all other things are running fine
>> in a virtual machine, most time faster than a physical
>> winxp, without driver troubles and you can take the winxp
>> to the next computer as any other data-file

> *Yep - good point - I am running it in a VM (I use Oracle's virtualbox)
> works very well indeed -
>
> * and it boots a lot faster - and you get all the advantages of a VM
> such as disk snapshots, easy ability to copy the entire VM and boot on
> different machine etc ..

I'll second that - and in addition it is very easy indeed to make
backups of the VM since they are simply files in the linux system - so
even if the disk dies restoring from backup is simple, and needs no
re-install of XPfrom scratch with its attendant followup preparation
pain - and also if you install XP to a physical machine there is the
inevitable pain of installing all the drivers from scratch, as well as
running the incessant series of Windows update->boot->more Windows
update->boot until you are really irritated with having to baby sit
the whole process in order to click OK every 20 minutes before it will
proceed - once you have the VM set up and up to date then keeping a
backup or restoring Windows is really easy and a lot less painful than
dual booting.

I don't maintain any more Fedora/Windows dual boot machines once I got
used to running XP in a VM (I guess you can do the same for Fedora
with Windows 8 as well)

--
mike c

Old 12-02-2011, 02:29 PM
Lamar Owen

On Thursday, December 01, 2011 09:31:25 PM Reindl Harald wrote:
> Am 02.12.2011 02:55, schrieb Mike Dwiggins:
> > My wife's machine is a full up FC14 x86_64 and I now have the joy of
> > trying to put windows XP on due to constraints at her work.

> why dual boot this days?

'Constraints at work' could mean a lot of different things; I've seen a few enterprise applications that don't work well in a VM for various reasons (anything that needs accurate timing works better on physical hardware, for instance, as does anything that needs access to certain physical hardware devices like hardware dongles (iLok, for instance, works better on physical hardware, and special interface cards, PCI and/or PC Card or Cardbus (or ExpressCard) sometime cannot be made work properly in a VM environment).

More than likely it's the boss simply saying 'you will run Windows XP, period.'

Most people either cannot afford to take a stand on principle (because there are bosses who will fire you if you don't do it their way, regardless) or would rather just fit in. Most people do not have OS freedom at work. Be glad if you do.

Old 12-02-2011, 05:24 PM
les

On Thu, 2011-12-01 at 18:55 -0700, Mike Dwiggins wrote:
> My wife's machine is a full up FC14 x86_64 and I now have the joy of
> trying to put windows XP on due to constraints at her work.
>
> I figured no problem, Install windows from scratch and constrain the
> partition size and reinstall Fedora. Windows setup craps out with an
> error message saying the drive is corrupted. The best I can figure is
> that it can't for some reason overwrite Fedora.
>
> Any clues on how to clear enough space for Windows or erase the disk so
> I can make it a dual boot in the normal fashion?
>
> Thanks
>
> Mike D.
If it is not a laptop, you can put in a second disk with Windows on it.
Then you can either dual boot or use a VM to have access to both.

If a laptop, you could move the whole existing linux to an outboard
drive, and dual boot by simply rebooting with the boot parameters set to
boot external if its available.

Otherwise you will need to repartition the disk. If I were doing that,
I would make a complete backup first just for insurance.

Windows 7 is a nuisance because a lot of my older development apps would
not run. I ended up going all the way to ultimate to get most things
back I needed.

Regards,
Les H